PDA

View Full Version : My Yellow Lab

davidholland
11-11-2007, 02:47 PM
I had to put down my best friend Sat. He was 15 years 10 months Old.

Truly a long life for a Labrador. I would gladly give up my MM for free if it

could bring him back in his prime. His Name was Hercules and he was a

fighter right to the end. If anyone ever wants one hell of a dog get a Lab.

He was one in a million and will be sorely missed.

jgc61sr2002
11-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Very sorry to hear about Hercules.

davidholland
11-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks. He was the best! He took to my kids like they were his. He was 9 years old when my son was born and 13 when #2 came along. Some people would tell you an old dog might not like all the comotion,of kids at such an old age, Herc lived for it,he guarded those kids like his life depended on it.
Never let anyone tell you female dogs are superior to males!

When time goes by and the wounds have healed I will get another Labrador and it will be a male.I just feel like I need to share how great he really was,I guess it helps the greiving process. Thanks for reading.

Zack
11-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I dont like stories like this :-(
Celebrate the good memories

CBT
11-11-2007, 03:49 PM
Sorry to hear that. You must have been one hell of a good owner for a doggie to live that long.

MACFORD88
11-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Sorry To Hear Of Youer Lost.

martyo
11-11-2007, 04:20 PM
David:

I went through this this summer and it was very painful. My sympathies and compassion are with you and your family.

I recently took in a rescue lab and he is doing great. He helps to replace the hole left in my heart by the loss of my pup this summer.

davidholland
11-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the kind words, it helps alot

Bigdogjim
11-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Your correct it was very hard to say goodbye.

They are in a better place now, www.RainbowBridge.com (http://www.RainbowBridge.com)

Sorry for your loss.

Big Dog Jim

knine
11-11-2007, 08:00 PM
I have found that the best medicine is to get another dog asap. Honor the memory by giving a dog a home that needs one. It was the best thing when I lost my scoozie "Arson". I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved family member.

Aren Jay
11-11-2007, 09:50 PM
You could clone him.

http://www.viagen.com/en/our-services/preserving-your-pets/

RoyLPita
11-12-2007, 05:50 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. Please keep us posted with any updates.

davidholland
11-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys. This has been a horrible ordeal for me and my family!

Taemian
11-12-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm so very sorry to hear about Herc. We had a 13 year old Rough Collie (Lassie dog) that had to be put down as well. It hurts for awhile, but you WILL get to a point where the good memories overcome the hurt. Also, a year after that we fostered a dog for the SPCA for 4 months and it was amazing. He is with a great family now, and knowing that you have helped a dog and another family is very rewarding.

If you love Labs so much, you could be a guide dog foster home! We are going to do that. We will get our own family dog to keep, and you get a pup to train/socialize over 18 months. Everything is paid for, the dog wears a "In Training" vest and goes EVERYWHERE with you, and it's really basic stuff like sit/stay/heel. I know this sounds over the top right now as you are still grieving, but keep it in the back of your mind.
In the meantime, just know that Herc is still watching out for you and your kids, just in a different way, and in a different place. Blessings and condolences to you and your family.

captJ696
11-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Sorry for your loss, I have a chocolate labrador named Rocky;5 years old. I hope he is around too for as long as your beloved best friend was.

ckadiddle
11-12-2007, 02:33 PM
So sorry to hear it. Most dogs are better people than most people.

LordVader
11-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Sorry for your loss. Been through that twice and it is rough, but as was stated we always get a replacement. Makes the loss a little easier.

GAMike
11-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi Dave~ I just want to echo what everyone here has said........ My wife and I do rescue down here is GA and have quite a heard o dogs that have what we like to call "The Life". it sounds like Hercules had it as well:bows:

With so many unwanted dogs and cats going to the pound and eventually being euthanised down here its refreshing to hear a dog story of long life in a loving family. One of ours is a Black Lab that we took in when my father inlaw passed away 2 years ago. He had him since you could hold him in the palm of your hands. Its sounds to me like Hercules and our Lil Bit would have got along like old friends. They are truly Mans Best Friend......

When you are ready, let me know if I can help find you another Lab. the best way to honor a great dog like Hercules is to give a pound pup, a chance at the great life that he had.

Best regards,