PDA

View Full Version : Ford Excursion consideration

Motorhead350
12-23-2007, 02:37 AM
I might get one of these monsters and wanted to know if anyone knew about them. I heard that the 6.0 engine is junk and the 7.3 is what to look for. Does anyone know if the 6.8 is a goodie? Also I know about the 5.4, but have no idea if it's any good. My parents have an 05 navigator and we had to replace the 5.4 at 12,000 miles so that engine doesn't really have good grounds with me. Any thoughts?

Aren Jay
12-23-2007, 02:44 AM
isn't the 7.3 on recall

PhastPhil
12-23-2007, 05:25 AM
The dealerships around here can't keep them on the lots. There's a waiting list for them. Many people who bought one, come back looking for another.There's a huge demand for them. One local dealer has had people fly in from across the country to buy them. A friend of mine bought a 2004 Limited with the 5.4. He absolutely LOVES it !!
The owner of a local boat yard went back to buy another after using his wife's at the boat yard to move boats around. He has to buy his wife another one.

mpearce
12-23-2007, 06:59 AM
we had to replace the 5.4 at 12,000 miles

Did you change the oil?

CROWNMARAUDER
12-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I had an excursion a few years back with the V-10. It had decent power, got 10-12 mpg. I have a couple trucks at my work with V-10's & haven't had any isuues with them.

Raudermaster
12-23-2007, 09:09 AM
My friend's Dad had the 6.8l V10 one. He had no problems or complaints with it. Just traded it in because it had high miles.

Joe Walsh
12-23-2007, 09:25 AM
isn't the 7.3 on recall

My buddy just took his 7.3 in for a cam position sensor recall.
Ford replaced it and had him on his way in no time.

Did you change the oil?

They had a 'piston slap' recall on those 5.4 Excursions. Another friend of mine had an 5.4 Excursion with excessive piston noise...especially when cold.
He had to fight like hell with the dealer to get the engine fixed...they eventually put in a whole new engine.

Having had an F150 5.4 2V and now an F150 5.4 3V engine;
I was NOT impressed AT ALL by the weak 5.4 2V engines...I wouldn't even consider one unless it came with a blower like the Lightnings.
Now the 3V 5.4 are another story...they pull really well and actually breathe in the higher rpms. Although I HATE the electronic throttle on the new F150!

SG1NUT
12-23-2007, 09:28 AM
The V10 has decent power, and is very smooth. The 7.3L is also nice, a bit loud maybe, but reliable. If you like trucks, you will like the Excursion since it is basically a Superduty with a cap on the back.

Aren Jay
12-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Just remember that it will not fit in a smaller garage height length problems.

The local place around here sells the Excursions with lift kits, makes them real monsters, or the limo versions.

http://woodridgeford.com/images/lift10.jpg

ImpalaSlayer
12-23-2007, 12:18 PM
thats a bad lookin excursion diabolical. 7.3 is a nice motor dad has one in is E350. not very fast but dosent have a problem pullin or 20ft trailor with just about anything we put on it (anything from scrap metal to a bell helicoptor). its not as fast as the 6.0 but then again it weighs im guessin the + side of 8000lbs

Peace2Peep
12-23-2007, 12:23 PM
I've got one with the 6.0 and I love it! It is my second Excursion...first one we had a rollover accident in last December 14, 2006! My wife as well as my 3 year old and 2 year old were in the truck when we were broadsided by an "Oldtimer" that didn't "See us"...we rolled twice and landed in a ditch! I can PM you some pics if you want, but basically we were all fine! Not one major injury(sore back and lots of anger) but hurt pride in my baby I owned since new!

I now own my second(bought used) with the 6.0 and all I can say is if you've never owned one....listen to ME! I OWN ONE NOW! The 7.3L was very reliable and was NOT louder at all, in fact it is quieter. My 6.0 however has more power and WAY more technology at it's disposal for making more power(Superchips, SCT, predator, etc...) The five speed electronic tranny is awesome and only second to chevys allison for performace and is pretty bulletproof. With a tuner and intake and exhaust you can easily hit 380 hp and 600 ft lbs of torque reliably in a 6.0L.

If you buy a used truck(seeing that they quit making them in 2005) and it runs well and pulls no codes(dummy lights etc...) it's going to be fine. If there is a problematic 6.0L at this point it has already been dealt with...btw still has a 100,000 powertrain warranty!

Now for my biggest rant: If you buy an Excursion BUY A DIESEL! Any other version is a waste of time and money in my opinion. No other engine can push that 8,000 pound truck with authority. If you drive my chipped truck you would love the speed(I sneak up on a lot of people...including Marauders) and the power/smooth transmission. For towing, it's a no brainer! Gas engines in this application are a joke! I get 17-18 mpg in my truck in mixed driving....with a 44 gallon tank! I get 21 mpg on the freeway if I stay at 65 mph...way less for every mph above that though.

There is a Ford dealership in Wisconsin that specializes in Excusions(only diesel) look up EVSAUTO.com Theyve got 23 of them on their websie right now! They also have some dealer buy backs and repos, but they always disclose that info...sell more of them than anyone and they are quite proud of them!

Couple sites to check out:

FordTruckEnthusiasts.com

TheDieselStop.com

Both have Excursion sections...read and learn! 2005 was the best year for the Ex! Happy motoring!

Raudermaster
12-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Joe, the throttle by wire won't be a problem if you have Lidio tune. :) Dad's truck screams even more now with it.

SHERIFF
12-23-2007, 05:29 PM
6.0 has a bad reputation. 7.3, excellent. 6.8 too new to know much yet.

You have to do a whole lot of driving for the diesel to pay off in the long run now, with the price of diesel higher than gasoline. Even on a used Excursion you will pay $4,000 to $6,000 more for a diesel engine.

I have a V10 gas, runs good, has plenty of power. And it's the nicest vehicle I have ever owned in my life. The size, there's just nothing out there like it. If you stop beside a Suburban you will notice the driver has to look up to you. Size is important to me because of the safety factor of course.

I don't think you will ever regret buying an Excursion. As long as you realize right up front that they are fuel hogs.

Joe Walsh
12-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Joe, the throttle by wire won't be a problem if you have Lidio tune. :) Dad's truck screams even more now with it.

I read on Lidio's site about his truck tunes....but my F150 is a company vehicle, so it's not 'mod-able'.

If I owned it, I'd have a Lidio tune and a custom header/exhaust on it already!...:up:

Motorhead350
12-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I found an ex-government truck that is a 2002 with 47,000 miles and the 6.8 engine.... mine for $6,500! :eek: The problem is it has a small dent in the front and is as basic and can be... it doesn't even have carpet, but for how much money I would be saving over a $26,000 one and puting the savings into mods thats what I want. I'll look into them, but tomorrow I will hammer my passenger wiper back on my Blazer. ;) The Navigator had it's engine replaced because of one bad piston ring... Ford thought it was cheaper to replace the engine rather than rebuild 1/8th of it.

Eric91Z
12-24-2007, 04:37 AM
I would have to agree with that Peace said above. I spent a lot of time looking at these before and when it comes time for me to get a truck/SUV in the next couple of years it will be a diesel Excursion and it will have the 6.0L in it.

The 6.0L did get a bad rap initially, but by now all of the recalls for the known issues should be done on one. Plus, with the diesel, they ride nice, has no issues power wise and will easily run 70-75mph on the highway without even trying. And at that speed you can't even hear the motor.

I love the room, size, look, interior capacity, etc. I don't think you can go wrong with one. But, just like any other vehicle, make sure to be religious on your tranny maintenance. And, just my input, I wouldn't go with either of the gas engines and stick to a diesel in one of those. I don't think it takes much driving at all to make up for a 4-6 mpg (or more) gas mileage in one. Especially on road trips.

Peace2Peep
12-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Eric91z...hey! You know your stuff! I love all Excursions, but to me a gas one is like buying a mustang with a V-6 engine. No stabs at my gasoline brothers, but that $6,000 "Premium" is called VALUE. Value by definition REMAINS! I guess there is a reason why a gasoline version depreciates like a Ford Contour while ANY diesel truck sells at a "Premium" and keeps its value...Oh and by the way, the diesel DOUBLES the gas mileage of the gas vehicle in any form...I think that will take a lot less than years to make up for. In most states diesel is about 20 cents a gallon difference(not double the price), that would probably matter less to a crowd that puts premium in their daily drivers(Mercury Marauder). Oh! I've gotta add...gas engines dont have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty...I think we know why!

Merry Christmas!

Eric91Z
12-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Eric91z...hey! You know your stuff! I love all Excursions, but to me a gas one is like buying a mustang with a V-6 engine. No stabs at my gasoline brothers, but that $6,000 "Premium" is called VALUE. Value by definition REMAINS! I guess there is a reason why a gasoline version depreciates like a Ford Contour while ANY diesel truck sells at a "Premium" and keeps its value...Oh and by the way, the diesel DOUBLES the gas mileage of the gas vehicle in any form...I think that will take a lot less than years to make up for. In most states diesel is about 20 cents a gallon difference(not double the price), that would probably matter less to a crowd that puts premium in their daily drivers(Mercury Marauder). Oh! I've gotta add...gas engines dont have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty...I think we know why!

Merry Christmas!

Shoot, at 100,000 miles a diesel is just getting broken in...

Yeah, when it comes time I will buy mine as a keeper and to haul/tow with, so I don't want to "make due". Especially with a vehicle of the sheer size of the Excursion. Plus, a diesel is so easy to modify with simple CAI, Exhaust, and tuner.

Aren Jay
12-25-2007, 01:47 PM
If you want a real big truck you might want to look at an International instead. MXT or CXT. When only a big truck will do and you something reliable and more Hummer like than a Hummer.

http://69.20.127.42/portal/site/ITrucks/menuitem.e791808b9f771fb0dd60c 610580dbea0/?vgnextoid=8e793d9e417dd010Vgn VCM1000002101010aRCRD

Or if you absolutely must have a Ford.

then there is the:

http://www.f650pickups.com/indexb.html

but your not going to get one of these for $6500

But when only the biggest and best will do:

http://www.f650pickups.com/jd1.jpg

Motorhead350
12-26-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm a Chevy guy, but they do not make anything these days that excites me at all. I need an SUV because I do not need a pickup plus they are banned on a road I use very often here in Chicago called Lake Shore Drive. Also I think the pickups stand taller too so they won't fit in city garages. It's a tough life.

Aren Jay
12-26-2007, 08:28 PM
You can get the F650 XUV.

http://www.f650pickups.com/jj8a.jpg

Eric91Z
12-27-2007, 05:32 AM
You can get the F650 XUV.

http://www.f650pickups.com/jj8a.jpg

That is the SUV/Family Hauler/Tow vehicle I would get - IF I WON THE LOTTERY. Those things are EXPENSIVE. Nice rigs though.

Bradley G
12-27-2007, 06:35 AM
5.4L will move the vehicle just fine.
Big payloads & or, towing is a different story.
Unless you plan on keeping it ten years + and putting huge mileage on it, the gasoline engines are decent.
Diesel fuel in this area is over .50 cents a gallon more than gas.
Do the math, you would have to drive a whole bunch, to get any return on investment.
The v-10 has been around for a long time, nuttin' to worry about.
I found it interesting the difference in mileage between Excursions with the same engines, watch your RAR.

Raudermaster
12-27-2007, 12:45 PM
The V10 Excursions are by far more popular. I just did an Auto Trader search and found 15, 12 of them were 10's, 2 were diesels and one was the 5.4.

Eric91Z
12-27-2007, 01:27 PM
The V10 Excursions are by far more popular. I just did an Auto Trader search and found 15, 12 of them were 10's, 2 were diesels and one was the 5.4.

The diesel is definitely the hardest to find - at least around here. And around here, diesel it only about 10 to 20 cents more per gallon that regular and about the same as premium. So that is a wash to me.

Again, for me it is the diesel. Why buy something that big that you can get buy with (although with crappy gas mileage) in a gas engine when you can enjoy all the benefit of diesel.

Shoot, give you a reason to hit up your local fast food joints to take their used grease off their hands and make your own bio-diesel at home to use if you wanted...

BLACKMARAUDER04
12-27-2007, 02:25 PM
The Deisel Would Be The Engine Of Choice For Towing In These Monsters.

offroadkarter
12-27-2007, 03:41 PM
If you want a real big truck you might want to look at an International instead. MXT or CXT. When only a big truck will do and you something reliable and more Hummer like than a Hummer.

http://69.20.127.42/portal/site/ITrucks/menuitem.e791808b9f771fb0dd60c 610580dbea0/?vgnextoid=8e793d9e417dd010Vgn VCM1000002101010aRCRD

Or if you absolutely must have a Ford.

then there is the:

http://www.f650pickups.com/indexb.html

but your not going to get one of these for $6500

But when only the biggest and best will do:

http://www.f650pickups.com/jd1.jpg

International is owned by volvo and volvo is owned by ford, so buying an international would one way or another be in the blue oval :)

Windsor58
12-27-2007, 09:57 PM
A good resource is blueovalnews.com
It looked to me like Ford and Navistar don't have the best relationship these days (lawsuits, etc.). How that affects the quality of those diesel engine, if at all, I don't know.

here's a couple more links to review:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16304&hl=Navistar

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16357&hl=Navistar

http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-diesel.html

I would read up on the specific engine you are considering and see what the problems have been with that engine. That way, you will know what questions to ask (recalls, problem areas, etc.) while you are looking at those engines.

That said I know some folks that love theirs and have had no problems.

drwhy
12-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I drive the V-10 Excursion in my signature to Kentucky twice a year. 14.5 MPG at 80-85 MPH. You really have no idea of your speed, it's so smooth. Doesn't steer quite as tight as the Corvettes, however. :)

I'll say this about the Excursion. Before I bought it I had a 2000 AWD Astro LT. The Astro really had more usable interior space and had excellent traction in snow with the AWD and G80 locking diff. I really miss the Astro and it was a great daily driver. The Excursion is more of a collector car just like the MM for me at least.

Tom

Eric91Z
12-28-2007, 11:49 AM
There is a Ford dealership in Wisconsin that specializes in Excusions(only diesel) look up EVSAUTO.com Theyve got 23 of them on their websie right now! They also have some dealer buy backs and repos, but they always disclose that info...sell more of them than anyone and they are quite proud of them!

Wow, just checked out this website and can't belive how many they have. They have about as many diesel's for sale on their site as I found on eBay total.

Too bad the one I want is still out of my price range: 2005 Limited 4x4 with the diesel, 2nd row captian chairs, DVD setup, and tow package. They have one like I would take listed for $41,995. Although I really want the second row captain chairs, too.
Something like this would make me VERY happy:

http://prv.carspot.com/vehicle_display.pcgi?vehicle_i d=11437&dealer_id=30&code=G14

Or this Eddie Bower one would be nice:

http://prv.carspot.com/vehicle_display.pcgi?vehicle_i d=11450&dealer_id=30&code=G14

I have added that website to my favorites for future reference!!

SHERIFF
12-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Here's some interesting reading on the 6.0 by Excursion owners. The engine has a clear reputation as junk.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/688679-2003-x-opinions-needed.html

Eric91Z
12-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Here's some interesting reading on the 6.0 by Excursion owners. The engine has a clear reputation as junk.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/688679-2003-x-opinions-needed.html

I agree, the '03 6.0L PSD was the worst with the most problems. I would never buy an '03. I would do an '04 or '05 and make sure all of the recalls had been done. Plus, I would want the 5-speed auto as well.

To each his own... Definitely not trying to tell anyone what they need to do, but the reading and research I have spent on this I would be happy with the 6.0L that was either good to start with or had the recalls done. And I would be looking to buy with under 100,000 miles anyway so it would still be covered under warranty. - when/if the time comes.

Aren Jay
12-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Unimog U500 you should have a look.

Motorhead350
12-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks again for all of the info. I'll know to stay away from 03's with the 6.0 engine. I don't know if I will aquire one anymore, but it's nice to have gained some knowledge. :cool: