PDA

View Full Version : Car Wash Blues

mungce
07-28-2003, 03:57 PM
ran my MM through a car wash and now have weird scuff marks on the rubber that surrounds the windows and the monocromed center. Any ideas on how to get it back in shape ?

Jim Williams
Ft. Worth, Tx

jrzygrl
07-28-2003, 04:14 PM
UndleLar mentioned to me yesterday when I asked about getting hard water spots off of the blk rubber, to use good tire brightener. Says it works better than Armoral..was gonna' give it a try. Just an idea?

LincMercLover
07-28-2003, 05:10 PM
Very true! It also removed wax build-up you may aquire around the mirrors and liscense plate bracket (for those who have 'em).

martyo
07-28-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by LincMercLover
Very true! It also removed wax build-up you may aquire around the mirrors and liscense plate bracket (for those who have 'em).

And the keyless entry too. I just went down to the garage to try it out. Thanks gang!!

Marauder57
07-28-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by martyo
And the keyless entry too. I just went down to the garage to try it out. Thanks gang!!

Man that is great news....every day I look at my Keyless entry and say dang that thing is white and faded I need to figure something out....now I know......

And Knowing is half the battle....... ;)

martyo
07-28-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Marauder57
....every day I look at my Keyless entry and say dang that thing is white and faded I need to figure something out....now I know......

Not faded. Covered with wax.

Dr Caleb
07-28-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by martyo
Not faded. Covered with wax.

Some quik detailer also helps with that. But tire black works better - it's just not good to get on the paint...

martyo
07-28-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Dr Caleb
Some quik detailer also helps with that. But tire black works better - it's just not good to get on the paint...

I used the pre-treated wipes with tire brightener (Armorall brand). They are easy to control and keeps the rpoduct off of the paint.

sailsmen
07-28-2003, 06:32 PM
Careful what type of ruuber-vynl treatments you use, most actually cause damage.

2 that don't are Lexol Vynlex and 303.

martyo
07-28-2003, 06:34 PM
303 is a great line of products, with excellent UV protection. I use those products in the marine environment.

mungce
07-29-2003, 04:36 AM
I have found that ArmorAll will do more damage in the long run to rubber than other products. Guess I will try some tire shine. As we all know Black is a beautiful color for a car, but it's hell keeping it clean and when waxing will streak, if not proberly applied. Thanks for the suggestions !

Jim Williams
Ft. Worth, Tx

troopcar
07-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Would it be OK to use Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss?

mungce
07-29-2003, 02:37 PM
I used tire black and it worked !! Gotta be carefull around the windows and paint, but it now looks pretty decient. I won't be gong to that car wash anymore.............. thanx for all your replies

Jim Williams
Ft. Worth, Tx

SheboyganGuy
07-29-2003, 02:42 PM
I believe the label on the Zaino tire gloss says it is good for rubber trim...

SouLRioT
07-29-2003, 06:10 PM
I dont know about you guys but i used a toothbrush to clean my keyless entry. Soap and water and elbow grease.

SergntMac
07-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Vinegar.

Retired tooth brush.

Soft cotton cloths, like old tee shirts bleached clean and rinsed thoroughly, with the hems cut off too. Pinking shears work nicely, no loose threads.

Done.

What did I miss?

Chemicals make our cars beautiful. But, we eventually come to need more and stronger chemicals to remove, or, counter act the chemicals we've already applied. Stop the upgrade/expensive madness, let nature work for you.

What did I miss...

Bigdogjim
07-29-2003, 09:51 PM
Find a good detailer and watch them in action!

RCSignals
07-29-2003, 11:31 PM
Vinegar

oh oh ;)

bchapman
07-30-2003, 03:40 AM
A dry, soft toothbrush does well to clean out wax from all those hard-to-reach areas, like around edges, after waxing, too.