PDA

View Full Version : Memories Of Christmas Past

Bluerauder
12-11-2007, 01:27 PM
I grew up in the 1950's so I can really associate with the movie "A Christmas Story". Here are some of my early memories of Christmas. Post yours ....

MEMORIES OF CHRISTMAS PAST

1. All 5 watt blue lights on a live Christmas tree

2. A Christmas garden under the tree with both Lionel and HO trains, fake snow, and handmade houses, church and train station.

3. Selling Christmas trees during the holidays for $1.00 per foot in 10*F weather and having a 55 gallon drum fire nearby.

4. Bundling holly branches into 25, 50, and 75 cent bundles for sale in the neighborhood

5. Christmas dinners at the grandparents with all the family in attendance

6. A ladder firetruck, a yellow dump truck, and a construction bucket loader

7. Helping my father string the lights outside, on the tree, and on the garden

8. Pine smell throughout the house

9. The smell of fresh baked Christmas cookies

10. The total glow and magic of Christmas morning

vkirkend
12-11-2007, 02:13 PM
The little (then) xmas lights that screwed in to the sockets and the special bulbs on the tree that had colored water and "bubbled" once they heated up. Later the aluminum Xmas trees and the turning 4 color disk that you used to change the colors of the tree. Kids riding their new bikes in the streets T-shirts and shorts. (Hey, it doesn't get that cold in Houston, TX!!)

Zack
12-11-2007, 02:15 PM
I HATE Christmas Lights.

High-C
12-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Sneaking my Dad's "special" egg-nogg and getting into the Christmas Spirits...:cool:

pantheroc
12-12-2007, 10:37 AM
1. Spending hours rifling through the JCPenney and Sears Christmas catalogs making my list of gifts, even though one or two was all I'd get.

2. Opening those gifts and cherishing them.

3. Crawling under the tree looking up from underneath at the decorations and lights and day dreaming.

4. Throwing outdoor bulbs into the street to hear the pop, after procuring them from the neighborhood with my brothers and friends.

5. Sneeking into my parents closet to see the wrapped goods prior to "Santa" arriving.

6. Helping my mom decorate.

7. Making those stained glass (plastic) oven baked ornaments.

Haggis
12-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Waiting for the mailman to deliver the large box full of cookies from my grandmother, yum....home made.

Mike M
12-12-2007, 11:08 AM
The little (then) xmas lights that screwed in to the sockets and the special bulbs on the tree that had colored water and "bubbled" once they heated up. Later the aluminum Xmas trees and the turning 4 color disk that you used to change the colors of the tree. Kids riding their new bikes in the streets T-shirts and shorts. (Hey, it doesn't get that cold in Houston, TX!!)

I totally forgot about the 4 color-color wheel. I think we had ours outside shining on our house.
I also remember Coca Cola ornaments for some reason.

Local Boy
12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
AH, To be young again...

Now, all I get is bills...

Oh well...such is life...

ALOHA