PDA

View Full Version : The Next Time Someone Says .....

Bluerauder
11-27-2007, 01:55 PM
"Hey, this stuff isn't brain surgery" ..... you can be thankful.

"Hospital makes 3rd Brain Surgery Mistake
Providence, RI -- Rhode Island Hospital has been fined $50,000 and reprimanded ..... after its third incidence this year of a doctor performing brain surgery in the wrong side of a patient's head."

http://www6.comcast.net/news/articles/health/2007/11/26/Mistaken.Surgeries/

Left?, right?, left?, right? ... oh I forget !!! :rolleyes: A $50,000 fine is nowhere near enough to correct these types of mistakes.

Pops
11-27-2007, 02:30 PM
I saw that and laughed. I bet the lawyers are getting a good laugh out of it also.

Blackmobile
11-27-2007, 02:49 PM
"Hey, this stuff isn't brain surgery" ..... you can be thankful.

"Hospital makes 3rd Brain Surgery Mistake
Providence, RI -- Rhode Island Hospital has been fined $50,000 and reprimanded ..... after its third incidence this year of a doctor performing brain surgery in the wrong side of a patient's head."

http://www6.comcast.net/news/articles/health/2007/11/26/Mistaken.Surgeries/

Left?, right?, left?, right? ... oh I forget !!! :rolleyes: A $50,000 fine is nowhere near enough to correct these types of mistakes.

I can hear it now...."If I had half a mind I'd take you to court......Oh I do...so I will.

hot-rauder
11-27-2007, 03:14 PM
great now i can have 2 good laughs...

"its not brain surgery"
and
"its not rocket sience"

since NASA loves duct tape, i guess nothing is really rocket science lol

Raudermaster
11-27-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm glad I only have to drive through there occasionally....

knine
11-27-2007, 10:16 PM
I survived brain surgery in 2004. Explains quite a bit, doesn't it? ;)

Zack
11-28-2007, 06:44 AM
I survived brain surgery in 2004. Explains quite a bit, doesn't it? ;)

Was that your Cranial-Rectal inversion operation?
:rofl:

ckadiddle
11-28-2007, 07:17 AM
My wife has instructions to use indelible marker to write "WRONG SIDE" and "OPEN HERE" on the appropriate body parts as an extra safeguard if I am unable to do it myself. Seems like we had someone amputate the wrong leg at Tampa General a while back.

When I had eye surgeries a few years ago, they started asking which eye we were doing at the reception desk, and I had to wear a sticker on my forehead all morning. Musta been asked eight or ten times which eye..it was getting annoying, but I did appreciate their thoroughness.

Bluerauder
11-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Musta been asked eight or ten times which eye..it was getting annoying, but I did appreciate their thoroughness.
Thoroughness??? I would have been scared "*****lezz" that they even had a clue as to what they were doing.

There is something terribly wrong with a health care system that amputates the wrong arm or leg .... or that removes the wrong part of the brain .... or that administers incorrect medications. The problem is systemic and needs to be addressed from within the system. I read an article not long ago that indicated that some 197,000 people died "unnecessarily" in the US in 2005 due to such oversights and inattention to detail. This is why malpractice and health insurance premiums are climbing out of sight at double and triple the rate of inflation. The system does a very poor job of policing the incompetents from within its ranks.

ts-pa
11-28-2007, 08:37 AM
At the pre-op, I had the doc mark an "X" on the good knee & "circle" the one to be operated on. He laugh at me not trusting him, but better to be safe than sorry.

VAmarauder03
11-28-2007, 01:14 PM
My wife has instructions to use indelible marker to write "WRONG SIDE" and "OPEN HERE" on the appropriate body parts as an extra safeguard if I am unable to do it myself. Seems like we had someone amputate the wrong leg at Tampa General a while back.

When I had eye surgeries a few years ago, they started asking which eye we were doing at the reception desk, and I had to wear a sticker on my forehead all morning. Musta been asked eight or ten times which eye..it was getting annoying, but I did appreciate their thoroughness.

When i got knee surgery a couple years back they asked me multiple times which knees was getting operated on, and sometimes by the same person, it was explained to me later that often they use that just to see how aware of things you are after they give you all those meds