PDA

View Full Version : Roman Coins.

Aren Jay
11-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Anyone know anything about Roman Coins?

I was digging through a box and found a pair of roman Augustus coins that my Dad picked up in the desert in Libya.

I think they are real, given where they were found, but it is really hard to figure out what they are.

I don't want to clean them, everyone says don't.

I can't find a matching one on the internet, having gone through 38 pages of Augustus coin images.

I realize they are about 2000 years old, and other than the idea that this is a coin of Augustus, which is pretty cool, I don't think I want to sell them but would like to know if they are worth anything.

TooManyFords
11-11-2007, 12:00 AM
I'll give you $20 buck a piece if they are gold...

There, a starting place.

:D

Marauderjack
11-11-2007, 04:14 AM
$20.50...... :beer:

MERCMAN
11-11-2007, 05:07 AM
Make sure the date on them DOESN'T say BC :up: :lol:

TooManyFords
11-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Make sure the date on them DOESN'T say BC :up: :lol:

Well of course they will say BC on them... They're OLD!

D U H ! ! !

:D

CRUZTAKER
11-11-2007, 07:03 AM
.... I don't think I want to sell them but would like to know if they are worth anything.

Someone has a blower in their future....:thinker:

Mike Poore
11-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Keep searching, on line, or try contacting one of the groups that knows about such things; a museum, perhaps. Boy, the stories those coins could tell. Lucky you, what a great find. :)

sailsmen
11-11-2007, 07:24 AM
If you want to eliminate the coin value by all means clean them.

A man found boxes of coins in an old trunk. Being a hands on guy w/ a work shop he used his tools to polish them up before bringing them to the coin shop.

They were in mint boxes and after the cleaning they were only worth what the value of the metal was. But they sure did shine!

Vortex
11-11-2007, 08:32 AM
I remember going to Jeresh in Jordan about twenty years ago and the biggest scam going was little kids faking like they just found a "roman coin" and selling them to the tourists. Enterprising little fakers.

ParkRanger
11-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Anyone know anything about Roman Coins?

Yeah, they're only good in Italy.