PDA

View Full Version : Transmission failed in 8,800 miles

John F. Russo
07-28-2003, 02:45 PM
Transmission failed in 8,800 miles

I have a new Marauder (delivered in early February 2003) and had Kenny Brown's standard off-the-shelf 450 hp conversion.

After 8,800 miles and only four runs at a dragstrip and day to day driving back and forth to work. the transmission failed. Ford will not warranty it nor will they warranty it after the dealer rebuilds it.

I found Performance Automatic of Maryland (www.performanceautomatic.com) that offers three grades of upgrades depending upon the horsepower that one has- 450 hp, 650 hp and 800 hp. Each are warranted for 90 days. It isn't much but better than what Mercury has, but most importntantly, I think, I'll have a much tougher transmission.

Any suggestions about the better alternatives to Performance Automatic? Are they one of the best?

What about the interaction of the transmission with the performance chip. FordChip.com is the company that did the original work on my car through Kenny Brown. Are they competent to help me?

:help: :(

RF Overlord
07-28-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by John F. Russo

FordChip.com is the company that did the original work on my car through Kenny Brown. Are they competent to help me?

John: You're in luck...Jerry from FordChip is the best tuner in the country...try contacting Dennis Reinhart (www.reinhartautomotive.com) for info on one of his bullet-proof transmissions, also built by Jerry...

cutt
07-28-2003, 04:17 PM
they are one of the best.my friend has 2 of them (C4) in mustangs.one is a 10 sec. car the other is a 11 sec car.the tranc are 5 years old with plenty of abuse.i cant vouch for the trans in the MM.but if its the same quality they are good.looks like they would give a better warrany.i heard they offer a lifetime warrant on the C4s and powerglides now and they know you are racing.another good thing about them is that they attend many NMRA races through out the counrty building and repairing trannys on the spot at the track.cant get any bettre than that for customer service!

modular46
07-28-2003, 06:03 PM
Kenny Brown doesn't warranty it?

jgc61sr2002
07-28-2003, 06:48 PM
John - Sorry to hear about your trans. I know a transmission guy in W Roxbury, Mass. Will PM you. :(

gonzo50
07-31-2003, 11:10 AM
I have a new Marauder (delivered in early February 2003) and had Kenny Brown's standard off-the-shelf 450 hp conversion.
Is this not the Marauder S that you have ? I would think that Kenny Brown should be able to help you, don't they come with some kind of warranty for such a Beast. :confused:

SergntMac
07-31-2003, 11:15 AM
Could you tell us what failed?

LincMercLover
07-31-2003, 12:11 PM
The transmission...? Did you not read the topic subject...?
:lol:

MAD-3R
07-31-2003, 12:14 PM
I think mac is looking for something a LITTLE bit more specific. Kids...

SergntMac
08-05-2003, 06:38 AM
I have a new Marauder (delivered in early February 2003) and had Kenny Brown's standard off-the-shelf 450 hp conversion. After 8,800 miles and only four runs at a dragstrip and day to day driving back and forth to work. the transmission failed.

John, please tell us WHAT failed in the transmission, what are the symptoms?

merc
08-05-2003, 06:45 AM
Sarge, We have to talk about transmission upgrades.

SergntMac
08-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by merc
Sarge, We have to talk about transmission upgrades.

Ummm...Perhaps we need to discuss tranny problems and preventive upgrades, however, since this thread is the FIRST report of any tranny "hardware" problems, I'm going to lay back on this. I would like to know more about this failure and I've asked here, and in e-mails, for a description of that.

I have nothing to work with, or, report on. I'm getting a virtual "cold shoulder" here donchano. So have others, so, let's not jump to conclusions on the cause of the failure, or, any "weakness" in the MM tranny. I'd be real disappointed to read that, but I'll be the first to shout out any warning when due, you best believe it.

WolfeBros
08-05-2003, 08:55 PM
Do the Kenny Brown folks know anything about this tranny failure? I know you boys are anxious to get some 411.

martyo
08-05-2003, 09:05 PM
John: I clued you in on the oil pressure gage. Return the favor in kind and tell us about the tranny. Please keep in mind that we are "instant gratification" folks here.

mtnh
08-06-2003, 06:23 AM
If it's the same car that I saw on the lift at Wall's, then it was just that the S/C engine was too strong for the tranny, according to the service advisors. Draw your own conclusions. They said that they (at Wall's) had seen plenty of police interceptor CVs eat transmissions with only 200 HP, so yes, a 400 HP monster engine can certainly go through a MM transmission. Just how, remains to be seen, since we've gotten great reporting from Bill and Mac's KBMMS000001 and thus far, it had taken the abuse I mean use that the dragon was laying out. Aside from that, wasn't it also confirmed that the MM had a beefier transmission than its stable-mates the GM and CV?

Mike

John F. Russo
08-07-2003, 06:27 AM
Transmission Failed in 8,800Miles- Update

I am considering three options:

1. Rebuild with OEM Mercury parts with no warranty
2. Rebuild with a Performance Automatic $500 rebuild kit with no
warranty
3. Buy a Permance Automatic "Comp" tramsmission designed to
handle 650 hp with a 6 month warranty. (My eventual
goal is to upgrade to a 600 hp.)

Data:
I have a Kenny Brown (KB) converted MM that I have used for four months. I floor it about four times a week. The autopsy showed that I had about 5 clutches that had heat tracings indicating excessive friction and the interior of a band that looked like that the transmission had been driven about 70k miles according to the tech. There was no evidence of any factory defective parts that I was hoping for. A Ford regional rep would not do anything for me- even for the rebuild.)

Decision
I decided to go with #2 because I could not find anyone who has used a "Comp" on a MM. I am concerned about the firmness of the shifting. I already have a firm shift from 3rd to 4th gear and I didn't want another one. Of course, to a race guy, he wouldn't even have a second thought. But I have a wife who says, "You spent $50k for that feeling?" "Yes, dear", I say. But she does like the speed. So I can't lose any more points with her.

The rebuild will be installed in the next day or two but I still can react to any new idea that others have. Help!

John F. Russo
08-07-2003, 06:30 AM

Sorry I forgot to add my new tag line.
Stock transmission (upgraded with Performance Automatic
clutches and band after stock Trans failed in 8800 miles
CD changer (6 disc)
McGard wheel locks
Mileage: 18 mpg at a steady speed of 80 mph
Kenny Brown: 7th conversion (450 hp) 3/28/03
Dead pedal
Baer brakes 14 in 2 piston
MM Driveshaft
4.10 rear end
Vortech supercharger
Pirelli P-Zero tires
FordChip performance chip
One coil of each front stock spring removed to produce
the “same” effect as an Eibach spring

mtnh
08-07-2003, 07:43 AM
John,

is your car being serviced at Wall's, or is there another Blue KB MM that is broken with a failed transmission (and they are shooting me a line about the 800 HP capable transmission that the owner is having installed)??

Mike

johnjamis
08-20-2003, 04:53 AM
John, where did you get your Baer brakes and for how much? I am looking for a front brake upgrade. Thanks, John