PDA

View Full Version : My next car.

BigCars4Ever
10-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Sorry guys but the Pontiac G8 looks like it will be the replacement for the Marauder in 3-4 years. Should be plenty of used V8 examples on the market by then. Comparable in size to the Panther platform with more interior space. Then there's the availablility of cheap go-fast parts that GM is famous for. Rated at 360 HP and 380 LB-FT of Tq stock. Simple Exhaust and Intake mods can propably sqeeze another 20 Hp out of that. Add cylinder deativation and the talk of VVT and highway fuel milage should be well above what I'm getting now. Oh and its IRS and 400lbs lighter. Better 4 door AutoX'r? Still love the Marauder but I don't want to be a full time mechanic and in about four years that's what my car will end up needing.

ctrlraven
10-22-2007, 10:21 AM
I think the G8 is a hot looking car and has some muscle to back it up but along the same lines at the GTO (hopefully) not because of it having IRS it could have a problem getting that power to the ground when it reached a certain amount of power.

Vortex
10-22-2007, 10:28 AM
In 09 I will sell my Montego and get a new Challenger, Plum Crazy over black leather, big hemi and a manual tranny. I keep the MM (and my pickup).

offroadkarter
10-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Dont sell the MM, sell something else

I plan on keeping my car as long as possible, when i need a new car ill just get the plates switched off my MM and pay it in cash or a loan, but im not selling my MM, ill find a place to stick it.

RoyLPita
10-22-2007, 12:01 PM
I would like to try one with the 6 speed manual.

jonroe
10-22-2007, 12:37 PM
I also liked the looks and features of the G8. I'll wait for the manual transmission. It's not clear when that will be available - some say late in first year and some say in second year. Unless Ford comes up with something interesting I'll be looking at the G8. Actually, my wife may be about ready to trade in the Acura by the time the G8 arrives.

BigCars4Ever
10-22-2007, 01:03 PM
I can't see trying to hold onto the Marauder. Too much plastic that is already turning dry and brittle. I had a 92 Crown vic in 2005. It was a weekly occurence to have some platic part crack, break, or vanish. I can't see the Marauder bieng any better. I was orginally looking for an '96 Impala SS in '05 but every one I looked at had major interior issues due to broken plastic. I think the days of holding onto a car for collector purposes are gone IMO.

Blackened300a
10-22-2007, 01:44 PM
I really like the G8 too but Im holding out to see what the Ford Interceptor is going to look like and offer in the performance department.

rvaldez1
10-22-2007, 06:00 PM
The only problem I have with GM is the damn Onstar system, it should be an option and not standard. Otherwise I would be all over the G8

jimlam56
10-22-2007, 06:14 PM
I can't see trying to hold onto the Marauder. Too much plastic that is already turning dry and brittle. I had a 92 Crown vic in 2005. It was a weekly occurence to have some platic part crack, break, or vanish. I can't see the Marauder bieng any better. I was orginally looking for an '96 Impala SS in '05 but every one I looked at had major interior issues due to broken plastic. I think the days of holding onto a car for collector purposes are gone IMO.

I'm looking at the G8 too Ron, along with the Impala. Coincidentally, I drove a rental V8 Grand Prix all last week. The car was well built, the 305 v8 had plenty of power, but no way would I want a v8 fwd; toomuch torque steer!!!
As far as the plastic, the only way to save a MM is to keep it garaged and car covered, especially where we live!

offroadkarter
10-22-2007, 06:24 PM
The only problem I have with GM is the damn Onstar system, it should be an option and not standard. Otherwise I would be all over the G8

It is an option, our 03 yukon didnt have it but our 07 tahoe does, and you dont have to pay for it if you dont want to ;)

rvaldez1
10-22-2007, 06:30 PM
It is an option, our 03 yukon didnt have it but our 07 tahoe does, and you dont have to pay for it if you dont want to ;)

It is not the money or the option that I disagree with, I actually think some of the options are excellent. It is the Big Brother reason behind them making it standard, why would you give someone that much control over your vehicle, not to mention it is a major PITA to add things on to GM vehicles, IE Stereos.

96DiamondVIII
10-22-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm thinking the replacement for the MM (at least as a daily, might keep it and mod it) will be either a Caddy (CTS-V or STS-V), possibly the G8, or an Audi (S5, S6, or S8).

Of course this will probably four years or more from now...

GordonB
10-22-2007, 07:47 PM
OK for me, the ignorant one, pls clue me in on what GM platform the Pontiac G8 is based on. Is it a wrong-way driver or a RearDrive car?

I thought it was a variant of the Impala FWD V-8 or am I mistaken?

GordonB

MarauderTJA
10-22-2007, 07:54 PM
As far as the plastic, the only way to save a MM is to keep it garaged and car covered, especially where we live!

Your right Jim^^^^^, that is the key to preserve "any cars" exterior & interior.

96DiamondVIII
10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
The G8 is based on a global (Australia, mainly) RWD platform--I *think* the car the G8 will be based on is already in production there as a Holden. What you're thinking of is the current generation Grand Prix--has the same V8 as the Impala SS but is FWD. The G8 will replace that car.

BigCars4Ever
10-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Your right Jim^^^^^, that is the key to preserve "any cars" exterior & interior.

I don't think my employer will let me put up a garage in the parking lot at work:bigcry:

Tom, off subject but do you have a cage in your car. I thought once bellow 11 secs it was an NHRA requirement?

hot-rauder
10-23-2007, 09:57 AM

i agree however i do still baby the car so that the kid tha twants it after me can pay a lot for it too lol

hot-rauder
10-23-2007, 10:08 AM
The G8 is based on a global (Australia, mainly) RWD platform--I *think* the car the G8 will be based on is already in production there as a Holden. What you're thinking of is the current generation Grand Prix--has the same V8 as the Impala SS but is FWD. The G8 will replace that car.

yes there is a 3 page article on it in motor trend. it is in production in australia as a Holden Commadore SS-V, Korea as a Daewoo LX4, China as the Buick Park Avenue, a Chevy Caprice in the Middle East, and a Vauxhall VXR* in the U.K.... ill scan in the page so youguys can see the differences. sorry about quality.

the car was designed so that it could easily be manufactured as either left or right hand drive. it was also designed to have a jumble of motors in it. thisway they couldputa 4 banger in it for korea and v6 for china. also to fit americas wants a 6.0 liter corvette ls2. this car is going to revolutionize pontiac.... expected great sales

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z302/blkmarauder/LastScan.jpg

jonas1022
10-23-2007, 11:24 AM
yes there is a 3 page article on it in motor trend. it is in production in australia as a Holden Commadore SS-V, Korea as a Daewoo LX4, China as the Buick Park Avenue, a Chevy Caprice in the Middle East, and a Vauxhall VXR* in the U.K.... ill scan in the page so youguys can see the differences. sorry about quality.

the car was designed so that it could easily be manufactured as either left or right hand drive. it was also designed to have a jumble of motors in it. thisway they couldputa 4 banger in it for korea and v6 for china. also to fit americas wants a 6.0 liter corvette ls2. this car is going to revolutionize pontiac.... expected great sales

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z302/blkmarauder/LastScan.jpg
Just another Pontiac Lemons...:puke:

hot-rauder
10-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Just another Pontiac Lemons...:puke:

umm better styling

96DiamondVIII
10-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I'd say it's a bit different. The LeMans (at least the 80's variant) was a rebadged Daewoo. This car is a truly global GM RWD platform that just happens to have a Daewoo as one of its variants.

And does anyone else think the Buick Park Avenue pictured would do well here too? Looks a lot more aggressive than any of our Buicks. (Though the Lacrosse Super may be one of the biggest sleepers available today...300hp/323tq 5.3 V8 in one of the most unremarkable bodies out there...)

dreydin
10-23-2007, 04:35 PM
i was gonna lol bc i thought you meant the G6... but i didnt know about this! NICE!

Edit: below :beer:
http://files.photojerk.com/mrpig286/6g8.jpg

Aren Jay
10-23-2007, 06:39 PM
It is a mid sized car barely bigger than a 5 series BMW.

In fact it is smaller than the 07 Taurus, not the Fivehundred version.

You might as well just go get yourself a Used 2003 Jaguar S-Type R. Similar size, inside and out, more powerful and faster. Cheaper too.

If Pontiac is going to go through all the trouble of bringing out a big fast sedan why don't they make something spectacular rather than just re-introduce a 5 year old car, 7000 miles away.

Make the G8 800 bhp, give it full sized doors with those RX8 half suicide doors, forward flip open hood and AWD. 6,7 or 8 speed sequntial shift transmission and 1.3g skidpad. Now that would be amazing. Then bring out the V6 version for the ordinary people to buy.

hot-rauder
10-23-2007, 07:26 PM
It is a mid sized car barely bigger than a 5 series BMW.

In fact it is smaller than the 07 Taurus, not the Fivehundred version.

You might as well just go get yourself a Used 2003 Jaguar S-Type R. Similar size, inside and out, more powerful and faster. Cheaper too.

If Pontiac is going to go through all the trouble of bringing out a big fast sedan why don't they make something spectacular rather than just re-introduce a 5 year old car, 7000 miles away.

Make the G8 800 bhp, give it full sized doors with those RX8 half suicide doors, forward flip open hood and AWD. 6,7 or 8 speed sequntial shift transmission and 1.3g skidpad. Now that would be amazing. Then bring out the V6 version for the ordinary people to buy.

not to say your expectaitions of the g8 you proposed were outlandish but honsetly think about it. 800hp, some ferraris dont push that. 8 speed, 6 is enough... 8 would be a hassle. oh and for numbers, well the v6 variant ofthe G8 will beat a pointiac grand prix gxp... now shoehorn in a 6.0 litre corvette ls2... with somewhere around 360-365hp andhold on. also the price is around 25grand.... not bad atall. it also has AFM (active fuel managment) a first for pontiac and will replace the old Displacement on Demand... i dont think you could ask for more. considering the MM, although awesome, is very minimalist when it comes to items it could have placed in it, pontiac has thought this through and i think hasa winning product.

hot-rauder
10-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I'd say it's a bit different. The LeMans (at least the 80's variant) was a rebadged Daewoo. This car is a truly global GM RWD platform that just happens to have a Daewoo as one of its variants.

And does anyone else think the Buick Park Avenue pictured would do well here too? Looks a lot more aggressive than any of our Buicks. (Though the Lacrosse Super may be one of the biggest sleepers available today...300hp/323tq 5.3 V8 in one of the most unremarkable bodies out there...)

love the "new" park ave... i hope they bring it over!

marauder307
10-26-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm looking at the G8 too Ron, along with the Impala. Coincidentally, I drove a rental V8 Grand Prix all last week. The car was well built, the 305 v8 had plenty of power, but no way would I want a v8 fwd; toomuch torque steer!!!

I've got one of those Grand Prixs...it's the GXP version. 5.3L V-8 (327 c.i.d), 303 hp, with AFM (the Pontiac answer to Chrysler's D-O-D, same idea---turns off half the cylinders at a steady-state hwy cruise). The concept works; on my recent cross-country trip from L.A. to St Louis (DoD move), I got 30.2 mpg out of it on the flats east of Denver.

Know what you mean about the torque steer; this is my second Pontiac GXP (the first was a 2005 Bonneville with the Caddy Northstar V-8 in it). Full power from the light, and the sucker wants to run for the ditch.

As for the plastic, well...you aren't going to be improving your lot in life with the Pontiac. There's even more plastic in there than the Marauder (and yes, I have owned both!)

Aren Jay
10-27-2007, 07:21 PM
I have to admit my ex '94 Firebird did hold a special place in my heart. The Red Batmobile. Red light up dash like a fighter cockpit, T roof why people don't still make T roofs is a mystery to me.

It did have it's share of problems, The seat rails didn't go back far enough, the back seat was for a midget sitting sideways, The backseat folded but there was no room to haul stuff. HUGE doors parking was a pain you had to park in China or you couldn't get back in. Invisible side windows, almost knocked myself out getting hit by them parking on a hill. Visors also had this reverse catch that if you missed the catch trying to fold them up proper you would smack yourself silly while driving. Super super super light back end. No weight over the wheels an in 1 inch of snow the wheels would spin hopelessly. It did have a nice second gear start, but if it was icy you would press the accelerator and just couldn't move. I spent an entire light cycle trying to turn left. No cars coming it was just icy and I couldn't get moving more than .1 miles per hour. The car cornered very well in the dry but not on wet or icy roads. The seat belts were a death trap waiting to hang you. Amazing car and even more amazing that it was hit three times by people who said they never saw it. It was bright red and 193 inches long, and they never saw it.

I have fond memories of Pontiacs, but I just can't get excited, atleast not Marauder replacing excited by a new midsized Pontiac. If you want a fast car get a Mustang or a Corvette, if you want a fast sedan get a 2 or 3 year old Jaguar.

MarauderSM
10-28-2007, 01:30 AM
GM is taking a step in the right direction. They are comin out with cars people want. G8, Camaro, Volt, and Corvette SS.

But there are a lot of NEW cars worth taking a look at. And if you want to have your Marauder contend with these cars just remember that 400 is the new 300.

Aren Jay
10-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Yeah I remember when 200 was the thing and that lasted 20 years. Now it seems 300 has lasted 10 years, how long will 400 last?

hot-rauder
10-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Yeah I remember when 200 was the thing and that lasted 20 years. Now it seems 300 has lasted 10 years, how long will 400 last?

it will last awhile. prices of mods are too high to make it go away anytime soon. lol

Aren Jay
10-29-2007, 08:16 PM
I just had to wonder with all the 500bhp and 600bhp factory cars coming out.

My Neighbour has his second 640 bhp Mercielago 640. He had a white one now he has a silver one. Ford has a 600 bhp Mustang. There is a 600 bhp Viper, 595 600 bhp vettes are about. The rice burners will have trouble bringing out a factory 600bhp car but there are lots of modded 600 bhp ricers. BMW Mercedes and Jaguar are all going to be pushing 600 bhp soon.
even Lexus has brought out a 500bhp LS600hL. Hybrid combined to make 500bhp. (although they don't really combine that way.)

I think 400 bhp will hit mainstream for a year or two before being bumped to 500 and then 600bhp.

Only thing I'm waiting for is the orginal designed 2-300 mph freeways.

(sorry for the thread hijack)

hot-rauder
10-30-2007, 04:50 PM
I just had to wonder with all the 500bhp and 600bhp factory cars coming out.

My Neighbour has his second 640 bhp Mercielago 640. He had a white one now he has a silver one. Ford has a 600 bhp Mustang. There is a 600 bhp Viper, 595 600 bhp vettes are about. The rice burners will have trouble bringing out a factory 600bhp car but there are lots of modded 600 bhp ricers. BMW Mercedes and Jaguar are all going to be pushing 600 bhp soon.
even Lexus has brought out a 500bhp LS600hL. Hybrid combined to make 500bhp. (although they don't really combine that way.)

I think 400 bhp will hit mainstream for a year or two before being bumped to 500 and then 600bhp.

Only thing I'm waiting for is the orginal designed 2-300 mph freeways.

(sorry for the thread hijack)

there is only so far you can go.... 400 will be around for awhile. its all in power to weight. my 88 IROC beat my best friends 99 camaro offthe line and a descent way down the road from a rolling 30- 40. i had 185hp from my 305 5.0. hehas 308 from his 5.7 ls1( dyno run, not just factory specs). 400hp is more than enough. the reason they bump up these new cars so far is because they are heavy as hell and have frikin fridges in the(Rolls Royce). they have so many things in them to keep the power to the ground that if they backed off on the power then they could lighten it up too. just my rant