PDA

View Full Version : possible tranny problem? not sure

ImpalaSlayer
11-12-2007, 03:47 PM
well when im babying it maybe 1/4 throttle or less it goes from first to secon then to thrid. no prob. but when acel. in third at the same throttle it starts to like jerk and make weird noises intermintly up untill 40mph or so and then it seems find. the noise and sound is some what like when you drive over the rumble strip thing on the high way. anybody else have this prob? common thing?

wchain
11-12-2007, 09:59 PM
How about some other details, Miles, maintenance history, etc?

OD off light blinking? Do you have a tune? Does turning off OD do anything for the problem?

Bradley G
11-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I would have the transmission serviced, fluid changed, This sometimes will
rectify the symptoms you describe .

well when im babying it maybe 1/4 throttle or less it goes from first to secon then to thrid. no prob. but when acel. in third at the same throttle it starts to like jerk and make weird noises intermintly up untill 40mph or so and then it seems find. the noise and sound is some what like when you drive over the rumble strip thing on the high way. anybody else have this prob? common thing?

Marauderjack
11-13-2007, 03:53 AM
Sounds like TC shudder.....

PM me and I'll tell you about a fix that takes only a few minutes.......Flame Suit is in the cleaners and I'm SURE to get :flamer: if I post in public!!:rolleyes:

Marauderjack:burnout:

JMan
11-13-2007, 04:20 AM
Sounds like TC shudder.....

PM me and I'll tell you about a fix that takes only a few minutes.......Flame Suit is in the cleaners and I'm SURE to get :flamer: if I post in public!!:rolleyes:

Aw come on, fill us in!

J

Marauderjack
11-13-2007, 05:00 AM
Aw come on, fill us in!

J

Ford "Snake Oil" fix that works EVERY time for trans shudder!!:beer:

I had several CV's that would shake the dash with shudder and was told by a Ford Master Tech that his dealership uses this fix and has NEVER had a return for shudder!!!:beer:

Are you ready..............one 4 ounce bottle of Ford Friction Modifier....That's it.......shudder gone in 10 miles or less!!!;)

Only down side....this stuff really stinks....so don't spill any under the hood!!:shake: Worse than running over a SKUNK for a week or two!!!:rolleyes:

BTW.....I use it in my MM as a preventive measure and in 155K miles have never had a hint of shudder......give it a try....won't hurt a thing!!!:banana:

Going to pick up flame suit now!!:cool:

PS: Ask Jeremy "jdando" about it!!:D

Local Boy
11-13-2007, 09:33 AM
+1 for T/C shudder...

Just change the fluid...after all that's where the friction material is..

ALOHA

JACook
11-13-2007, 10:48 AM
No flames from this direction. Makes perfect sense. But.

A fresh load of Mercon V has loads of friction modifier in it already. I'd do that first,
and save the stink oil for if the fresh fluid doesn't do the trick...

ImpalaSlayer
11-13-2007, 10:52 AM
How about some other details, Miles, maintenance history, etc?

OD off light blinking? Do you have a tune? Does turning off OD do anything for the problem?

40k matainence unknow bought the car in august. no blinking light. have not tried the od off yet will try today though. as far as a tune goes i have no clue.

vkirkend
11-13-2007, 11:01 AM
I would suggest a pan drop and flush. And maybe a replacement of the pan with one with a drain plug. If you find the "lollipop", you'll know that the pan has never been off and you can look at what's inside the pan to get some idea of what you might be looking at.

ImpalaSlayer
11-13-2007, 11:06 AM
lolipop???

RR|Suki
11-13-2007, 11:08 AM
lolipop???

there will be a little plastic guy in the trans pan that looks a loli. It gets poked in on the assembly lin

ImpalaSlayer
11-13-2007, 11:10 AM
there will be a little plastic guy in the trans pan that looks a loli. It gets poked in on the assembly lin
does it stay in or do i take it out

RR|Suki
11-13-2007, 11:19 AM
does it stay in or do i take it out

it's irrelevant, if it's still in there chances are the tranny never got serviced.

RF Overlord
11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
A fresh load of Mercon V has loads of friction modifier in it already.^^^what JACook said^^^

Although adding a bottle of Ford Friction Modifier might solve the immediate problem, it's not ideal as a long-term solution. ATF, just like motor oil, has an additive pack that gets depleted, even under "normal" use. Adding the FM may rejuvenate that part of it, there are other parts to the additive pack such as corrision inhibitors and anti-foaming agents that will remain depleted and can cause other issues down the road.

The best solution is to either perform regular drain-and-fills at intervals appropriate for the use the vehicle gets, or a full fluid exchange at 30,000-mile intervals.

Local Boy
11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Throw it away...They are just letting you know, that if you find a yellow plunger looking thingy...that means your trans pan was NEVER dropped...telling you that the maintainance on your car's trans. is behind schedule.

BTW: the yellow thingy is what they put in the dip stick hole during assembly...Again...throw it away...or make a fishing floater out of it...HEHEHE

ALOHA