PDA

View Full Version : One Laptop per Child - "Give One Get One"

BruteForce
11-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Taken from email announcement.

=========================
From all of us at One Laptop per Child, thank you for your interest in our mission. Today marks the first day of our limited-time "Give One Get One" program. Starting today, when you donate an XO laptop to a child in the developing world, you'll receive one for the child in your life. The price for the two laptops will be $399, $200 of which is tax-deductible. Additionally, T-Mobile is offering donors one year of complimentary access to T-Mobile HotSpot locations throughout the United States, which can be used from any Wi-Fi-capable device, including the XO laptop.

Please visit www.laptopgiving.org (http://www.laptopgiving.org/en/index.php)to participate in Give One Get One and discover more about the revolutionary XO laptop. You can also donate by calling toll-free 1-877-70-LAPTOP (1-877-705-2786). This is the only time we're making the XO laptop available to the public and quantities are limited, so early purchasers have a better chance of receiving their XO laptops by the holidays.

Once again, thank you. We sincerely hope you'll join our growing community of people working to create a connected, educated, enlightened future for the world's most essential resource -
it's children.

This is a great cause. I got a pair for my neice and nephew.

Bluerauder
11-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Taken from email announcement.

Starting today, when you donate an XO laptop to a child in the developing world, you'll receive one for the child in your life. The price for the two laptops will be $399, $200 of which is tax-deductible.

This is a great cause. I got a pair for my neice and nephew.

This might be a great program. However, I am skeptical. They can't eat laptops. Seems that the need for food, safe & clean drinking water, and a decent place to live should be the main priorities.

BruteForce
11-12-2007, 04:18 PM
This might be a great program. However, I am skeptical. They can't eat laptops. Seems that the need for food, safe & clean drinking water, and a decent place to live should be the main priorities.

I agree. And I donate to world hunger causes too. But what about those who have safe water and food? Do they have to wait for everyone else to catch up before they can be introduced to modern tools? Or is that only for the rich post-industrial countries? Think of it as the present day equivalent of the telephone at the beginning of the 20th century.

You've got to remember that for this new generation, computer (more specifically the internet) skills will be at the core of their ability to compete for decent jobs. Lacking those skills will lock them out of many opportunities to break out of poverty.

I will admit I am biased. One of my Master Degree course study interests (wrote and lectured about this stuff too) was about generational trends with the internet and how it relates and affects "haves and have nots".

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime"