PDA

View Full Version : Need a place to crash around Cleveland tonight!

Pops
12-07-2007, 11:17 AM
I need to be in cleveland on Sat. morning. Does anyone have a place i crash tonight. I am going to Mentor to but a 1964 Ford Fairlane and am closing the deal on Sat. It is a tribute car built for Gas Rhonda with a 427 dual quad 4 speed. Already been taken care of Thanks.

:burnout::burnout::burnout::bu rnout::burnout::beer::beer:

Zack
12-07-2007, 11:24 AM
John, thats not your cell #

Pops
12-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks Zack! I am just a little excited right now. Zack could you post a picture for me?

Zack
12-07-2007, 11:55 AM
http://i22.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/c9/2f/fae5_3.JPG
http://i15.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/c9/30/2685_3.JPG
http://i11.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/c9/2f/ff57_3.JPG
http://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/c9/30/1fa3_3.JPG
http://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/c9/30/17c6_3.JPG

merc
12-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Holy Cow, the car of my dreams:bows:

jdando
12-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Looking good John!

I hope you have a BIG garage.

jeremy

FordNut
12-07-2007, 01:38 PM
What a lucky find! No wonder you're so excited.

GreekGod
12-07-2007, 01:53 PM
I don't know how John sleeps at night, stealing cars like this from people ;)...this car would cost BIG bucks to build...

With the recent renewed interest in authentic 1960's drag racing legends, and their cars, it seems that every car that's had a racing heritage has been restored or is in the process of being restored.

First, here's the history: by mid year at the NHRA nationals, Tasca Ford had converted a 1963 Ford Fairlane into a serious AF/X contender with the 427 engine. Bill Lawton was able to record a 12.21 at 118.42 before Dave Strickler took the AF/X class trophy with a Z-11 Chevy. But Tasca's 427 Fairlane definitely caught the eye of the Ford execs in Dearborn.

By now, Super Stock drag racing was a big business at Ford. A Special Vehicle program was created, managed by Frank Zimmermann. His first job was to organize the drag racing program and to establish the Ford Drag Council, composed of top drivers who also happened to be sponsored by Ford dealers in selected geographical areas.

The 427 Fairlane, soon to be known as the Fairlane Thunderbolt was Zimmermann's first real project. The Thunderbolts were designed at Ford and built by Dearborn Steel Tubing. By the time the Thunderbolts were unleashed onto the drag racing world in 1964, NHRA had decided that a minimum number of cars had to be built in order to qualify as a "production" car. Although only 50 cars were required, somewhere between 110 and 127 Thunderbolts were eventually built. As a result, the Thunderbolts were eligible to run in Super Stock rather than in Factory Experimental.

If you could get one, the price was only $3900 a copy. The NHRA weight minimum for Super Stock was now 7 1/2 pounds per cubic inch. At 427 cubic inches, this worked out to 3202 pounds. The Fairlane Thunderbolt was lighter to begin with and also had a shorter wheelbase (115 1/2 inch compared to the Galaxies 119 inches).

To make the 3200 pounds, the front fenders, hood, doors and bumpers were fiberglass duplicates. Other than the stock windshield all the other windows were plexiglass. Two lightweight bucket seats were used in the front and the stock bench seat was used in the rear. Insulation was non existent. The floor mat was a thin rubber piece with no padding.

The 427 engine had 13.3:1 compression ratio and a forged steel crank, hi-riser heads and custom tube headers. The S/S rules called for "full exhaust" so a single small diameter exhaust pipe and muffler was included. Special modifications were required to the inner fender panels, upper A-arm brackets and A-arms. The inboard headlights were replaced with 6 inch diameter ducts designed to carry fresh air to the carbs.

A Borg-Warner T-10 4-speed or a specially beefed up Lincoln Cruise-O-Matic automatic transmission was available. About half of the Thunderbolts were originally equipped with the automatic trans but reliability problems caused many racers to eventually convert to the 4-speed.

In the rear, "ladder bars" built from square tubing and modified leaf springs were used. To counteract torque, the driver's side had two leafs and the passenger side had three. The standard axle ratio was 4.56:1. Originally in the trunk was a 125 pound truck battery but after NHRA objected, a smaller, 95 pound battery was used.

The first seven cars were painted burgundy and all the rest were white. In the first test of the Thunderbolt in S/S trim, Gas Ronda ran a 12.05 at 120.16. Finally, Ford had a Super Stocker that could dominate the field. The NHRA Winternationals final in 1964 was between Gas Ronda and Butch Leal, a reconstituted Chevy 409 racer from Pixley , CA . The all Thunderbolt final was taken by Ronda with a 11.78 at 123.40. Gas Ronda went on to sent a new NHRA record for Super Stock at 11.52, and won the Top Eliminator Title in September, 1964.

Gas Ronda is now in the NHRA Hall of Fame. Real Thunderbolts are rare, and high dollar cars. And, while this 1964 Ford Fairlane is a tribute car, it's the ULTIMATE tribute car. This astounding replica was built for Gas Ronda, by his son, John, and his grandsons, John, Jr. & Christian Ronda, at Ronda Racing, as a tribute to Gas Ronda's accomplishments in 1964.

This Fairlane was meticulously built from the ground up to match the specs of one Gas Ronda's original 1964 Ford Fairlanes, which were the precursor to the Thunderbolt. With a correct fiberglass hood and front & rear fiberglass bumpers, this car was painted and lettered exactly like the original car that ran in 1964.

The fit & finish on this car is astounding. The body is perfectly straight and without any blemishes of any kind. All of the trim is NOS or perfect original pieces. All glass is absolutely perfect. The interior is brand new and no nonsense, with new carpet, seats, door panels, window cranks, door handles, dash pad, headliner and, package tray. Some modern touches include a Grant steering wheel and Autometer Phantom guages, including voltage, speedometer and fuel.

The drive train in the car is the real deal: a 1964 427 with a hi-rise manifold and three two barrels. An Edelbrock water pump and an aluminum radiator were used to keep this beast cool... after all, it was built for taking to shows, in addition to flying down the track! The inboard headlights were replaced with 6 inch diameter ducts designed to carry fresh air to the carbs, just like the factory car.

Also present are 2 1/2" headers, mated to a 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust. A Borg Warner T-10 4 speed was installed, sending power to the Ford 9" rear end with a 4.56 gear ration. Power gets to the ground via Mickey Thompson 15" drag tires (26X10.5 rear, 26.0/4.5 front), mounted to American Racing Mag Wheels.

In the rear, an authentic reproduction ladder bar is present, and, as is correct, modified leaf springs were installed, with the driver's side having two leafs and the passenger side having three. This Fairlane is tuned to perfection, and while we have not raced it, it sure feels like mid 11 seconds are a given on this fantastic car!

The car is signed by Gas Ronda and is about as real as you can get! As factory drag racers will tell you, these cars changed week in & week out. Most of the nostalgia drag racers being restored these days are, at best, a copy of what the car may have been like at a single point in time. There are no original parts used, and, in most cases, the original body is not even there. And, you will rarely find a nostalgia drag car with its original drive train. After all, they were blown up every other week!

This car was a labor of love, built by the family of the man who made it famous. It's a true piece of history and an attractive addition to any serious Ford collection. Proudly offered at $65,900.00.

Raudermaster
12-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Wow! Beautiful car John! Congrats on the buy and post more pics when you get it.

Ken
12-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Unfortunately, I just got home, wish that I'd have seen this earlier. I'm about an hour west of Mentor.

Ken

CRUZTAKER
12-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Unfortunately, I just got home, wish that I'd have seen this earlier. I'm about an hour west of Mentor.

Ken

I wasn't aware of this post until after 5 as well.

Sorry John, had I known sooner we could have worked that out.:(

rayjay
12-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Congrats John! That is one beautiful piece. :up:

GreekGod
12-08-2007, 07:46 AM
...here is a link to many high quality photos:

http://www.bestofshowautomotive.com/Cars/131124/Pages/cars.html

GAMike
12-08-2007, 08:39 AM
What a lucky find! No wonder you're so excited.

Big +2 John! Christmas is commin early for ya:banana2:

Pops
12-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Well I am back from looking at the car and found nothing disappointing on it. It is exactly as they stated. This is going to be a fun car to drive and I will have a hard time waiting until spring for the first trip down the road.
This all happened so fast that my head is still spinning! I have to thank Linda for giving me a Christmas present that I have wanted since I was 14 years old. The 427 Fairlanes were the number one car on my wish list! I never would have believed anyone if they had told me I would have this car some day. This is more than a dream come true and untill its delivered to me next week I will have a hard time thinking that it is not a dream.
The car will be here before Christmas and will have a big red bow on it.
There are a few of these cars that have been built, but not many that have a vintage 427 in them and I do not know of any that have history like this car. The car was built very well and has no frills. It is like a time capsule. Gas Rhonda has signed the hood and both doors. Most of the lettering is hand painted just like it would have been in 1964. The car sounds awesome with the mufflers on it and I can only imagine what it will be like with open headers. A liile more history on this car and its life on the auction block. A year ago it was purchased at an auction for $136,000. This was wheneveryone was buying cars and going from auction to auction and making a lot of money by reselling them again. It was taken to another auction and had a reserve of $86k and did not sell. From there the owner took it along with a bunch of other cars he had to another auction and all the cars were no reserve and it sold for 47K. The guy took a huge hit on his cars and I purchased it from the dealer in Ohio. I feel like it was a good value and think that it will maintain its value plus some in the coming years. I guess it was my turn to own a piece of history. The original Gas Rhonda Thunderbolt is in the NHRA hall of fame. Time to quite ranting and I will post more when it shows up.

CRUZTAKER
12-09-2007, 12:21 PM
It was nice to see you John. Glad to hear you made it home ok.;)

03blackvegas
12-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Nice sled dude, really.

Shankin
12-10-2007, 06:03 AM
That car rules! Love the vintage race car iron!!!!!!! If you drive on of these cars it makes you appreciate the guys who use to bang the gears in them.

chader
12-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I love this car.One question,I was under the impression that these cars were all post cars??Am I wrong?

Pops
12-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I have been told that they were also hardtops built. But could be wrong.

Hack Goby
12-10-2007, 01:20 PM
This is from the FME meet at the glass house on`05.http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/4/0/DSCN1961.jpghttp://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/4/0/DSCN1960.jpg

Hack Goby
12-10-2007, 01:36 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/427fairlane/index.htmlHeres a "Thunderbolt" website.It`s got popups though.

chader
12-10-2007, 08:04 PM
wow,awsome info...Thanx..looks like a hard top could have been out there someplace?

Pops
12-12-2007, 06:18 AM
Keep in mind that his car car was built as a Tribute to his father. It was not billed as a Clone.

Marauderjack
12-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I don' mean to act ignorant but what exactly is "Gas Rhonda"???:confused:

Sounds like a class but beats me??:shake:

Marauderjack:burnout:

Pops
12-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Gas Rhonda was a Ford Factory driver in the 60s. His son built this car as a Tribute to his father. He drove the Super Stock Fords and later moved up to the A/FX cars. He was burned in a funny car accident and his son John took over the driving. John now has a race shop called Rhonda racing. I talked to him on Monday and learned a lot of history. He is now building a 65 Comet A/FX car to play with. He expects the comet to run in the 10s and be streetable. He told me this car has gone 11.20s. I wonder if I will be able to drive it that well. It has been a long time since I was on a four speed!

Marauderjack
12-13-2007, 05:40 AM
Gas Rhonda was a Ford Factory driver in the 60s. His son built this car as a Tribute to his father. He drove the Super Stock Fords and later moved up to the A/FX cars. He was burned in a funny car accident and his son John took over the driving. John now has a race shop called Rhonda racing. I talked to him on Monday and learned a lot of history. He is now building a 65 Comet A/FX car to play with. He expects the comet to run in the 10s and be streetable. He told me this car has gone 11.20s. I wonder if I will be able to drive it that well. It has been a long time since I was on a four speed!

John,

Was that actually someones name or a pseudo.....like "Marauderjack"??:confused:

BTW.....You did GOOD with that purchase!!!:beer: Can't wait until you get it home and drive it a bit!!!:shake:

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!!:beer:

Marauderjack:D

GreekGod
12-13-2007, 11:06 AM
...John now has a race shop called Rhonda racing. I talked to him on Monday and learned a lot of history...He told me this car has gone 11.20s... I wonder if I will be able to drive it that well. It has been a long time since I was on a four speed!...

Can you give us the car's specs (weight, hp, engine build, trans, rear end)?

I can test shift it for you, as I am a gear-jammin' truck drivin' fool :burnout:, in addition to being a legend in my own time :bows::bows::bows:.

Pops
12-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Dale that is a legend in your own MIND! Trying to get the specs for the car now. It turns out all the paper work was with the previous owner and he had passed away. They are working on finding out if they still have it.

GreekGod
12-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Dale that is a legend in your own MIND!

I demand your respect...I will not tolerate your insolence! :mad2:

Pops
12-18-2007, 10:15 AM
They are going to deliver the Fairlane Saturday afternoon. Its going to snow so the burnout will have to wait! That sucks. But its still a great Christmas present.

High-C
12-18-2007, 10:18 AM
They are going to deliver the Fairlane Saturday afternoon. Its going to snow so the burnout will have to wait! That sucks. But its still a great Christmas present.

Congrats John. That car is just plain sick... When I finally bring my DTR up there this summer for some bad-ass tunes, you'll have to give me a ride in that beast. :cool: