PDA

View Full Version : Fender bender

rvaldez1
10-16-2007, 07:35 PM
After 4 years behind the wheel it happened. I am ok, car is ok, no injuries.

Today I was driving home from class, I made a left turn in a tight street. The steering wheel turned left, but the car did not. I side-swiped a parked car! The car took the hit extremely well, very little damage no airbags, fender is straight, hell the corner lens was still intact...However, the wheel was damaged badly.

As I exited the vehicle I noticed something from the steering on the floor??? could that have simply snapped??? It looked like a tie-rod but I am waiting on the diagnosis from the bodyshop. Today the steering did feel a little weird. Now I have to pay my deductible and a possible insurance rate increase... in the report the officer put that the accident was caused by faulty suspension components. To add insult to injury I just put a set of Ronal R7 wheels custom painted black (same as p2 panther). They are discontinued wheels.

My question is can something just break like that? Do I have a case with ford? I wish I had pics but the car is in the shop.
:mad2:

rvaldez1
10-16-2007, 07:36 PM
I would also like to add that it was dry, and I was not moving quick. 15MPH tops.

rvaldez1
10-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Last addition... The wheel was turned all the way left, and the tire/rim hit the other car as if it was turned all the way to the right.

larryo340
10-16-2007, 07:57 PM
If the tire or wheel hit the other car in the right way it could have snapped a tie-rod. It's allmost unheard of for a tie-rod to just snap, wear out yes, snap in half--doubtful.

rvaldez1
10-16-2007, 08:52 PM
If the tire or wheel hit the other car in the right way it could have snapped a tie-rod. It's allmost unheard of for a tie-rod to just snap, wear out yes, snap in half--doubtful.

exactly what I though, however, what I felt while turning was not normal. It was not a blowout, I have felt those at high and low speeds. It was almost as if the car was aiming for the curb. I have NEVER felt helpless in a car before, until today.

sailsmen
10-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Glad you are ok.

Take a long look at putting the OEM wheels back on.

They make the Marauder and I am unaware of anything out there as well made.

When I first got the car I tolerated them until I realized it is what makes the Marauder a Marauder and not a CV with a set of am wheels.

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Sailsmen, rvaldez has a very nice crown vic sport. (Must look nice with those p2 panther wheels).

But anyways, my passenger tie rod has snapped more than once in my lincoln town car.

Once, going home, I reach my block, then decided to back up the rest of the way into the street to park on the correct side (back in chicago), put the car in reverse, and wouldn't move, actually started to smoke the tires, drive forward, wouldnt move. Took a look to see what the obstruction was, and both wheels were facing inward-no wonder.

Another time about a year ago, broke as I pulled into my drive-way, thank god this has never happend out on the street somewhere, as its become one of my bigger fears when driving the lincoln now.

DOOM
10-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Glad To Hear That Neither You Or The Car Was Seriously Hurt. Hope You Kept The Factory Rims.

JMan
10-17-2007, 03:23 AM
Dude,
I'm very sorry to hear this. I'm glad you are okay and the car's repairable. I'm sure the body shop will make a thorough diag of what happened.

Best luck,

JMan

larryo340
10-17-2007, 07:15 AM
Sailsmen, rvaldez has a very nice crown vic sport. (Must look nice with those p2 panther wheels).

But anyways, my passenger tie rod has snapped more than once in my lincoln town car.

Once, going home, I reach my block, then decided to back up the rest of the way into the street to park on the correct side (back in chicago), put the car in reverse, and wouldn't move, actually started to smoke the tires, drive forward, wouldnt move. Took a look to see what the obstruction was, and both wheels were facing inward-no wonder.

Another time about a year ago, broke as I pulled into my drive-way, thank god this has never happend out on the street somewhere, as its become one of my bigger fears when driving the lincoln now.
Are you using OEM tie-rods?

KillJoy
10-17-2007, 07:25 AM
My question is can something just break like that? Do I have a case with ford?

If you have modified anything with the Wheels OR Suspension, I would be willing to say, that Ford would say, that is the cause of the accident. NOT a faulty part.

:dunno:

KillJoy

rvaldez1
10-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Glad To Hear That Neither You Or The Car Was Seriously Hurt. Hope You Kept The Factory Rims.
Yep, I am hoping that they can track down one ronal wheel though.

If you have modified anything with the Wheels OR Suspension, I would be willing to say, that Ford would say, that is the cause of the accident. NOT a faulty part.

:dunno:

KillJoy

I hear that, the only defense that I have to that against Ford is that the wheels I bought are the same offset, lug spacing and diameter as the OEM wheels. Hell, I even have the same tires on them.

Other than that, thank all of you for the support. No matter how many times I hear that there was nothing I could do, it could have been worse etc. I still am very mad and very dissapointed. I think the uncertainty of not knowing so much right now is killing me more than anything.

I am still in awe that something like this has happened. I know it is one and a million chance.

Since Jan 06' the car has been in the shop for the following,

The mileages are all estimates and some of the earlier work was done while I waited without paperwork (If I was a bit older and not as stupid I would have had it documented)

Misfire - 500 miles (the car was in and out of the dealership for 2 weeks. They replaced a coil pack, and injector)

Misfire - 750 miles (same cylinder, after 3 days of arguing with ford they replaced the engine with a new ford crate)

Exhaust - 2000 miles (exhaust manifold, driver side came loose)

Exhaust - 2300 miles (exhaust manifold came loose again)

Exhaust - 5000 miles (exhaust manifold came loose (new dealer) they replaced a manifold gasket)

Exhaust - 7000 miles (driver side cat was faulty)

Exhaust - 7010 miles (same cat was a lemon)

Electrical - 13000 miles (car was in the shop for 3 days due to an intermittent battery light and rpm drop during low speed manuevers, they replaced the tensioner and idler pullies)

Electrical - 14500 miles (3rd dealer, they stated the problem was the stator, voltage regulator, so the alternator was replaced. to date the problem persists)

sailsmen
10-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Looks like you had 4 problems and 9 times to get them fixed.

IS there a Lemon Law in your state?

rvaldez1
10-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Looks like you had 4 problems and 9 times to get them fixed.

IS there a Lemon Law in your state?

Yes... as a matter of fact we have filed for a lemon law on three cars in the last 7-8 years

Dodge Dakota 05'
Dodge Durango 02'
Kia Sephia 01'

Our lawyer says ford ALWAYS fights and does not settle out of court. I will be thinking about these things in the days to come.

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Are you using OEM tie-rods?

Nope, the cheap pep-boys stuff right now or something similar to that...supposedly guaranteed to meet oem spec, The ford ones were ridiculously marked-up. Bastards.

So remember people, creep SLOWLY onto your driveways if they have a bump to get up on it, otherwise you will eventually minimize the life of your tie rods. I cringe when I see neighbors drive up into their driveways without hitting the brakes at about 10-15 mph...

rvaldez1
10-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Just called the bodyshop and he told me there is an estimate of $2,800. I love this bodyshop, they always replace panels.

He says he has pictures, I have a bent steering knuckle, one broken tie rod end, and one bent tie-rod. We will see what happens.

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Wow almost 3 grand for that. Raul, whats the body shop? I need a good place that can fix my fallen doors/hinges on my lincoln.

gamercfan
10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
I had a tie rod snap on my '96 MGM in a parking lot while the car was turning into a parking space.
In all fairness; my son had been driving the car and the front end had a bad squeak. He thought it was just that body to frame spueak that model usually develops around 60K. The OEM tie rods on the '96 have no place for grease fittings, so as I took the car in for service, the tie rods were getting no lube. I did not know this until after the fact. I am replacing both tie rods with aftermarket with grease fittings.

ChiTownMaraud3r
10-17-2007, 11:51 AM
I had a tie rod snap on my '96 MGM in a parking lot while the car was turning into a parking space.
In all fairness; my son had been driving the car and the front end had a bad squeak. He thought it was just that body to frame spueak that model usually develops around 60K. The OEM tie rods on the '96 have no place for grease fittings, so as I took the car in for service, the tie rods were getting no lube. I did not know this until after the fact. I am replacing both tie rods with aftermarket with grease fittings.

Same here, also a reason I forgot to mention why I didnt go with the oem's, now my passenger tie rod at least gets a lubing every once in a while.

rvaldez1
10-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Wow almost 3 grand for that. Raul, whats the body shop? I need a good place that can fix my fallen doors/hinges on my lincoln.

Acacia Park here on the NW side of the city. They are a bit on the high side in my eyes. BUT, insurance foots the bill and you can not put a price on quality.

rvaldez1
10-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I recieved one picture by my bodyshop today. It looks to me as if the control arm is broken, pic will be up tomorrow when I get to a good scanner. They found 1 wheel ronal corporate, thank god.

J-MAN
10-18-2007, 05:19 PM
At less than 30k when making a left turn it felt as if the front end was sliding on ice(summer) Went right to the dealer and got it fixed. It was so long ago I can't remember what parts were replaced. Sorry.

J-MAN
10-18-2007, 05:22 PM
It was the left outer and inner tie rod ends. Thanks to Roy Pita and him getting my OASIS report!

larryo340
10-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Nope, the cheap pep-boys stuff right now or something similar to that...supposedly guaranteed to meet oem spec, The ford ones were ridiculously marked-up. Bastards.

Key word "supposedly"
I hate to use the very used saying, but here goes:
"You get what you pay for" ;)

rvaldez1
10-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I cant scan with good with quality. It was a rod connected to a hunk of aluminum.

CRUZTAKER
10-19-2007, 08:02 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/6/2/6/ttiwwop.gif................... ..............

rvaldez1
10-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Yes it is and I apologize.