PDA

View Full Version : Saleen 281

sailsmen
11-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Sunday morn I hear a kncock at the door, it's a friend I haven't seen in 11 months.

He says look what I got. I see a new 281 Saleen convert, grey and 6 spd.

I think his first peice of American Iron. He has owned a BMW 1600, 3.0 and several 540. Mercedes 560SL and 600SC and Porsche 911E. HE helped me put a long block in a 1965 VW Van in Sewanee, Tenn. I helped him swap a short block in a 3.0 BMW.

2 months ago on my way to the track I called him and he told me he rented a new Mustang GT and really liked it.

He looked at a Marauder but the guy wanted $40K, yep $40K.

He hands me the keys, the top is down and the sky all blue. There is a winding road next to a bayou around the corner. I drive down it and he says under 4K or the warranty will be voided.

She has crisp acceleration and taught handling but way too much oversteer. I tell him he can correct it. excellent brakes, linear feed back. No cowl shake.

We pull in the drive and I pop the hood, Eaton under the intake, nicely packaged. Huge front roll bar.

The fit and finish is excellent.

His wife is out of the country and he bought it yesterday. I was very impressed with the car.

There was a Mustang show at the dealer I thought about going but tried to go to the air show. They would not let me in with my leatherman after a 45 minute trip from the car to get to security. So we left and drove an hour back home.

Scary part they had no plan for people to leave before the air show ended, took 3 different people and 4 u turns for them to figure a way to let us out. All because it is the last air show and the main gate was reserved for VIP. The general public a back one lane shell road thru the wilderness. Yes one lane so with cars still coming you could not go back out the way you came in. Thank god there was no emergncy to get people out!

ImpalaSlayer
11-17-2007, 03:25 PM
how long does he have to keep it under 4k?

Raudermaster
11-17-2007, 09:53 PM
That's stupid. Saleen has weird rules like that. Kid I go to college with has a Saleen Focus with the N20 package (they all had them anyway) and if you use it or hook it up, bye bye warranty.

ImpalaSlayer
11-17-2007, 09:56 PM
thats dumb whats the point then.

Raudermaster
11-17-2007, 09:57 PM
"Bling" factor and "oh ah."

ImpalaSlayer
11-17-2007, 10:00 PM
rather had a mm anyway ;)

Marauderjack
11-18-2007, 04:24 AM
Uh......How would anyone know it was taken over 4K???:cool:

sailsmen
11-18-2007, 04:46 AM
I thought about that. Does the PCM record peak RPM?

Paul
11-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Probably has one of those black boxes I've read about. Just like an airplane. Read somewhere most new cars have them, and eventually all will.

JMan
11-18-2007, 05:54 AM
The PCM will set a code for over-speed or over-rev. It will set if either is reached for a couple seconds. This is a silent code and does not turn on the Check Engine light.

J