PDA

View Full Version : Has this phrase lost excitement?

Motorhead350
10-28-2007, 09:57 PM
"Brand New Car." To me there really isn't anything new that strikes a good chord with me. When I would hear that phrase in older music (I think the song was called "The Boy from New York City from 1964) it actually meant class and style. Now it's all about as cheap as they can make them and they all look like potatos.... unless you really wanna spend some big bucks. Has this phrase turned into something boring for you too or have you always felt the same way though the years? Wither it's thinking that a new car is cool, lame or just something thats actually dependable... errr I mean something that actually has a warranty?

RCSignals
10-28-2007, 10:05 PM
New cars are actually better made than ever. They have much better warranties too.

Motorhead350
10-28-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm talking about the looks and style of modern compared to what is now considered classic. What is your view of a "Brand New Car?"

RCSignals
10-28-2007, 10:23 PM
As for any point in automotive history, love for a "Brand new car" is all in the eyes of the beholder

Motorhead350
10-28-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm asking your point of view.

3rdcoastmrauder
10-29-2007, 12:24 AM
new cars all look like carbon copies of something else. It's lame. If cars are better made now then they were then my dads 2 newer purchases should outlive his 95 f 150 w/ 257,xxx miles on the original timing chain (doubtful because every vehicle i see now a days has timing belts which stretch out over time). Everything is made of plastic including front ends. **** crumple zones I want a ton of steel in front of me. Something tells me my grill guard can pop your 7+ air bags. My dad picked u p a new v-6 ford ranger for better gas mileage(estimated 21 city 26 highway) I normally would baby a new vehicle but the damn thing only pisses me off w/ it's gas guzzling and poor shifts. My Marauder gets better gas mileage than that hoopdie. best I've gotten so far is 20 mpg. Same driving in the Rauder i got 21 mpg. I see why automakers are in trouble. Cause their building pure unadulterated heaping piles of *****.

end rant

03blackvegas
10-29-2007, 07:11 AM
The evolution of design on cars has made them quite similar and boring. The hey day for styling was late 50's to mide 60's, in my humble opinion.

merc6
10-29-2007, 07:26 AM
I liked the legacy back when it was brand new but ended up getting the mm cause thats what i could afford. When I think new car I see a big chunk of resale falling off once you leave the lot. Reason I always go 2 yr used.

Motorhead350
10-29-2007, 07:36 AM
The evolution of design on cars has made them quite similar and boring. The hey day for styling was late 50's to mide 60's, in my humble opinion.

That's pretty much my opinion too, but I have a few exceptions like The Marauder.

RF Overlord
10-29-2007, 07:52 AM
they all look like potatos

ROFLMAO...Dom, I never realised until you said that...you're absolutely right!

dreydin
10-29-2007, 02:50 PM
lol potatoes!

RCSignals
10-29-2007, 04:07 PM
That's pretty much my opinion too, but I have a few exceptions like The Marauder.

There are exceptions. There have always been exceptions and that is why you don't see some of the older cars, or at least very few of them.
when I say old cars (and trucks) I don't mean your dad's '95 ford)

You don't see many old Studebakers, Kaisers, Willys, you don't see many Oldsmobiles and others older than the '50s. People don't generally want them, for collectors or rods. They're just yesterday's 'potatoes'

Not that many years ago it was unheard of to get more than 100,000 miles reliably in a vehicle. Now there are vehicles with 250,000 and they're still doing fine.

FordNut
10-29-2007, 04:21 PM
The only exciting NEW car I've seen lately is the Challenger.

larryo340
10-29-2007, 08:31 PM
:agree: +1 on that
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/5/0/2/6/MOPARSatCarlisle043.jpg

Motorhead350
10-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Good luck trying to mod that car, but it does look great.

RCSignals
10-30-2007, 01:23 PM

Seems the only exciting NEW cars are the retro styled ones.

I like the Challenger, just hope they do the headlights a little different.

I like the new generation Mustang too.

Aren Jay
10-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Thing about New cars is that they are made so well now that used car, which used to be a bad phrase, and meant piece of crap. Used is now a good phrase because cars are made better now and you don't need to pick up a new car to get a good car.

Leases also killed the brand new car idea, people don't own cars they borrow them for a year or two. Then they sell them to us smart people and we buy a used car, for half the price 3 years old.

Who buys new, anymore?

Motorhead350
10-31-2007, 08:44 AM
Who buys new, anymore?

My dad still does and sees used cars as other peoples problems, but he has has bought used too. If used, then usually only a year old or so with really low miles. Both my cars were bought new and because I know the full history and took care of them I have confidence in them. It's taking them to other people that I hate and usually it's a last resort because I lack the proper tools. (ok I wasn't working on my truck at 6 because I wasn't allowed to)

RCSignals
10-31-2007, 09:31 PM
..............(ok I wasn't working on my truck at 6 because I wasn't allowed to)

But, did you drive it? :D

Motorhead350
10-31-2007, 10:23 PM
I was driving it at 10 or so and got to petals and all around 12. I've been driving since I was 9 though... in my uncles junkyard back in the day. ;)

Bigdogjim
11-01-2007, 05:21 AM
Cars in my days were boxes:)

Styles come and go, car today are made better, rust protection is way better, everything has a computer:)

A/C is in the base price now, 60's & 70's it was an option or not offered.

Things change ever though we want them to say the same.