PDA

View Full Version : Sap?

TiTo35
11-20-2007, 08:46 PM
:mad2: I have no idea where this ooey gooey substance came from...but its on the hood of my MM...Anyone have any ideas of how I should go about removing it? :help:

I think people are mad at the fact I have a MM and they dont...:P LoL

ImpalaSlayer
11-20-2007, 08:54 PM
car wash>? soap? water? little bit of gasoline perhaps? :dunno:

TiTo35
11-20-2007, 09:15 PM
:)That simple?:)

ts-pa
11-20-2007, 09:19 PM
You can try "bug & tar removers" from an auto store. I think that it is just mineral spirits. Make sure that you wash with soap & water before to remove as much dirt from the car. Use a terry cloth like towel, auto store sells them cheap if you don't have any old ones, to clean with mineral spirits. Then wash again afterwards to remove the mineral spirits. Don't let the sap harden, it is much harder to remove!

Hope this helps; let us know your method & results.

TiTo35
11-20-2007, 09:22 PM
You can try "bug & tar removers" from an auto store. I think that it is just mineral spirits. Make sure that you wash with soap & water before to remove as much dirt from the car. Use a terry cloth like towel, auto store sells them cheap if you don't have any old ones, to clean with mineral spirits. Then wash again afterwards to remove the mineral spirits. Don't let the sap harden, it is much harder to remove!

Hope this helps; let us know your method & results.
I guess I have to do that tomm cause I noticed it tonight...I hope the stuff dont harden...

TiTo35
11-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Oh...Thanks!!!

freakstatus
11-21-2007, 01:44 AM
Do you park under a tree somewhere? Work, home, school?

Marauderjack
11-21-2007, 04:23 AM
I guess I have to do that tomm cause I noticed it tonight...I hope the stuff dont harden...

If it is Pine sap it is easily removed with rubbing alcohol...even if it dries hard!!!:beer: I discovered this years ago when I parked under a Pine tree and got the sticky stuff all over the car...even the cloth convertible top!!!:mad2:

I tried gasoline....Goo Gone....lighter fluid and other common products but found Isopropyl alcohol works GREAT with very little rubbing!!!:bows:

Marauderjack:burnout:

ts-pa
11-21-2007, 04:30 AM
If it is Pine sap it is easily removed with rubbing alcohol...even if it dries hard!!!:beer: I discovered this years ago when I parked under a Pine tree and got the sticky stuff all over the car...even the cloth convertible top!!!:mad2:

I tried gasoline....Goo Gone....lighter fluid and other common products but found Isopropyl alcohol works GREAT with very little rubbing!!!:bows:

Excellent tip, I didn't know that one!

magindat
11-21-2007, 05:25 AM
Denatured alcohol from the paint supply section works even better as it's a bit stronger. Will remove wax, but not paint or color.

Marauderjack
11-21-2007, 05:41 AM
Denatured alcohol from the paint supply section works even better as it's a bit stronger. Will remove wax, but not paint or color.

Yeppers.......

But 90% IPA is about $1.00 a quart at Wally-World!!!:D

Either one will work extremely well and WILL NOT HARM YOUR PAINT!!!:beer::bows::banana2:

BTW.....How ya like dat ProCharger??:confused:

magindat
11-21-2007, 05:46 AM
BTW.....How ya like dat ProCharger??:confused:

I can't keep the tires planted no matter what I do!!!! Gotta drive like grandma!

J/K I love it!

Marauderjack
11-21-2007, 05:50 AM
I can't keep the tires planted no matter what I do!!!! Gotta drive like grandma!

J/K I love it!

He He He......It's AMAZING ain't it??:burnout:

Just remember "Surprise Down Shifts" are NO FUN IN DA RAIN....and can get you in trouble when it's dry too!!!:argue::cool:

Have FUN.....BE SAFE!!!:D

CRUZTAKER
11-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Whatever you use...

Don't rub too hard, start with a thumb, and resort to cloth if skin isn't abrasive enough, and use only 100% cotton item.

If you have a 300A in Black, the slightest pressure with a cloth will leave permanent clear coat damage.

Hopefully the sap has not left damage.

I have two spots where bird droppings left permant marks in my clear coat.

TiTo35
11-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Do you park under a tree somewhere? Work, home, school?
Nope, but I was up at 4 this morn cleaning her up...it came off since it was not hard...Whew!

ckadiddle
11-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Don't forget to rewax or polish the area you used cleaner on when you are done.

Frank Androski
11-21-2007, 08:42 AM
alcohol , have used it for the same problem , it works.
best way,clean cotton balls ,dip wipe and swipe then a new one.
takes time. be sure to rewax or protect a.s.a.p.

TiTo35
11-21-2007, 01:00 PM
:beer:Thanks again fellas!:beer:

:banana:Problem solved:banana: