PDA

View Full Version : Wheels Stolen!

Da Dark Jedi
10-26-2007, 06:10 AM
Well I've been a looong time lurker here and few know me by name. It finally happen this morning. I look out the window and my car is on BRICKS! Every freakin wheel is gone. I'm in Chicago so I may need to borrow a set just to move it to my aunts place. It happen between 2am-5am. Thanks

jdando
10-26-2007, 06:42 AM
Bummer. That just is not right.

jeremy

2003_MM_FYRE49
10-26-2007, 06:51 AM
Well I've been a looong time lurker here and few know me by name. It finally happen this morning. I look out the window and my car is on BRICKS! Every freakin wheel is gone. I'm in Chicago so I may need to borrow a set just to move it to my aunts place. It happen between 2am-5am. Thanks

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but being a fellow Chicagoan as you are I can't say that I am surprised. I would call the insurance co. A.S.A.P. They should be able to provide you with a tempoary set of wheels to get you mobile.

ckadiddle
10-26-2007, 06:53 AM
Crap! That sucks!

Blackened300a
10-26-2007, 07:01 AM
You seem pretty calm in your post. I would be out of my mind right now!
Hope you can find another set. Keep checking ebay and craigslist, Sometimes they pop up because they fit on CV,and GM's. They may even be yours!

TCBO1
10-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Man, I am sorry for your loss! At least they left you the car. They weren't even that nice to the bf here in MD. They took his whole truck. Took the wheels, hood, tail lights.. it sucked big time. Didn't even bother to put it up on blocks.

michael ward
10-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Well I've been a looong time lurker here and few know me by name. It finally happen this morning. I look out the window and my car is on BRICKS! Every freakin wheel is gone. I'm in Chicago so I may need to borrow a set just to move it to my aunts place. It happen between 2am-5am. Thankswhere in chicago were you parked northside, southside, or loop area.. because I drive my mm into the city everyday..

magindat
10-26-2007, 08:03 AM
+1 for gorilla all lock lugs...

Sorry to hear. Hope your deductible is low.

jd319
10-26-2007, 08:31 AM

This happened to me 6 months after I bought the car. I went nuts.....No one was able to help me move the car until I got A new set of wheels because obviously the car couldn't be towed. Insurance co couldn't (wouldn't?) help me get the car somewhere. Finally had a flatbed take it to a body shop. They got me brand new wheels and tires, repaired the few scrapes the flatbed made. Insureance did cover the whole thing.

Da Dark Jedi
10-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Mike, I'm on the South-East side 85th & Cottage Grove. I drive the DTR like you, I'm part ot the crew. The reason it "seems" that I'm calm is that now I have to deal with the insurance people this morn. I gave Ray Sr. a call but he's on vacation. I'm waiting for the ins people, but they say 2 business days. I'll have to search the threads to see what people are doing in the after market.

magindat
10-26-2007, 08:49 AM
After market is not a bad idea. Get your insurance to cut you a check directly. It should be somewhere around 600 each for wheels and 150 each for tires. You should come out with at least 2800.

You can get a good aftermarket set for under 2000 if you look. That'll cover your deductible for ya.

PM if ya need a hand.

Zack
10-26-2007, 08:57 AM
The Mustang wheels (which are the same as the MM), can be has for around 300 a piece.

Da Dark Jedi
10-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Hey Zack thanks I'll look into that. Are they 18''x8.5 polish type?

Couple of questions on what the ins company will cover.
1) Will taxes and the price of mounting & balancing be included by the ins co?
2) Will it cover the tires also?

GordonB
10-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Can someone near him get him a set of LOANER Winter wheels/tires just for moving the car? Someone in Chicage must have a set stored in their basement.

I'd lend mine (one of my 2 sets) except I'm 850 miles from him.

Thanks,
GordonB

magindat
10-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Most ins will want a receipt or something of when you bought the tires and give you a pro-rated amount based on life-expectancy vs, how many miles you had on them. Wheels will be covered for mfg replacement. Dunno about mount/balance, guess they'd have to. Argue for it if not. It's a real cost of replacement.

Da Dark Jedi
10-26-2007, 09:27 AM
The tire & wheels are stock issue (came with car), milage wise 2180 on the odometer, which is on the tires.

Aren Jay
10-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Wow almost makes me wonder if you need wheels. Sorry to hear about your loss, could have been worse, the car could have been taken too.

Someone must have a winter set for you to borrow. Or just get a cheap set of 16"'s and move your car. 215 65 16 Front 225 70 16 Rear, no hubcaps and boring wheels and noone will steal them. If you do get your wheels back or new ones you might want to keep them locked up and just use steels until you go to a car show or such.

This reminds me of the vice president at my College, His Merc was parked outside his house, on campus, and he woke up to find it on blocks. Thing is, he never ever took the keys out of it. His car open keys in ignition sitting on blocks.

Bluerauder
10-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Man that really sucks. :mad: Hope this works out for you. Would also be nice if the bastiges were caught and you could horsewhip them. :cowboy:

MENINBLK
10-26-2007, 10:18 AM
If you buy Aftermarket wheels,
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
Check the LOAD RATING of the wheels.
If you don't you'll know why when you hit your first bump.

The Marauder is over 2 TONS.
You need a STRONG WHEEL to support your Marauder.
STRONG wheels ARE NOT CHEAP !!!

RCSignals
10-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Hope you can find another set. Keep checking ebay and craigslist, Sometimes they pop up because they fit on CV,and GM's. They may even be yours!

they also fit 2005 and later Mustangs. they are listed this year as an order option for the '08 V6 Mustang and listed as an accessory wheel option for any '05 and later Mustang. so ther is a much broader audience out there now for these.

MarauderSM
10-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Happened to a Caddy round my way.

KillJoy
10-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Wheel locks FTW!!!

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

Bradley G
10-26-2007, 03:52 PM
PM sent 4321

knine
10-26-2007, 03:58 PM
I have a spare "winter" set you can use, pm me.

FastMerc
10-26-2007, 04:04 PM
What a bummer that stinks.Keep an eye on ebay man may show up or a car in the area that the wheels dont belong on.When I go to get mine chromed I will be puting identifying marks that are visible but not readily noticable on each wheel.But I would also like to get those Gorilla lock thingies if I knew where to get them?

cyclopsram
10-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Go to the taxi or cruiser junkyard and get the 16 inch commercial wheels and tires at about 40 bux each..did they get your spare?

djbruce26
10-26-2007, 04:18 PM
What a bummer that stinks.Keep an eye on ebay man may show up or a car in the area that the wheels dont belong on.When I go to get mine chromed I will be puting identifying marks that are visible but not readily noticable on each wheel.But I would also like to get those Gorilla lock thingies if I knew where to get them?

www.summitracing.com

Gorilla Wheel Locks...
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td width="9">
</td> <td class="orderline" align="left" valign="top" width="93">GOR-71683N</td></tr></tbody></table> Lug Nuts, Conical Seat, 1/2 in. x 20 RH, Closed End, Locking, Chrome Plated Steel, Set of 20

There are other sets out there too.. but these are what I use. And it's less than $10 for a spare key. Order it...

FastMerc
10-26-2007, 04:25 PM
www.summitracing.com (http://www.summitracing.com)

Gorilla Wheel Locks...
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=9>

</TD> <TD class=orderline vAlign=top align=left width=93>GOR-71683N</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Lug Nuts, Conical Seat, 1/2 in. x 20 RH, Closed End, Locking, Chrome Plated Steel, Set of 20

There are other sets out there too.. but these are what I use. And it's less than $10 for a spare key. Order it... Thanks man I will have to give them a call.

Illss
10-26-2007, 07:28 PM
U can use my fullsize spare . Sorry about ur loss

rvaldez1
10-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Mike, I'm on the South-East side 85th & Cottage Grove. I drive the DTR like you, I'm part ot the crew. The reason it "seems" that I'm calm is that now I have to deal with the insurance people this morn. I gave Ray Sr. a call but he's on vacation. I'm waiting for the ins people, but they say 2 business days. I'll have to search the threads to see what people are doing in the after market.

Wow, the property values are shooting up over there. So you are a couple blocks from avalon park. You are pretty close to englewood, I am surprised that they did not take the car!! Sorry to hear about the wheels, make sure you get a police report.

DOOM
10-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Did you have any type of wheel locks at all?:eek:

DOOM
10-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Did you have any type of wheel locks?

KLinardo
10-28-2007, 09:38 AM
thats not right
that is horrible especially with the nation wide rear tire back order

my_rodder
10-28-2007, 03:06 PM
I am in Iowa and checked craigs list and some of the local swap sheets. Nothing! I dont know if thats good or bad. Good luck man! keep us updated.

Da Dark Jedi
10-28-2007, 07:58 PM
rvaldez1, yes I'm west of Avalon Pk, played a lot of ball there in my younger days. The property value is shooting up everywhere in this city and yes even Englewood. Mine and the wife Great Grandparents are from Englewood. I never had this problem before, the LEO's only take reports like this via phone now and I filed @ 7am. Family thats with CPD say I've gotten soft with age and wisdom, and how wild my family is their right. With the killing going on with the kids I'm thinking the Burbs now. I knew about the wheel locks, but got careless (thought I could protect every thing). The INS guy will be here in the morning. Now I have to haggle over the price to replace.

rvaldez1
10-28-2007, 08:37 PM
rvaldez1, yes I'm west of Avalon Pk, played a lot of ball there in my younger days. The property value is shooting up everywhere in this city and yes even Englewood. Mine and the wife Great Grandparents are from Englewood. I never had this problem before, the LEO's only take reports like this via phone now and I filed @ 7am. Family thats with CPD say I've gotten soft with age and wisdom, and how wild my family is their right. With the killing going on with the kids I'm thinking the Burbs now. I knew about the wheel locks, but got careless (thought I could protect every thing). The INS guy will be here in the morning. Now I have to haggle over the price to replace.

I wish you luck. Dont think of it as soft, think of it as smart. I used to hear stories of how crazy some of the people I look up to were, the thing I hear so often from them is that the game has changed, people are getting reckless. I have hung out at avalon a few times, played football near englewood, its rough.

If someone could give you a link to the price of the wheels on the ford website you can get a premium for the rims. Tires are pretty standard.

sailsmen
10-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Beware there are some Chicom cast knock offs for a low price.

Marauder_Santa
10-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Sorry for the loss. :( I can feel your pain. :mad:

Prompted me to get the Gorilla locks mentioned earlier in this thread. I have the factory locks, but have been putting off buying the Gorilla's.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
10-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Yes, do NOT buy aftermarket MM-knockoff wheels. They are cast, not forged like OEM.

dreydin
10-29-2007, 01:52 PM
egh, thats horrible news =(

Aren Jay
10-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Another thing you can do is put a special code on them, Imprint a special code. A number sequence or something on the weels, back side or such. Make it big and noticable. This will keep someone from selling them especially if you can get word out that they are gone and have a recognizable identifying marks on them you stand a better chance of getting them back.

We all learn a lesson here, two lessons.

1. Secure or mark your rims and wheels.
2. Keep a spare set in your garage.

For haggling purposes get three quotes for Stock OEM replacement from three ford dealerships.

rvaldez1
10-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Another thing you can do is put a special code on them, Imprint a special code. A number sequence or something on the weels, back side or such. Make it big and noticable. This will keep someone from selling them especially if you can get word out that they are gone and have a recognizable identifying marks on them you stand a better chance of getting them back.

We all learn a lesson here, two lessons.

1. Secure or mark your rims and wheels.
2. Keep a spare set in your garage.

For haggling purposes get three quotes for Stock OEM replacement from three ford dealerships.

I am sorry, not to make fun of you, but I find this hilarious. Here in the chicagoland are there are well over 3 million people. With the internet today that audience grows to, hell who knows. I highly doubt that an etching in the back of the wheels reading "please return my wheels" will do any good.

rookie1
04-11-2008, 08:18 AM
xxxxxxxxxx

04-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Maybe Diabolical can lend this guy his special gold wheels with DON'T STEAL ME written on them

LOL

mtenderenda
04-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Wheel locks are a neccessity for our cars....Everytime i stop at a light, thats the first thing people look at...the <<<RIMS>>>:cool4:

04-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Wheel locks won't stop anyone with the $19 wheel lock buster tool

MM2004
04-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Wheel locks won't stop anyone with the $19 wheel lock buster tool

What tool is that?

I am happy to have the Gorilla Locking System on my MM.

Maybe not theft proof, but a lot more secure than the other brands.

Mike.

04-11-2008, 08:41 AM
It's a wheel lock removal tool -- all auto parts stores sell it. It is a socket with barbs on the inside. You hammer it over a wheel lock and then use a socket to remove the lock. They sell it in case you accidentally "lose" your locking key...

If someone is really determined to get the wheels off, even if they fail, they are probably going to damage them in the process.

Bluerauder
04-11-2008, 12:53 PM
It finally happen this morning. I look out the window and my car is on BRICKS! Every freakin wheel is gone.

Bummer. :( Hope they catch the dirtbags and you get your wheels back in good shape.

Aren Jay
04-19-2008, 09:11 PM
If someone tries to steal my winter rims, they are in for a shock. without a skinny lug key, you can't get the torque wrench in the lug nut hole, to get at the lug nuts.

Not that my cheap winter wheels are worth stealing.

Da Dark Jedi
04-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Well I have new wheels (like Killjoy & Zack), they've been sitting in the basement now for about 6wks now. I put a coat of wax on 'em, they look real nice. The weather is now warm so I'll throw them on for the Chi-Town Kruise on 5/31. People did catch one of the guys, I regret putting the word out like I did (it was not worth the price). So now I'll be switching wheels when I'm not driving it. I've seen the wheel lock removal device. The best I can do is not have them on for long periods of time. We have a new police chief in Chicago, and their #1 priority is stopping the killing here. My cousin who works gangs crime unit says "their main concern is the killings here, so keep insurance because there's little concern about auto theft, unless it's a big price item". My brother in Florida said "they're coming on dealer lots with sandbags, removing valve stems and letting the cars rest on them, the alarm never sounds and the wheels are gone. Four wks ago a man was shot (dead) in the head they wanted his car that bad. I know if they want it bad enough they'll get it one way or another. Summer is here so things will probably be worst. Right now there is a "No Snitch rule in effect", if you do it's "RIP SNITCH", it's on tee-shirts across the city, the youths are wearing this crap with pride. They're getting their revenge.

04-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Wow that sounds like quite the area

Da Dark Jedi
04-21-2008, 02:41 PM
These "Wankster's" has changed the crime scene here. Now the OG's say it's the KKK (Kids Killin' Kids), and going to the county jail is like visiting friends because they're in there now. It's not the "area", this is going on all over the city now.

fastblackmerc
04-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Wow that sounds like quite the area

Sounds like a good time to move!