PDA

View Full Version : Unholy Alliance-Apple & AT&T

Pat
12-07-2007, 02:45 PM
My lovely, but tenacious wife, Patricia, purchased a "My i-pod Phone" made by Apple but marketed by AT&T at our local AT&T outlet. The store salesperson would not activate the phone nor would the store sell insurance against damage nor would they open the box for inspection until payment was made.

She brought it home and gift wrapped it. A few weeks later she presented the gift to our soldier only to be horrified that the phone inside the box was smashed. The box did not exhibit any distress and the box was never opened, just sat on our kitchen counter.

I relate this story as a warning to those who deal with electronic outlet stores.

After returning home we asked the retail store for a replacement but was told that they do not replace or service Apple products and we would have to deal with them. Apple, in turn, said that their products are never damaged in shipment and they would not replace the phone. It was our fault that the phone was damaged.

The wife, employing negotiating skills, that arguably could bring peace to the middle east, convinced Apple to accept the phone and associated packaging and determine if it was damaged in shipment. They sent a special box and within two days sent it back saying that it was the customer (us) who for any number of reasons, listed in the cover letter, that caused the damage.

Back on the phone to Apple, Patricia, not accepting their desultory analysis convinced the second Apple phone representative to replace the product.

Apparantly Apple's policy is not to honor replacement claims due to shipping damage. Although the Apple representative was cordial his script forbade him to replace products.

They are again sending a special box, let's see if they replace the product. This item costs $350.00.

I inspected the container box and it's obvious that the phone can easily be smashed. The phone is adequately protected on the bottom and sides but not the top. The phone itself is actually pressed against the box top with no packing material of any sort. Any significant pressure on the top of the box such as stacking can break the phone.

Let the buyer beware.

vkirkend
12-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Sounds like a matter for the COnsumer Protection Office. IF it was gift did it come with a gift receipt?

MM2004
12-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Your local newspaper may also be of help in this matter.

Best of luck and keep us posted...

Mike.

drwhy
12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Charge back the credit card. That's an easy one.

Tom

ckadiddle
12-08-2007, 09:28 AM
I can almost see the Local TV station action reporter standing in front of the store right now.....

Aren Jay
12-08-2007, 10:00 PM
I would send said device to your favourite web site that is influencial but not in the pocket of Apple.

Unfortunately I do not have enough pull with Apple to have any consequence in such matters as of right now. If I did I would help you out.

Tomshardware.com
SharkyExtreme.com
Hardocp.com
TheInquirer.net
Gizmodo.com

All would like to hear about this, they may even take ht ephone off your hands and do a story. Some do not like Apple and have been waiting for such a thing, others will gladly accept a donation and do an investigation.

Up to you, sometimes satisfaction can be found in many places, revenge is only one form. You might even get a response, from Apple later on and a New iphone.

Anthony
12-09-2007, 12:23 PM
iphones have to be activated via itunes.

Aren Jay
12-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I wonder what smashed means?

Damaged or broken ?

If damaged don't worry about it if it works.

Pat
12-09-2007, 07:08 PM
In this instance "smashed" would be like what happens to a mirror when you hit it with a ball peen hammer.

Since our second round with Apple was Friday, the product hopefully will be picked up early next week. The protocol goes like this: Apple sends a special shipping container with certain ID numbers. We put the product inside and Fex Ex picks up the package the next day.

The representative also told us to keep the original unit's computer chip (packaged seperately) for use with the new product.

So, we'll see how it goes next week.

hdwrenchtx
12-09-2007, 08:15 PM
http://thedarkcyde.net/images/UnholyAlliancePoster.jpg

and i thought this was a Slayer thread. :beer:

Pat
12-23-2007, 08:19 PM
APPLE COME THROUGH

As promised by the second Apple representative the company picked up the smashed product and sent a new replacement in time for Christmas. We inspected and activated the product just to make sure. It worked.

Thanks to Patricia's outstanding negotiating skills she was able to convince
a reluctant Apple to replace the product. She should be in the State Department. Humm......a third career?

Just to close the books on this experience.