PDA

View Full Version : 30 minutes worth of work...

CBT
11-13-2007, 05:08 PM
....at the ol' Civil War camp. It was nice out today, stopped off at the ultra hidden top secret spot that no one knows about, even though thousands of cars go by each day, some folks even wave to me. A jogger asked me one day "Whatcha lookin' for?" She was cuuuuuute so I said "Treasure." She said "Didja find any?" I looked her up and down while she jogged in place and said "Yep. I believe I have." She giggled and waved and jogged away. Anyway, back to today. Check out the old bottle, the base of it goes up into the bottle at least 3 inches, I think it's called the pontil. It is unwashed in the picture, I'll do that later tonight, I'm letting the excitement build. In the second pic you can see a modern quarter I put there for size references. This was a bad day of looking, normally I find twice as much stuff. Since folks scoped out the picture of the glass screw/bolt, I figured I'd show what I found today.

Bluerauder
11-13-2007, 05:24 PM
A jogger asked me one day "Whatcha lookin' for?" She was cuuuuuute so I said "Treasure." She said "Didja find any?" I looked her up and down while she jogged in place and said "Yep. I believe I have." She giggled and waved and jogged away.
What .... no pics of the "treasure"? ;)

Since folks scoped out the picture of the glass screw/bolt, I figured I'd show what I found today.

My guess on the bottle is that it is a champagne bottle. The pic ^^^^ shows a pretty deep, big indentation on the bottom. That is known as the "Kick" in the bottle and is usually a dead giveaway on champagne or other effervescent beverages. Regular wine or other spirits don't need a big Kick to equallize inner pressures. So, that's my guess.

shawn.criswell
11-13-2007, 05:27 PM
The ultra hidden top secret spot, eh? 1,000's of cars a day. You know, you may have to check out a couple of spots in that area, kinda back off from GW's HQ for instance, should be some interesting artifacts around there.

CBT
11-13-2007, 05:58 PM
The great thing about this area is how freaking old it is. Half the stuff I find is probably colonial era. OR PIRATE STUFF!! ARRRRGH, BOOTY!!:duel:

CBT
11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Cleaned it, look at the size of that inverted nipple kick thingy.

CRUZTAKER
11-13-2007, 06:53 PM
That's very cool...and wierd...

Because I too found a treasure myself while exploring yesterday.
Mine is not as old as yours though.
It from the Spanish-American war.

Maybe it's find old cival war ere-vember. :P

Bluerauder
11-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Cleaned it, look at the size of that inverted nipple kick thingy.
Looky Here >>>>>> http://www.sha.org/bottle/wine.htm

Scroll down to match your bottle. I think it is in the Bordeaux shape group. Measure the height --- 9.2" or 11.7".

"This shape originated in Europe by at least the early to mid 19th century and likely came to the U.S. shortly thereafter."

CBT
11-13-2007, 08:52 PM
That's very cool...and wierd...

Because I too found a treasure myself while exploring yesterday.
Mine is not as old as yours though.
It from the Spanish-American war.

Maybe it's find old cival war ere-vember. :P

Cool, do you have photo?

CBT
11-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Looky Here >>>>>> http://www.sha.org/bottle/wine.htm

Scroll down to match your bottle. I think it is in the Bordeaux shape group. Measure the height --- 9.2" or 11.7".

"This shape originated in Europe by at least the early to mid 19th century and likely came to the U.S. shortly thereafter."

Aaaaagh! Another site i'll be spending hours of my life on!

CRUZTAKER
11-14-2007, 06:00 AM
Cool, do you have photo?

I did not want to divert attention from your finds. :P

Here is a pic, not mine, mine is bit more worn from sitting for so many years where I found it .
I will be taking some pics this weekend. Gonna sell it on ebay.
Daddy needs a new timing cover.;)

It's a 1901 Krag Bayonet and Scabbard (Spanish American War).<VG, p was it think I wear. shows but intact, is handle Wood intact. completely lightly, rust to starting and dry scabbard grease, heavy in covered blade with found knicks, some used!<>

<VG p a was it wear. but intact, is rust starting and grease, in blade with some rough. bit pitting, no there bit, up cleaned WD-40 moisture. sitting from end the towards of layer thin has fully although however, Scabbard The well, as good looks rosewood Handle nicks. few only good, packed Bayonet condition. <>http://i18.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/c2/b0/e55a_1.JPG

CBT
11-14-2007, 07:11 AM
Whoa, cool! You found that out in the open? I'm surprised it isn't rusty.

ckadiddle
11-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Dang youse guys find some neat stuff.

High-C
11-14-2007, 08:34 AM
That was a bottle off $3.95 Cold Duck Champagne I threw out of my car window one night at about 110-mph on the way to some chic's house. If you send it back to me I'll slide you the 10 cent deposit.:cool:

CBT
11-14-2007, 08:49 AM
That was a bottle off $3.95 Cold Duck Champagne I threw out of my car window one night at about 110-mph on the way to some chic's house. If you send it back to me I'll slide you the 10 cent deposit.:cool:

No thanks, Star and I are very happy. Oh, you mean the bottle?!

dreydin
11-14-2007, 02:18 PM
I did not want to divert attention from your finds. :P

Here is a pic, not mine, mine is bit more worn from sitting for so many years where I found it .
I will be taking some pics this weekend. Gonna sell it on ebay.
Daddy needs a new timing cover.;)

It's a 1901 Krag Bayonet and Scabbard (Spanish American War).<vg, p="" was="" it="" think="" i="" wear.="" shows="" but="" intact,="" is="" handle="" wood="" intact.="" completely="" lightly,="" rust="" to="" starting="" and="" dry="" scabbard="" grease,="" heavy="" in="" covered="" blade="" with="" found="" knicks,="" some="" used!=""><>

<vg p="" a="" was="" it="" wear.="" but="" intact,="" is="" rust="" starting="" and="" grease,="" in="" blade="" with="" some="" rough.="" bit="" pitting,="" no="" there="" bit,="" up="" cleaned="" wd-40="" moisture.="" sitting="" from="" end="" towards="" of="" layer="" thin="" has="" fully="" although="" however,="" scabbard="" the="" well,="" as="" good="" looks="" rosewood="" handle="" nicks.="" few="" only="" good,="" packed="" bayonet="" condition.=""><>http://i18.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/c2/b0/e55a_1.JPG
what the? where do you guys find these things?! =O i want an artifact stabby weapon!!! :depress:

</vg></vg,>

CRUZTAKER
11-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Whoa, cool! You found that out in the open? I'm surprised it isn't rusty.

It was buried within a pile of wet wood in the rafters.

The bayonet was packed in heavy grease, the scabbard however took the brunt of the moisture issue and has a surface coating of light rust, no pitting. The rosewood handle is still very nice, but worn. The blade has two knicks.

Overall not too shabby for 107 years and possible combat duty.