PDA

View Full Version : Stats on a 92 5.0 Mustang

RedMerc04
10-29-2007, 09:47 PM
A buddy of mine just got a 92 5.0. I just was interested in what this car will do, its basically bone stock with a cold air intake and flowmasters. He has a 5 speed, and the car is a GT convertible. It seems pretty quick, alot of low end torque, Im pretty sure I can have my way with him but I just want to be sure. :banana2:I think it is a bit deceptive because the car is alot rougher around the edges in comparison to my 'rauder so it probably feels quicker than it actually is.

teamrope
10-29-2007, 09:53 PM
You might take him as is if it 1/4 mile. If not throw a race tune for 100 octane and said fuel in the mix and you will take him for sure.

RedMerc04
10-29-2007, 11:55 PM
After a bit of research It seems as if it should run in the neighborhood of 15 seconds. Im sure that im a bit quicker than that.. but Ive gotta say that the low end of the 302 in that light body is pretty nice though...

larryo340
10-30-2007, 04:46 AM
At the track most mild 5.0 Mustangs seem to run out of steam at the 1,000 ft mark. Off the line not bad if they can minimize wheel spin.:burnout:

RedMerc04
10-30-2007, 05:24 PM
I tried looking up stuff on the 5.0 Forums and I cant figure out what gear he has in the rear end. Alot of stuff pointed to a 2.73 but i think that its lower because assuming that 4th is a 1:1 he was revving at about 2K at 40 or so mph which is where my car revs with o/d off at that speed. I have bigger tires but 4.10 gears so I really dont think that 2.73s could be possible. Maybe 3.27?

offroadkarter
10-30-2007, 05:33 PM
I tried looking up stuff on the 5.0 Forums and I cant figure out what gear he has in the rear end. Alot of stuff pointed to a 2.73 but i think that its lower because assuming that 4th is a 1:1 he was revving at about 2K at 40 or so mph which is where my car revs with o/d off at that speed. I have bigger tires but 4.10 gears so I really dont think that 2.73s could be possible. Maybe 3.27?

My brother has a modded 5.0 in his explorer, wanna go from there? think of it as an AWD lifted mustang :D

You'd have no trouble against a stock fox body, but the ones with the cam swaps or so, i wouldnt pick a fight with.

Raudermaster
10-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Dude, 5.0's aren't anything really to gloat about. You will have him for sure with your mods. Since it's a GT, it might have a 3.07 RAR.

PhastPhil
10-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Raudermaster was close, the stock geraing is 3.08. Now the GT Convertible is heavier than the fixed roof cars. I have a 1989 LX 5.0 hatchback with the 5 speed. The only modes I have are a Ford Motosrsport offroad pipe. Which eliminates the cats, A K&N air filter in the stock box, but I took out the silencer. And I bumped the timing up a few degrees. With a set of Sticky Mickeys on the back, my best ET was a 14.5 at Englishtown. By the way, I bought it new, and it still has only 15,000 miles on it ! And it is not a race car.

RedMerc04
10-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I dont see him going crazy modding it either, maybe just a few bolt ons. After driving my car and paying attention to my acceleration rates I am quicker for sure. Im sure we'll have a good drag or two in the near future. Its pretty amazing what a lightly modded marauder can do considering its size and everything it give ya!

RedMerc04
10-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Raudermaster was close, the stock geraing is 3.08. Now the GT Convertible is heavier than the fixed roof cars. I have a 1989 LX 5.0 hatchback with the 5 speed. The only modes I have are a Ford Motosrsport offroad pipe. Which eliminates the cats, A K&N air filter in the stock box, but I took out the silencer. And I bumped the timing up a few degrees. With a set of Sticky Mickeys on the back, my best ET was a 14.5 at Englishtown. By the way, I bought it new, and it still has only 15,000 miles on it ! And it is not a race car.
Cool, my buddies car has 150,000 but its still strong, dosent burn oil or anything... So i guess he is probably in the 15ish range. Does anybody recomend when he should throw the gears, to keep him in the powerband? When I rode in the car he didnt take it above 4500rpm; which might be why it felt quick to me. I think that with the stock cam the power probably falls off north of there...

Aren Jay
10-31-2007, 01:04 AM
1. Bone stock is just that. Flowmasters and a CAI is not bone stock.
2. The Mustang will beat you to 1/8 of a mile if you are stock, as it is you are not stock so it is a toss up. For the 1.4 mile you should handly win. For it's time the 5L was a great engine, but it isn't that time anymore.

Raudermaster
10-31-2007, 10:10 AM
If I were to get into a Foxbody, I would look for an LX as they have the same drivetrain as the GT's, except don't have the GT body kits = more weight.

Raudermaster
10-31-2007, 10:12 AM
1. Bone stock is just that. Flowmasters and a CAI is not bone stock.
2. The Mustang will beat you to 1/8 of a mile if you are stock, as it is you are not stock so it is a toss up. For the 1.4 mile you should handly win. For it's time the 5L was a great engine, but it isn't that time anymore.

Flowmaster's generally came on Foxbody's stock. My aunt bought a brand new '90 coupe GT from a dealer and I still have some Polaroid pictures of it and right there on the mufflers say Flowmaster. I'm not sure I would even consider muffler's that big of a mod. A guy up the street from me has a '92 Hatchback 5.0 5 spd and everything on the car is stock except for a FRPP x pipe and it has Flow's on it, and he is the original owner, too.

offroadkarter
10-31-2007, 06:32 PM
The good thing about the 5.0's though is that they respond very well to mod's. Its not hard to get a fox body with stickies and a built N/A motor into the 12's or maybe 11's considering the fact that they are also pretty small cars.

PhastPhil
10-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Flowmaster's generally came on Foxbody's stock. My aunt bought a brand new '90 coupe GT from a dealer and I still have some Polaroid pictures of it and right there on the mufflers say Flowmaster. I'm not sure I would even consider muffler's that big of a mod. A guy up the street from me has a '92 Hatchback 5.0 5 spd and everything on the car is stock except for a FRPP x pipe and it has Flow's on it, and he is the original owner, too.

None of the Fox Stangs came with Flowmasters on them from Ford. Flowmasters are one the most common mods to these cars. Those who bought a car new that had Flowmaster mufflers on it...the dealer must have installed them ahead of time. Flowmasters on a 5.0 have a very distinctive sound. ( my friend's horse whinnys every time he hears one because he thinks she is comming home and will give him treats !) Stock 5.0s have thier own unique sound from the factory.

Aren Jay
10-31-2007, 11:22 PM
As for stats on the cars, check Edmunds and cars.com

Raudermaster
11-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Well, I can tell you my aunt's had Flow's on it and it had 16 miles on it when she bought it. So who knows, but even the guy up the street has Flow's on it which were there when he bought the car new. At two different Ford dealers too, so who knows...

mrjones
11-01-2007, 10:18 AM
I got a little info on this. I've got an 03 MM and an 89 LX convertible with the 5speed. The Mustang has 3.73 gears in it, but no other mods. My MM was stock except for a JLT when we took them both to the track in March. They were very evenly matched in the 1/4. The Mustang would jump out ahead off the line, but it didn't take long for the MM to catch up and begin pulling ahead. Both were running in the 15.1 range in very low 90's.

Since then, I've put the tune and 4.10's on the MM, and it wouldn't be close anymore.

The Mustang could've come with 2.73's or 3.08's from the factory. An auto/5.0/2.73 is even more of a dog off the line than a stock 03 MM.

RedMerc04
11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
I got a little info on this. I've got an 03 MM and an 89 LX convertible with the 5speed. The Mustang has 3.73 gears in it, but no other mods. My MM was stock except for a JLT when we took them both to the track in March. They were very evenly matched in the 1/4. The Mustang would jump out ahead off the line, but it didn't take long for the MM to catch up and begin pulling ahead. Both were running in the 15.1 range in very low 90's.

Since then, I've put the tune and 4.10's on the MM, and it wouldn't be close anymore.

The Mustang could've come with 2.73's or 3.08's from the factory. An auto/5.0/2.73 is even more of a dog off the line than a stock 03 MM.
We'll get a race in order at somepoint. He just needs to learn how to drive the thing a little better. If we were to race right now he would just spin the tires like crazy off the line. The stock shifter could be a little better too.. it doesnt seem too great.

Breadfan
11-01-2007, 12:37 PM
The fastest stock 5.0's were actually the speed density cars in 87/88. The MAF cars and other changes made through '93 actually LOWERED hp in very miniscule amounts, to the point HP ratings were lowered in the last few years of the foxes.

That being said, the MAF cars are much easier to mod, so better in the long run.

Stock 5.0's have been known to run in the 12's with no mods. Just taking stuff out of the car to save weight, have the right gearing and a 5spd and hook up and there's a few timeslips showing 12.9 times on otherwise stock 5.0 Mustangs.

Yeah, rare, but possible!

You are right though, Marauders respond VERY well to mods! Just a few basic mods like gears, tune, and intake will shave nearly a second off the 1/4 mile times!

Mustang 5.0's are also cars that respond extremely well to mods!

I would say your modded Marauder would probably outrun a GT Convertible that was stock and hadn't gone on a weigh diet.

FYI my old 1990 Mustang has 205,000 miles on it and has the original drivetrain (5.0 5spd) and runs like a champ! Clutch is still the original too, but gonna be repalced soon as it's getting a bit weak - still not bad for 205k. :)

High-C
11-01-2007, 02:10 PM
FYI my old 1990 Mustang has 205,000 miles on it and has the original drivetrain (5.0 5spd) and runs like a champ! Clutch is still the original too, but gonna be repalced soon as it's getting a bit weak - still not bad for 205k. :)

My 85's got you beat by 2000 miles... :cool:
My clutch is GONE (too much abuse) and it is far from the first one. Unfortunately I broke my ankle a few weeks ago and can't drive it right now but the Northern VA Mustang Club is meeting at the Dulles Expo Center and rolling to the Burger King to close out the season on Sunday... I'm back in MV now so PM me if you want to roll the MM's or your 90 out there. We may have some good weather... - C

Never underestimate an 85 GT with a 3" exhaust a few mods and a Holley double-pumper...
:burn:

MADRODER
11-01-2007, 03:43 PM
my 90 LX notch runs a 14 flat...mods incl. 3.73's, CAI and Flowmasters,

times are with street tires and 150,000 miles on the stock motor

Raudermaster
11-01-2007, 07:48 PM
I want a *****ing notch so bad. I can't afford the one up the street from me. It's perfect too.

MADRODER
11-02-2007, 04:10 AM
I want a *****ing notch so bad. I can't afford the one up the street from me. It's perfect too.

There's lot's of notch's out there, they'll be around for awhile

You're 20 yrs old and you have a Marauder, not many guy's in your age category can say that, hang in there you'll own a notch sooner or later...trust me :D

Breadfan
11-02-2007, 07:51 AM
My 85's got you beat by 2000 miles... :cool:
My clutch is GONE (too much abuse) and it is far from the first one. Unfortunately I broke my ankle a few weeks ago and can't drive it right now but the Northern VA Mustang Club is meeting at the Dulles Expo Center and rolling to the Burger King to close out the season on Sunday... I'm back in MV now so PM me if you want to roll the MM's or your 90 out there. We may have some good weather... - C

Never underestimate an 85 GT with a 3" exhaust a few mods and a Holley double-pumper...
:burn:

I'm gonna try to make that, I will probably have the Marauder. They're meeting Saturday, 3pm and will cruise to BK in Manassas from there.

High-C
11-02-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm gonna try to make that, I will probably have the Marauder. They're meeting Saturday, 3pm and will cruise to BK in Manassas from there.

My bad... I meant Saturday... Unfortunately I've gotta work tomorrow... I'll PM you if I'm gonna go. Maybe we can drive out there together. -C