PDA

View Full Version : DVD - HD Upconversion - Yay or Nay

Breadfan
10-03-2007, 01:59 PM
I currently have an RCA dvd player that does HD Upconversion. It's on the fritz, and needs to be replaced.

I'm looking at saving a few bucks on the replacement, and looking at two Phillips DVD players that also are real good at handling other formats (DVDrs, Divx, etc.)

The progressive scan version is only $35, the HD upconversion model is $65.

Is it worth $30 for hd upconversion?

Of note, I have a CRT HDTV that does 1080i. It does not have dvi or hdmi input, so I use the RGB composite for dvd video.

Considering that, would I benefit from HD upconversion or is it snake oil?

If the extra $30 doesn't get me appreciable difference in visual quality on my setup, I don't see a point in wasting it.

Pops
10-03-2007, 02:10 PM
With no Hdmi input it will not upconvert anything. Spend more money and buy a decent one.

Breadfan
10-03-2007, 02:27 PM
My current TV has no hdmi input and it suits my needs at this time, don't see upgrading to a new TV for a long while.

So I won't see a difference on my non-hdmi HDTV with hd-upconversion over progressive scan?

FYI for when I really want to watch movies for a "home theater" effect I built a homemade lcd projector that does about 1080p and is driven by a computer with good dvd playback software, wireless rf remote, and hardware dvd accel, so thats why I'm not super concerned about upping my current TV's specs.

Pops
10-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Will be no difference.

Breadfan
10-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks. :) I didn't wanna be cheap if there'd be a difference on my current setup.

dalucifer
10-03-2007, 02:35 PM
With no Hdmi input it will not upconvert anything. Spend more money and buy a decent one.

not a true statement. You can upconvert with component (RGB), but not as high of a resolution as HDMI. Unless you have a full blown out 1080p TV with a DVD player that upconvert or an HD dvd player you are fine without HDMI. As far as a resolution to set it on, 1080i and 720p are very similar. You most likely will not be able to tell the difference between the 2, but 720p will look better. Just take into consideration on what your TV can handle, than buy accordingly.I would personally buy Samsung, they make some awesome HT products

rvaldez1
10-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Will be no difference.

not a true statement. You can upconvert with component (RGB), but not as high of a resolution as HDMI. Unless you have a full blown out 1080p TV with a DVD player that upconvert or an HD dvd player you are fine without HDMI. As far as a resolution to set it on, 1080i and 720p are very similar. You most likely will not be able to tell the difference between the 2, but 720p will look better. Just take into consideration on what your TV can handle, than buy accordingly.I would personally buy Samsung, they make some awesome HT products

I have to agree with John Here.

dalucifer
10-03-2007, 06:19 PM
I have to agree with John Here.

I never said there would be a difference seen when comparing progressive scan to up converting.. I was more referencing connection preference and that one could upconvert with using a component input.

djbruce26
10-03-2007, 08:23 PM
The upconvert is nice but you won't notice it much unless you plan on getting a new TV in the next 2 years.

Aren Jay
10-03-2007, 11:51 PM
I have a Denon 2910. It is hard to see any difference between up conversion and my Projector without. The projector however does a very good picture .

Denon does make very good DVD players.

musclemerc
10-04-2007, 09:23 AM
I have to agree with John Here.I install and program smart home systems and NO the dvd will not upconvert via the component video out! The upconversion is via the HDMI output only! However there is a convertor you can buy that changes HDMI to Component. Then it will be upconverted via component.:flamer:

Aren Jay
10-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Upconversion works with HDMI and DVI that uses HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) It was developed by Intel.

If you have HDCP support you can use a DVI cable to upconvert. If you do not, it will not work with modern titles, DVD players and TV's.

HDTV is still supported through Analogue Component cables, but for upconversion you need the Digital DVI or HDMI with HDCP.

There is a line doubling tripling and even quadrupling from the past that was similar to Upconversion, but it is not the same thing. It was analogue, did work with component and S-video and Composite but it was not High Definition.

There is also upconversion of signal to cable media but it is not upconversion of signal quality, it just lets you use say s-video to display composite or component to display S-video or composite signals. The signal is the same quality as the original signal it just uses the better cable to connect to the display.