PDA

View Full Version : Laid off....

magindat
10-31-2007, 05:23 AM
As is SOP, these days... Big fish eats little fish.

The small community bank I work at (doing IT, communications and electronic security) has been purchased by a 440 billion dollar monster. As such, my position has been 'centralized' to 3 states away!!!

So, I've been laid off. I have until April 30 to find something else. The severance was a joke. Basically 2 weeks pay.

Fortunately local management seems to be on our side. They are head-hunting in the community for all affected employees. They are also allowing time and use of resources to job search.

All-in-all not that bad, I guess. Still a pain in the arse to have to move on again.

If any one of you knows of something or somebody looking for good help, throw me a bone, huh?

Zack
10-31-2007, 05:26 AM
Best of luck Rich.
Why dont you open a Stereo Shop.
Im sure Martyo will help with the startup costs!

magindat
10-31-2007, 05:31 AM
You know, the thought has crossed my mind....

Scott Beer is down here hunting for a place to open a performance shop... hmmm!!!

Hotrauder
10-31-2007, 05:58 AM
Rich, Sorry to hear this. Good luck, you have the knowledge, skills and character to be a great asset to any comapny. See you soon. Hi to Leslie and Jamie. Dennis

fastblackmerc
10-31-2007, 06:03 AM
Sorry to hear about it Rich. You have a PM.

jdando
10-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Ack, sorry to hear this Rich. Just remember it is easier to get a job, when you have a job. Don't wait to February to start looking.

jeremy

LordVader
10-31-2007, 06:26 AM
Sorry to hear about this, but your skill set should help you find something pretty quick. Its a b**** being redundant, but when they have these mergers the little guys alway lose.

Cobra25
10-31-2007, 06:32 AM
Sorry to hear that happened to you Rich. I'm sure that you will find something better that you will like. Best wishes.

mtenderenda
10-31-2007, 06:47 AM
I was let go three months ago, from Bank of New York, because of a Merger with Mellon. So i understand what you are going thru, hang in there. It took me a month to find something, but it's not for me. Today I am going on my second interview with a company. I'll see what happens, I still need to get check mate to get this position. So you are not by yourself.:beer:

FordNut
10-31-2007, 06:50 AM
Sorry to hear the news. You'll find something, probably better than what you had.

martyo
10-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Im sure Martyo will help with the startup costs!

Stop spending my money! :D

And GOOD LUCK RICH!!

Bluerauder
10-31-2007, 08:40 AM
The small community bank I work at (doing IT, communications and electronic security) has been purchased by a 440 billion dollar monster. As such, my position has been 'centralized' to 3 states away!!!

So, I've been laid off. I have until April 30 to find something else. The severance was a joke. Basically 2 weeks pay.
Sorry to hear this, Rich !! :( Best of luck in finding a new position.

Lots of IT and communications positions and opportunities in the Northern Virginia area. Fairfax, VA is billed as the Internet Capital of the World. The downside is that those jobs are located in Northern Virginia. :o Pay is very good; but prices are high, housing is expensive, and traffic is well .... intolerable.

ckadiddle
10-31-2007, 08:57 AM
Rich, sorry to hear it. :( How tied to the area you live in now are you?

arejayesss
10-31-2007, 09:16 AM
That truly is a shame. They do not realize what they are losing!
So sorry to hear that.

He has his own private racetrack where he lives, unless it's not long enough now with the blower:D

RoyLPita
10-31-2007, 09:21 AM
Keep us posted on this situation. We are here for you.

magindat
10-31-2007, 09:25 AM

I'm fairly rooted here. Between family and kids, relocation is really not feasible, although a certain amount of commuting may be in the stars.. for the right cash, of course!!!

magindat
10-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Ack, sorry to hear this Rich. Just remember it is easier to get a job, when you have a job. Don't wait to February to start looking.

jeremy

You're right, Jeremy. Which is why I have already begun!

Raudermaster
10-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Sorry to hear Rich! You're a very talented and nice guy and I'm sure you will be fine with your endeavors.

ckadiddle
10-31-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm fairly rooted here. Between family and kids, relocation is really not feasible, although a certain amount of commuting may be in the stars.. for the right cash, of course!!!
I will keep my ears open for stuff in your area, but most of the folks I know are in the Orlandoish area.

ctrlraven
10-31-2007, 12:01 PM
That sucks man, maybe Reinhart would be interested in expanding his business to start including car stereo stuff and you could be the lead guy.

jgc61sr2002
10-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Sorry to hear that.:( Good luck on your job search.:D

JMan
11-01-2007, 03:48 AM
Rich,
Someone of your mental acumen and extraordinary personality should view this as a chance to expand his horizons. This will in time be looked upon as a blessing!

Best wishes!

J

Pat
11-01-2007, 04:50 AM
Rich;

When you do land a job locally, if it isn't all you hoped for, then, be aware that a large number of IT jobs is expected to open up here in NW Louisiana in a few months. These are Government and Contractor high pay positions in support of the new Air Force Cyber Command. Over the next five years it is projected that 5000+ new jobs will be added.

Our city is heavily committed to getting this Command and we are in the top echelon in the competition. Regardless of where the Command is located the jobs will be there. Some of the other Locales are Northern California, Virginia, Nebraska, Colorado and NW Louisiana. Keep your antenna tuned to "Cyber Command".

Regards,

magindat
11-01-2007, 04:53 AM
Rich,
Someone of your mental acumen and extraordinary personality should view this as a chance to expand his horizons. This will in time be looked upon as a blessing!

Best wishes!

J

You sure you got the right guy?!

Thanx, Jake. I'd actually love to somehow segue into something that mixes cars with computers. Perhaps IT at a dealership or manager of a repair shop or some such thing. If you would, keep your eyes and ears out for me in your travels.

Thanx
Rich

JMan
11-01-2007, 05:05 AM
You sure you got the right guy?!

Thanx, Jake. I'd actually love to somehow segue into something that mixes cars with computers. Perhaps IT at a dealership or manager of a repair shop or some such thing. If you would, keep your eyes and ears out for me in your travels.

Thanx
Rich

What area? Or easiest is call me!

J

Bigdogjim
11-01-2007, 05:06 AM
Use your time well on your job hunt, keep good notes.

Best of luck!

magindat
11-01-2007, 05:16 AM
You going this weekend?

magindat
11-01-2007, 05:17 AM
Melbourne to Stuart on the east coast. Maybe as far west as Okeechobee.

fastcar
11-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Sorry about the news...

You're a Marauder... You'll bounce right back, man! ;)

fastcar:burnout:

rumble
11-01-2007, 12:18 PM
I agree with these other fellas. With the creativity and expertise you have
shown on this (and other) board(s) you're a natural to be on your own.

Come up with a business plan to either sub out to a shop or start your own.

Man, let me tell you, their are a whole lot of folks out their making a living
in this business that make you look like a genius.

I know, I deal with most of them every day.

Good luck what ever happens. :beer: