PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: Engine Trouble...NEED HELP!!!!

MercOut
11-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Hey,

This post is pretty much me venting about the problem and to get help. It might be pretty long.

This is an update from my last post about an engine knock. Just found out about 45 mins ago from Butch that there's something wrong with my 7th or 8th piston. It's offical that its making some sort of knocking noise and its MAJOR:eek:. I spoke with Zack(previous owner) and Butch and they estimate the cost to be between a couple of hundred to a few THOUSAND!!! :bigcry:which i don't have, Im a college student.

Background of previous events:

I bought the car from Zack about 5 weeks ago and drove it about 750 miles back to NC, nothing went wrong with the trip. About a 3 days later i push the car hard to about 137mph and again everything seemed fine. That weekend me and my friends went to Hampton, Va for their homecoming, still everything seems good. About 2 weeks ago i begin to hear a slight sound from the engine, maybe the pulleys need to be changed or the oil is thinning out, nothing big....and now this, maybe something broken. To me it sounds like i didn't do anything bad for this to happen. I am not at all blaming this on Zack selling me a bad car.

My options are to:
1. Get it repaired & labor(don't have the money)
2. Get a new engine + labor(don't have the money)
3. Get a used engine + labor(don't have the money)
4. Last Resort(Zack knows what it is)

Any more options i missed, let me know.

So can anybody help me out on this, I don't have a lot of money to work with and i was advised not to drive long distances because the engine might sieze. Im in the Greensboro, NC area and i was planning on going home the 21st for Thanksgiving but looks like thats out of the question. So if anybody has any connects of any shops that are willing to help or whatever. ALL AND ANY HELP IS NEEDED!!!!!

FordNut
11-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Bummer. Any solution is gonna take money. And if you sell it as is it costs you too.

Which car is it? Supercharged or N/A?

I do know where there is a good stock motor with 16k on it, I could get it for you at about $2500. I saw it run, it's a good motor.

MercOut
11-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Its N/A...$2500 isn't but still too expensive for me...whats an estimate on labor costs?

sailsmen
11-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Take out a loan on the car or sell it and buy something you can afford.

94_302
11-06-2007, 07:49 PM
What University do you go to? You mentioned visiting in VA and I know VT, UVA, and JMU have student car clubs. Sometimes you find some knowledgeable people who could help you, as far as you provide the parts and say beer and pizza and you all make a weekend long party of fixing the car.

Was this car previously blown?

Raudermaster
11-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Was this the car Zack had a Vortech on that was on eBay or a different one? Ask Zack, he's a good guy and should be able to help you out.

fastcar
11-06-2007, 08:24 PM
What University do you go to? You mentioned visiting in VA and I know VT, UVA, and JMU have student car clubs. Sometimes you find some knowledgeable people who could help you, as far as you provide the parts and say beer and pizza and you all make a weekend long party of fixing the car.

Nice idea!

Also, did you pay cash, or do you have a loan on it? If you have a loan, the bank, I would expect, would want you to keep it in good condition. Perhaps they will give you a 'second' for it???

fastcar:burnout:

MercOut
11-06-2007, 09:22 PM

I go to NC A&T in greensboro.
Yea, the car was blown before

Nice idea!

Also, did you pay cash, or do you have a loan on it? If you have a loan, the bank, I would expect, would want you to keep it in good condition. Perhaps they will give you a 'second' for it???

fastcar:burnout:

I took out a loan but there's no lien. The title is mine....I really don't want to take out a second loan because i also have student loan but if thats the last resort then i MIGHT:shake:

MercOut
11-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Take out a loan on the car or sell it and buy something you can afford.

I can afford the car but I just bought it so i haven't had a chance to get my money back up....I was thinking of selling it and getting another MM but i will lose money either way

Zack
11-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Im sorry for your troubles Malcolm.
It is always my intent to sell a car, part or whatever in the best possible condition or at least represent it accurately. I cut no corners with this car, I can assure you that.
As for the engine in your car being supercharged, it was for a round trip to Ohio in my other car. It was treated VERY nice the whole way and the one time I did get on it, I shredded a belt. It was then driven home and pulled from the car where it sat on a stand for a few months until I put it in your car.
But you know all this cause I told you in negotiations.

Ill buy the car back, and I know a backup member here who will buy it as well. The price may not be favorable to you, but it is a solid offer.

Best of luck, and I do have boxes of internal engine parts you can have if you decide to fix it.

Speed
11-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Zack,
I like your style, down to earth and honest. Thats hard to come by nowadays. I look forward to doing business with you in the near future, like one of those badgeless grille. MdRider88 I hope everyithing works out for you.

MercOut
11-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Should i take it to the Mercury dealership? They said it would take about 10 hrs to do a diagnostic and $900. What should i do, I don't want just anybody working on it?

Zack
11-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Should i take it to the Mercury dealership? They said it would take about 10 hrs to do a diagnostic and $900. What should i do, I don't want just anybody working on it?

Find a nice sharp Knife so you can pay them with your arm or leg.
Save the $900, it needs an engine.

Blackmobile
11-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Find a nice sharp Knife so you can pay them with your arm or leg.
Save the $900, it needs an engine.

Aren't there some totalled MMs parked around the country with good internals?

CRUZTAKER
11-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Mine took me be surprise as well.
One just never knows how long something will last.
Mine was strong as ever and died at 36k.
Others have 190k on them. :dunno:

Good luck with the repairs.
Don't give it up. ;)

freakstatus
11-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Is it a bent piston rod? Happened on my Explorer when I drove fast through a deep puddle (roads were flooded). I ended up getting a rebuilt engine put in.

Master
11-09-2007, 05:47 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Keep in mind I have a complete bottom end (short block) for sale and I could have it delivered to the eastern states. Then you just need a good friend to help you install it. Talk to Zack - he might help you out in this regard. PM me if you are interested.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Zack
11-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Here ya go Malcolm...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-Mercury-Marauder-Engine-entire-runs-perfect-4-6_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ3 3615QQihZ019QQitemZ29017862827 1QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Cant beat that deal with a stick.

FormulaMarauder
11-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Wow, I almost bought this car.

Zack
11-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Wow, I almost bought this car.

Thats news to me :confused:

Blackmobile
11-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Here ya go Malcolm...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-Mercury-Marauder-Engine-entire-runs-perfect-4-6_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ3 3615QQihZ019QQitemZ29017862827 1QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Cant beat that deal with a stick.

I want one of those for under my Xmass tree. Santa, I've been good!