PDA

View Full Version : New computor needed.

Leadfoot281
11-18-2007, 08:12 PM
I've got to get rid of this 8 year old POS. I've got $700 to spend, MAX. I have dial-up and don't download music. I don't game either.

If I buy a new tower, how do I transfer all my pictures and videos to the new one? I don't want to transfer over all the bugs too.

Warning; Any in-depth computor lingo is gonna go right over my head! I solve every problem with control/alt/delete...usually.

Raudermaster
11-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Check out newegg.com or tigerdirect.com, they have great tower deals. As for the pictures and videos, you could simply burn them to a CD/DVD, or unplug your hard drive from your old tower, and connect it to the new tower and have it as a slave drive.

Breadfan
11-18-2007, 08:39 PM
You can get good deals on new PC's from Dell sometimes with coupon codes, if your PC is 8 years old how old is your monitor? Also, how about keyboard and mouse?

If I see any good deals I'll pass them around.

When you get the new PC there are steps to move the files, you can either network the two of them (can get tough if you're not into computer lingo depending on the OS) or get an external harddrive to transfer the files. Based on the OS I could give you a list of directories to move to perserve many of your docs, settings, and favorites.

Raudermaster
11-18-2007, 08:46 PM
I HATE Dell. They are by far the worst computer company in existance. All of my friends/family bring their Dell's to me to fix. C'mon, their XPS Gaming computer is like $6k. I could build a computer for $1200 bucks that would leave the XPS in its tracks.

sailsmen
11-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Or you can go to Best Buy/COMP USA and pay them to do what you want.

Liek anything I have been to Best Buy/COMP stores where the techs are excellent and others where I knew as much as them.

MercOut
11-18-2007, 08:58 PM
If you had a bigger limit then i would say get an Apple but try to get an HP from Best Buy or Circuit City, then usually have good deals with waranty's

offroadkarter
11-18-2007, 09:09 PM
HP is horrible, i always ended up fixing the ones at my school.

I like my dell, i have a 3100 and its perfect for what i need. Ive added a few things along the way though.

you can transfer the files over by either A. putting them on a CD or USB flashdrive, or B. Installing the harddrive into the new computer. A would probably be longer but you wouldnt have the bugs unless you transfered a file that had one attached.

I say go with dell, but yet again vista is horrible. Got any computer nerd friends that could build you a good computer?

PS: Atleast get DSL :)

Dragcity
11-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Leadfoot, don't be a leadhead........

Even us old guys are learning computers.

If you have bugs. make sure you clean 'em out before transferring anything to a new computer. All that stuff wreaks havvok on software and hardware even.

I think you're gonna' have to pony up for a little more $$$$ for a new system. We need lots of RAM today, and top notch video cards for all this internet activity. If you are doing lots of pics, then hard drive space is important too. My rule of thumb is not to tie up more than 60% of your hard drive with files, leaving 40% or greater free space.

Oh, and depending on your usage, defragment the hard drive weekly.....

Aren Jay
11-18-2007, 09:18 PM
I would recomend an HP notebook with a 17" display.

Beware of the toshiba 17" notebooks, they are big notebooks but the keyboard keys are huge. Very hard to type with.

HP makes some great 17" notebooks, 17" is the size of the screen.

you may need a pc card modem, check with best buy or check hp.com

My computer is in need of a reload too. It is just crawling tonight. Seems like everything is going wrong lately. My projector died this morning, I had to take it down and put up my spare. Missed 2 appointments on thursday, 3 on saturday, and my apple stock crashed. It has been one heck of a week.

Transfering files is easy, just load up a new anti virus software package, blast your computer, and then copy the files you need, email addresses exported as a txt file, (file, export, pick text file.) don't copy the programmes just reload them.

In your postition I would pick up something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=K3ZPZGJ WBKG5FKC4D3OVAFQ?skuId=8525759&type=product&id=1186007267427

rvaldez1
11-18-2007, 09:35 PM
I would recomend an HP notebook with a 17" display.

Beware of the toshiba 17" notebooks, they are big notebooks but the keyboard keys are huge. Very hard to type with.

HP makes some great 17" notebooks, 17" is the size of the screen.

you may need a pc card modem, check with best buy or check hp.com

My computer is in need of a reload too. It is just crawling tonight. Seems like everything is going wrong lately. My projector died this morning, I had to take it down and put up my spare. Missed 2 appointments on thursday, 3 on saturday, and my apple stock crashed. It has been one heck of a week.

Transfering files is easy, just load up a new anti virus software package, blast your computer, and then copy the files you need, email addresses exported as a txt file, (file, export, pick text file.) don't copy the programmes just reload them.

In your postition I would pick up something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=K3ZPZGJ WBKG5FKC4D3OVAFQ?skuId=8525759&type=product&id=1186007267427

I would agree, notebooks are the way to go. Make sure you get a quicker wireless internet while you are at it. I like my IBM thinkpad.

FordNut
11-18-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm a die hard PC guy, but my next computer will be a Mac. Not the computers so much as the OS. Microsoft sux and Linux is too much work.

Raudermaster
11-18-2007, 10:11 PM
The only computer I buy now a days, is a notebook, since technically you can't "build" one ground up. I'm happy with my Compcrap, maybe this winter I'll buy a nice top of the line Sager.

Leadfoot281
11-19-2007, 01:07 AM
You can get good deals on new PC's from Dell sometimes with coupon codes, if your PC is 8 years old how old is your monitor? Also, how about keyboard and mouse?

If I see any good deals I'll pass them around.

When you get the new PC there are steps to move the files, you can either network the two of them (can get tough if you're not into computer lingo depending on the OS) or get an external harddrive to transfer the files. Based on the OS I could give you a list of directories to move to perserve many of your docs, settings, and favorites.

My 19" HP monitor is also 8 years old. The keyboard and mouse are cheapie Walmart stuff. I use windows ME. The computor itself is an HP Pavilion 833..whatever that means.

Don't have speakers. Didn't need them so I gave 'em away.

I don't need much of a computor. I just need e-mail, a few message boards, and a place to store my pictures. That's why I don't want to spend any money on this. I'm not gonna buy a Humvee if all I need is a Ranger.

If I put all my pictures on CD's can I put them into a new computor the same way? I don't think I really need to save anything else...or do I? :confused:

How much is a USB flashdrive?

DSL is completely out of the question. They did dig some cable across my cornfeild this summer but that got taken out in the flood. Hughs Net is $100/month. That's a motorcycle payment! The only advantage I can see to having DSL is being able to use e-Bay again.

Thanks for the help!

Breadfan
11-19-2007, 08:44 AM
The only computer I buy now a days, is a notebook, since technically you can't "build" one ground up. I'm happy with my Compcrap, maybe this winter I'll buy a nice top of the line Sager.

I build all my PCs as well. I used to build PC's for friends and family, but stopped. Too many headaches.

Scenario that happened: Built a PC for someone I know for free. Used some older hardware/spare parts I had. I was BIG into the hobby at that time, so my "old" stuff was maybe 6 months old.

Gave it to 'em, worked great when it left my hands. Few months later, get told it's not working right peice of junk it's rebooting all the time and crashing.

I got and investigate and find a cheapo winmodem was installed. Do some more work, find out all the hardware is OK but the Winmodem is faulty and causing restarts.

I pull a spare modem off my shelf, install it, and send it back.

Few months later, I hear the same thing. It's junk and was never fixed right. So, I take the machine. Open it up and find it now has two modems, the one I put in, and the darn faulty crap one I had removed! It was back!

I take a hammer to faulty winmodem, and leave a $5 bill taped to the side of the computer (twice what said winmodem was worth!).

I then do routine maintenance on machine, updates, etc, and give it back.

Few months later all is quiet, I ask how it's going, only to find out computer is sitting on the floor not connected, right where it was dropped off by me. To this day I'm not sure if that computers even being used.

Next time someone asked me to build them a computer: "Dude, you're getting a Dell!"

What I grew tired of hearing was "Hey that PC you built me is doing ... " key words are "That PC you built me" - like it was built wrong! 99.9% of the time it was always a PEBKAC or ID 10 T error. 0.1% it was defective hardware from the manufacturer. (Yeah I ruled!)

Breadfan
11-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Regarding Dell's, or other OEM builders, they can be real good deals. You have to pick carefully and look at specs, and sometimes a good deal looks great until you find out you need to add some add-ons to make it functional.

On that note I have seen in the past plenty of real good deals on Dell's. Full PC's with LCD monitors for under $300, ones that were perfectly functional.

Dell also should let you select WinXP over Vista, not sure I'd bother with Vista yet.

Yes again, I'm a big PC builder, and we used to always give Dell crap saying we could build a better PC for less. For many instances that is VERY TRUE, the XPS systems are horridly overpriced for what you get, it takes advantage of the gamer who doesn't know better.

However, some of the low end Dells with multiple coupon codes are hard to beat. Sure you can build a PC hardware wise for that price but where you lose is the cost of the OS, the Dell would come with WinXP preinstalled, building it and adding WinXP will cost another $90 for a home license.

So, on the low end, it's often hard to beat a good deal on a prebuilt system, unless your a guru/hobbyist who is reusing parts.

Pros and cons for each, as a guru I want to know every bit of hardware I put in, and hand pick it, someone who isn't a guru would'nt know what to pick so let Dell or HP do it.

OK, I'll try to get away from the computer mumbo-jumbo talk and get back on topic. :)

Marauder386
11-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Leadfoot...when you get the replacement computer...you can use the File Settings and Transfer Wizard in Windows to dump it all from your old one to your new one...its an easy walk through and even this older guy had no problems doing it...

:cool:

Dragcity
11-19-2007, 09:47 AM
To answer your question, yes, you can just copy your photos to a CD or jump drive (which I recommend a 4 GB - 'bout $35). Then just copy them to the new hard drive as you wish.

Sometimes you can get what you are looking for at Sam's or Costco. Whole systems with all new stuff for <$500.

I have heard a lot of negative things about Windows Vista. I guess it doesn't play well with other programs (older ones). I think all new computers are comming with it though...

Good luck man. And clear out any viruses, I can't stress that enough. They can attach to your photo files and contaminate your new machine.

Commodore Crap
11-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Mac Mini. you use your exisiting monitor, keyboard and mouse. it fast and awesome. its only $550

The Big Stu
11-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Pebkac? ........

Breadfan
11-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Pebkac? ........

(Problem Exists Betweeen Keyboard And Chair)

Don't tell I told

Breadfan
11-19-2007, 11:45 AM
John, check out this laptop: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bqdwiac&cs=04&dgvcode=ss&c=us&l=en&m_8=80s&dgc=BF&cid=7420&lid=197374

The Vostro's do not come with all the goofy trialware that many OEM's install.

That computer right there in that form would be fully sufficient for what you had described your needs as.

You can hookup your 19" CRT monitor to it, even use a USB keyboard and mouse, yet it's portable if you want to take it somewhere or sit on the couch and browse.

You can use the file transfer wizard, but since your coming from ME I can't recall how well it works on ME.

Been awhile since I've used the 9x/Me software, so I may not get the directories 100%...

When I reinstall a computer for someone, I usually search for files to backup on the following locations:

C:\ - c drive root, some people store files and folders here.

Users "My Documents" folder - many files here

Users "Desktop" folder - many here

Users "Favorites" folder - backs up internet favorites.

For Windows ME I believe these folders are in:

C:\ (for C drive)

C:\My Documents (documents

C:\Windows\Desktop (For desktop)

and this one I'm grey on, C:\Windows\Favorites (For internet favorites.

This is all different in XP, so you'd move the contents into these folders:

C:\ (c drive)

C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\My Documents (My docs)

C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Desktop (desktop items)

C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Favorites

Also if you use an email program such as Outlook, you may want to export your mail to a datafile to reimport onto the new box.

That covers most of where people put things. It may not get everything, the rest can be a case by case sorta deal but I'm betting this will get much if not all of what you have.

You are right you can burn them to a CD or use a USB jump drive.

Leadfoot281
11-19-2007, 11:58 AM
(Problem Exists Betweeen Keyboard And Chair)

Don't tell I told

PEBRAC... That's me! What can I do though? The computors we had in High School are in museums now, and none of my friends have computors. I'm at the mercy of help lines.

I won't make the same mistakes with the new one that I did with this one. Thanks for the help!

Breadfan
11-19-2007, 12:09 PM
That laptop looks like a decent deal if that's what you're looking for, I think Dell has free shipping too. I know you can get WinXP, but couldn't find the button, but I know Dell will do it, you may have to call, or, stick with Vista, which will get better as time goes on.

Breadfan
11-19-2007, 12:15 PM
PEBRAC... That's me! What can I do though? The computors we had in High School are in museums now, and none of my friends have computors. I'm at the mercy of help lines.

I won't make the same mistakes with the new one that I did with this one. Thanks for the help!

You could pick up some old components and practice building one, that's the best way to learn. Get on a good online community too (check out ocforums.com).

We didn't really have much in the way of computers when I was in high school, the ones we did were closely guarded by librarians that had more attitude than Hulk Hogan. My friends knew some about computers, but not the nuts and bolts.

I learned the best way possible, ignored the "Warrenty void if removed" sticker and had fun, hard part was putting it back together but that gets easier as you go along!

Raudermaster
11-19-2007, 12:57 PM
IIRC Vista still sucks, it's going to be a while before they figure all the bugs out. I've already fixed 2 new laptops along with a new desktop. The cure? Load XP on them.

Ken
11-19-2007, 04:10 PM
IIRC Vista still sucks, it's going to be a while before they figure all the bugs out. I've already fixed 2 new laptops along with a new desktop. The cure? Load XP on them.I still haven't figured out what is wrong with Vista? I haven't had a problem. I bought my Toshiba laptop in April to replace a stolen one. 2 GB ram, Vista, 17 in. widescreen, w/numeric keyboard. Everything that I've heard about Vista is etc that you need plenty of ram, 1 GB min. 2 GB is ideal.

Just remember Win98 is no longer supported. So I'm ***** out of luck with my Desktop. Can't even get updates for some Anti-Virus or spyware programs. Girlfriend bought a laptop over the weekend, I attempted to hook-up the wireless G router through a Win98 desktop. Linksys doesn't support Win98, so I had to call a foreign speaking tech help to walk me through installation. And in time Win2000 will no longer be supported, then XP... If I recall, weren't all the previous OS allegedly a PITA when they came out, (unless you had a system with enough Ram to run it.)

Ken

Breadfan
11-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Vista is very stable, in the right config.

The problem Microsoft faces is the multitude of hardware and software that is "compatible" with it's OS. There's millions of combinations of hardware and software.

When Vista was first released the database of compatible and "MS Tested" drivers was limited. It's growing, but still a bit limited, and many low tier peripheral makers will never go through the difficult (and expensive) MS driver validation.

So as everyone becomes accustomed to writing software and drivers for the new Vista platform there will continue to be issues.

Your laptop was designed to run Vista by Toshiba, so it's validated as stable before Toshiba released it. Toshiba will not release a system that's flakey on Vista becuase THEY will suffer, not Microsoft. Now, add third-party peripherals or software and go outside the box of the Toshiba setup, and that's where you *may* encounter problems.

Vista is stable enough for release but like in the past MS is using the buying public as their test community. You're effectively testing Vista. Many of the bugs being reported now that are OS glitches will be fixed in SP1.

Win2000 wasn't truly "stable" until SP2. XP was a dog until SP1a. Business as usual.

What Vista needs is some time to work out the initial bugs (i.e. SP1) and for the hardware and software vendors to catch up. Apple has it easy - test the 6 hardware peices and 17 software apps for the Mac and call it a day. OK that's exaggeration but the hardware market for PC vs Mac is very different, and it affects the OS greatly.

Go to a local computer show and note a few things, 1.) ratio of PC based hardware and software peripherals compared to Mac ones, 2.) # of offbrand peripherals for PC, and how many come with drivers on a freakin' CDR!

There are pro's and con's for the high amount of PC hardware compare to Mac, pro being choice you get in hand picking your hardware, vendor, and price, con being the chance of getting something crappy and makers taking development kits and running with them without good control over the results (but mainly your uber cheapo tier).

As for your Win98 desktop, I'd highly recommend upgrading to atleast Win2000.

Win 95, 98, and Me use a memory subsystem that's called "non protected", Win NT/2k/XP/Vista use protected memory. What this means is that each application gets a dedicated chunk of memory. If an app fails in Win98, most likely the entire OS will crash or become unstable becuase all the apps are jumbled in the memory. Impossible to cleanly kill becuase it's fragmented all over the place, intertwined with other apps, etc.

Nt based OS's use protected memory, each app gets an allotted slot of memory, it dies, you kill that alloted slot, OS is more than likely OK if a bad app crashes.

I hope this is more informative than it is rant-sounding!

The summary is that the Vista/XP debate has pros and cons on both sides, the best days were when you could buy XP and get a Vista upgrade coupon so you could have best of both worlds, but those days have passed.

jgc61sr2002
11-19-2007, 05:19 PM
I am on my second Dell and have been very happy with their performance.:D

PS IMO their tech support is excellent.

Raudermaster
11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Exactly what Breadfan said. You NEED a minimum of 1gb+ to run Vista, that's what I hate about it. I mean, back in highschool when XP first came out, we were putting it on machines with friggin P2/P3's in them, 64mb of ram and it would run just fine. Try that with Vista and you'll end up slitting your wrists over it.

offroadkarter
11-19-2007, 06:54 PM
I still haven't figured out what is wrong with Vista? I haven't had a problem. I bought my Toshiba laptop in April to replace a stolen one. 2 GB ram, Vista, 17 in. widescreen, w/numeric keyboard. Everything that I've heard about Vista is etc that you need plenty of ram, 1 GB min. 2 GB is ideal.

Just remember Win98 is no longer supported. So I'm ***** out of luck with my Desktop. Can't even get updates for some Anti-Virus or spyware programs. Girlfriend bought a laptop over the weekend, I attempted to hook-up the wireless G router through a Win98 desktop. Linksys doesn't support Win98, so I had to call a foreign speaking tech help to walk me through installation. And in time Win2000 will no longer be supported, then XP... If I recall, weren't all the previous OS allegedly a PITA when they came out, (unless you had a system with enough Ram to run it.)

Ken

You can still get the last updates for win 98 off of microsoft's webpage. I have.

Vista has alot of bugs and problems, plus it isnt fully supported by microsoft because of that. XP is still the fully supported version.

Ken
11-19-2007, 07:48 PM
You can still get the last updates for win 98 off of microsoft's webpage. I have.

Vista has alot of bugs and problems, plus it isnt fully supported by microsoft because of that. XP is still the fully supported version.I guess my point was more that the clock is already ticking on Win2000/XP/and even Vista. The support for XP will run out before Vista as newer OS become available, not necessarily talking about MS, but I went looking for different updates over the weekend and noticed Win98 programs not being able to be updated or supported; Linksys, AntiVir, Lavasoft AdAware, Spybot-Search and Destroy. I've noticed others recently too.

Ken

fastblackmerc
11-19-2007, 08:54 PM
You might be able to get updates for 98 but Microsoft stopped supporting 98 on July, 11, 2006.

End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me

July 11, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy. Microsoft will retire public and technical support, including security updates, by this date.

Existing support documents and content, however, will continue to be available through the Microsoft Support Product Solution Center Web site. This Web site will continue to host a wealth of previous How-to, Troubleshooting, and Configuration content for anyone who may need self-service.

Microsoft is retiring support for these products because they are outdated and can expose customers to security risks. We recommend that customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as soon as possible.

Customers who upgrade to Windows XP report improved security, richer functionality, and increased productivity.
Top of pageTop of page
End of support for Windows XP Service Pack 1

On October 10, 2006, Microsoft will end all public assisted support for Windows XP Service Pack1 (SP1). After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide any incident support options or security updates for this retired service pack under the policies defined by the Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy.

To enhance the security of your computer and to continue to receive updates for Windows XP, we recommend you upgrade your computer, for free, to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

fastblackmerc
11-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Vista has alot of bugs and problems, plus it isnt fully supported by microsoft because of that.

Does Microsoft know this?

PS. I hate Windows.......

Raudermaster
11-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Windows ME is an abomonation to Operating Systems. Bill Gates' nephew had to have developed that POS. I think the Calculator application is more advanced.

Aren Jay
11-21-2007, 09:52 PM

Sager doesn't make it's notebooks.

They are made in Taiwan by companies like CLEVO and Chicony and Compal etc...

http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/index.asp

Have look and see if anything looks familiar.

If you want one I would personally recommend www.Pro-star.com (http://www.Pro-star.com) They sell the same stuff and they have been very good with me.

I used to have a relationship with Broad Ax computers but they screwed me out of a bunch of money so I will never recommend them again.