PDA

View Full Version : Good Grief

lastdaze04
12-23-2007, 11:28 PM
You can bull #**t some of the people some of the time and other folks all the time but some people just never size up thier audience, and are too absorbed in themselves. Let me start out by saying I live out in the middle of nowhwere, and down the road a new neighbor moves in with of all things a new 5.7l Canary Yellow Hemi Charger (not sure what the color is correctly named) with the Hemi Billboard on the hood. I will say it is sharp. Well to make a long story longer, (I have the next 3days off) I was outside, changing the plugs on my MM (due to a recent thread on how long to go between sparg plug changes, yes I was overdue:() at about 11:30am Sunday and at the corner I suddenly hear an obnoxious roar I turn around and look and I see this Charger going full tilt ( it seems to hang in 2nd for a brief moment) making more noise than progress, I watch till he is out of site. I return to my job @ hand, then a few minuites later I hear this same awful noise again, I turn around and look and it is the same dude doing an instant replay:shake:, again I watch and listen more closely, no tire sqeal must have a traction control device on, again he seems to make more noise than progress. I again return to my job, a few minuites later again it the same car with another instant replay, I,m thinkin if I ever meet up with him I think I might even be able to put him out of his misery. He has taken off the stock mufflers and and put something on that sounds terrible. Anyway at least I know he is home and I will go over and welcome him to the neighborhood (such as it is out in the middle of nowhere). So I hop in my car start it up, let it warm up a bit and listen and feel for any abnormal vibrations.(non detected) go down my driveway and proceed to get on the hiway, I gently get on it and go thru the gears (try to notice any improvement) and I make my way to his place about 1/2 mile away. I introduce myself and tell Him that he has a sharp lookin car and that I used to be a Mopar Maniac (having had a 340 six-pak Dodge Demon, that ran a respectable mid 13.s back in the early 1980's and then in the early 1990's I had a 10.70sec 63 Plymouth Sport Fury. I ask him if he likes his car, and of course he proceeds to tell me all about it. I ask him how fast is it and this is when the crap proceeds to pour out of his mouth. He says it is about 500 hp and is a 10 sec car I shake my head in disbelief (oh wow:bs:) So I try to be intelligent without insulting his intelligence and ask him what mods he has done to his car to make it that fast. And of all things he says "nothing, it came that way from the factory, it was at that time that I realized I was talking to someone who was seriously infatuated with his 1st new fast car and everything else on the street to him is a piece of dung. I held my tongue in check (hard to do) and listened to the rest of his bologny, and then I recalled back in the days it seemed that many of the mopar guys seemed to be this bullheaded. Not once did he ask about my car, he probably thinks it a Grand Marquis. Anyway I asked him if there were any mods planned nitrous, forced induction, and he said of all thing yea "compressed air". I said compressed air??:confused: And he said he would like to use 2 nitrous bottles with 100% compressed oxygen, he said it would be easier than a blower, So I intelligently asked how he was going to remap his computer so that it would read the pressurized air coming into the engine, also how was it going to go in?-- via maf or thru injectors like the gas does, he said he hasn't got that far yet.:shake: Anyway no responce needed, just needed to vent my frustration.
Thanks
:beer:

teamrope
12-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the laugh. You'll have to tell us about the kill when you meet him at a light. :D

Shora
12-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Too bad you didn't ask him for a quick race. Should have been easy to do since you both live "in the middle of nowhere".

I would have loved to hear about the look on his face when his 10 second 500HP car lost a race to a car he knows nothing about.

Also, I wonder why he lied about changing out the mufflers when he stated that it "came from the factory like that."

RCSignals
12-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Oh that's hilarious.

I know what you mean about 'many of the mopar guys seemed to be this bullheaded'. I don't know why that is but I've witnessed it too.

Next time you see him tell him you've been thinking about his compressed air idea and he should experiment with a portable tire inflator that plugs into his cigarette lighter socket.

DOOM
12-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Dude you shoulda blown his doors off and told him you had 600hp from the factory. The look on his face woulr have been priceless.:awe:

lastdaze04
12-24-2007, 12:24 AM
I didn't bother to tell the durn fool that Chrysler had made ner to impossible to remap the computer on the Hemi Motors. He is obviously new at this, and at one time we were all new at something and probably said something that didn't make anysense. I will cut the guy some slack this time. However I was wonderin if I had brought over a 12pk of brewski how much taller the tale would have grown:beer::beer::beer::D.

03blackvegas
12-24-2007, 05:48 AM
Just show him a road test article on his car, should clear up in writing how much power and how quick it really is.

larryo340
12-24-2007, 06:46 AM
First off, it sounds like he is NOT a true "Mopar guy". Having a new Charger does not make someone a Mopar guy. He probably bought it because he thought is was cool it was blinded by the advertising and hemi badging on the car.

I am a "Mopar guy" but with '60s and early '70s Mopars (with the exception of the new Challenger) Alot of my friends have Mopar muscle cars of that era with a couple of REAL hemi cars in the mix, and we respect other makes of muscle cars with the exception of the "wallet ride" (=those that pay others to build their car for them) I realize todays cars are more difficult to work on as far as special tools and much tighter tolerances, so some outsorcing is needed.

As far as new cars go I am a "Ford guy" There is still a Marauder somewhere in my future.

magindat
12-24-2007, 06:48 AM
"Wallet Ride" :lol:

Those guys are why I stopped competing in car-stereo!!! :argue:

Just catch Mopar boy on the way home some day and smoke his arse. :D

Mike Poore
12-24-2007, 07:10 AM
In that little visit you learned much about your new neighbor, and what he is, and isn't, so far as automobiles go.
The wisdom in not lowering yourself to his mechanical level required great restraint, and I applaud you.
You've made a friend, and who knows; he may be the volunteer fireman ...or brain surgeon that saves your bacon, one of these days. ;)
Never mind ..the notion that there's a 10sec Hemi in the neighborhood should be most comforting :rofl:

Bluerauder
12-24-2007, 07:12 AM
You've made a friend, and who knows; he may be the volunteer fireman ...or brain surgeon that saves your bacon, one of these days. ;)
Let's hope that he knows more about brain surgery and fighting fires than he does about cars. :rolleyes:

Mike Poore
12-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Let's hope that he knows more about brain surgery and fighting fires than he does about cars. :rolleyes:

The world famous orthopod that replaced/fixed my poor ACL didn't know squat about the BMW M-6 he drove. ....said his friend recommended it, and told him it was a great car, although he thought it was maybe a little too fast. :drive:

BUCKWHEAT
12-24-2007, 11:02 AM
...in the 1/8th.

Bradley G
12-24-2007, 11:41 AM
You played it like a true entheusiast.
I came across a similar SRT-8 Charger owner a short bit ago, I just said in closing, "Just Watch out for Marauders".
He was just like , "Those ain't nothing"
I can only hope I catch him at a traffic device, someday. :D

Bigdogjim
12-24-2007, 11:52 AM
I just wonder what his salesperson though as he drove away? :rofl:

Starman
12-24-2007, 12:21 PM
I just wonder what his salesperson though as he drove away? :rofl:
$$$$Kaching - Kaching$$$$

CRUZTAKER
12-24-2007, 01:56 PM
I'd be ashamed to live next door to a moron like that....

Doh...that's right, I already do. :rolleyes:

Wait a few years to get to know each other.
Perhaps he will do as mine did and actually suggest a race might be close.

I could not help myself in saying that these two cars are in entirely different leagues. He suggested, "...I don't know...this thing is pretty fast.."

:baaa:

Here is what my neighbor sports..... :baaa:

http://www.ecarsolutions.net/images_stock/1982_camaro_z28_2.jpg

Leadfoot281
12-24-2007, 05:25 PM
I met a guy while in High school who thought he had a really hot car. It was a earlly 80's CV 2 door. He claimed it had "twin turbos" so I asked to see his engine.

Under the hood was an oily, stone stock 302. I asked him where the turbos were. He said "They're inside the mufflers."

VAmarauder03
12-24-2007, 10:44 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Hey guys i showed this thread to a buddy of mine at work who drives a charger r/t and he posted it on his forum...their reactions were entertaining, almost sounded like some challenges were being made. as soon as I find the link ill post it.

sincerely,
The Neighborhood Instigator:P
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

VAmarauder03
12-24-2007, 10:53 PM
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62000&highlight=marauder

that should be the link, one of our own posts on that site i think maybe he can give some insight. let me state im not trying to start anything, i just thought some of their "uninformed" statements were entertaining

Aren Jay
12-24-2007, 11:35 PM
Bet my neighbour is noisier!

He started his Murceilago one evening just to start it and run it in his garage and woke everyone up in the nieghbourhood. It was only 10pm but every little kid screamed.

captain
12-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Hope he's a better driver than mechanic. Might be wise to look and listen before you or your loved ones enter the "open roads" with him around. These "guys" give big cars a bad name. Be nice, be careful. Maybe he will grow up. I wouldnt run him. There is likely another car just like it you can screw with.

lastdaze04
12-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Just show him a road test article on his car, should clear up in writing how much power and how quick it really is.

That is probably the most common sense approach, that way I don't look like the know-it-all. :D

lastdaze04
12-25-2007, 12:10 PM

that should be the link, one of our own posts on that site i think maybe he can give some insight. let me state im not trying to start anything, i just thought some of their "uninformed" statements were entertaining

I know your intentions might be good but I just got back from reading the RT Forums, now I'm the bad guy. :flamer: :P But it does make interesting reading.:D

Aren Jay
12-25-2007, 03:21 PM
These guys are almost as bad as the crossfire forum I am banned on.

lastdaze04
12-25-2007, 04:06 PM
These guys are almost as bad as the crossfire forum I am banned on.

I just got back from the Charger R/T forums. It was not as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. Everyone was quite civil. If you want to hear of some bad mouthing try being a Mopar guy at the Corral.net forums:eek:. You can tell the age difference there as compared to here and at the Charger R/T forums, growing up does have its benefits.:beer:

RCSignals
12-25-2007, 04:13 PM
He was just like , "Those ain't nothing"

He must read Car and Driver ;)

RCSignals
12-25-2007, 04:14 PM
First off, it sounds like he is NOT a true "Mopar guy". Having a new Charger does not make someone a Mopar guy. He probably bought it because he thought is was cool it was blinded by the advertising and hemi badging on the car.

I am a "Mopar guy" but with '60s and early '70s Mopars (with the exception of the new Challenger) Alot of my friends have Mopar muscle cars of that era with a couple of REAL hemi cars in the mix, and we respect other makes of muscle cars with the exception of the "wallet ride" (=those that pay others to build their car for them) I realize todays cars are more difficult to work on as far as special tools and much tighter tolerances, so some outsorcing is needed.

As far as new cars go I am a "Ford guy" There is still a Marauder somewhere in my future.

but you are a Real Mopar guy.

RCSignals
12-25-2007, 04:20 PM

Seems a lot of those guys don't know the difference between a Grand Marquis and a Marauder.

407MARAUDER
12-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Im left home just after reading this topic on the overzealous guy and his charger. And who pulls right up on my tail on a city street but a base model 3.5 liter all black charger with a black grill and pitch black tint. I slow down to 0 above the speed limit because i thought it was an unmarked by the way he was on my back for 5 min. I looked harder in my rearview and realized that there was a female on the passenger side and a young guy driving..at first chance he blew past me. At the next light at a stop on take off i left him like the road runner..of course now hes mad and decides he has to prove his ''non hemi'' in front of his girlfriend. He speeds past me doing like 85 right in front of the Sherriffs office headquarters for my whole county:stupid:. I hope that made his christmas. Because there is no way that his car could stand a chance. I can only imagine how someone with a hemi feels about their car if this guy felt like superman in his car.

J D
12-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Well Well Well, that was an interesting read. I know there's a black charger (I think R/T) near by me somewhere as I helped dig him out when the snow plows buried his car a winter or two ago. He knew enough to tell me to dig out the back wheels as the car had rear wheel drive, so I might have to see if he'll give me a go, just hope I don't blow it and give us a bad rep, as I have precious little to no experience actually racing.

Any tips for an stop light racing noob, would be appreciated, hell its only been two years since I learned you start in 1st then shift up as you go . . .

Haggis
12-26-2007, 05:49 AM
...hell its only been two years since I learned you start in 1st then shift up as you go . . .

OUCH!!! Bye bye tranny.

ckadiddle
12-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Gawd...and I thought I was mechanically ignorant.....

Bradley G
12-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Overdrive button off, leave the gear shifter in drive, watch for the yellow light (not yours) and hammer down!
He will most probably beat you by a small margin.
If it bothers you to get beat, call the "Curator of Speed" he'll get you squared away.PM me with any questions:D

Well Well Well, that was an interesting read. I know there's a black charger (I think R/T) near by me somewhere as I helped dig him out when the snow plows buried his car a winter or two ago. He knew enough to tell me to dig out the back wheels as the car had rear wheel drive, so I might have to see if he'll give me a go, just hope I don't blow it and give us a bad rep, as I have precious little to no experience actually racing.

Any tips for an stop light racing noob, would be appreciated, hell its only been two years since I learned you start in 1st then shift up as you go . . .

Joe Walsh
12-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Anyway I asked him if there were any mods planned nitrous, forced induction, and he said of all thing yea "compressed air". I said compressed air??:confused: And he said he would like to use 2 nitrous bottles with 100% compressed oxygen, he said it would be easier than a blower, So I intelligently asked how he was going to remap his computer so that it would read the pressurized air coming into the engine, also how was it going to go in?-- via maf or thru injectors like the gas does, he said he hasn't got that far yet.:shake: Anyway no responce needed, just needed to vent my frustration.
Thanks
:beer:

I hate dealing with 'Tards like that....they KNOW EVERYTHING!

Whenever I meet someone, and it immediately becomes obvious that they are mechanical morons as they start babbling about their car, I will end the conversation ASAP.

BTW: If you have the misfortune to talk to him again, ask him why he needs to add Nitrous Oxide AND compressed air to his engine?...
BUT, by all means, encourage the dork to do so, telling him he'll run 9s with those mods to his engine!!!:eek:....:D

lastdaze04
12-26-2007, 01:55 PM

I will say from my standpoint it was interesting! There have been over a 1000 readers on that particular thread:eek:. You might not have wanted to start something but ya did. Oh well, I just got off work, and it is Miller Time.:beer:
Rick:burn:

tbore007
12-27-2007, 08:16 AM
I will say from my standpoint it was interesting! There have been over a 1000 readers on that particular thread:eek:. You might not have wanted to start something but ya did. Oh well, I just got off work, and it is Miller Time.:beer:
Rick:burn:

Subject: Re: Found this interesting.... - Dodge Charger Forums

Please post the following: How to ID a real MoPar guy with 5 EZ tells: 1) If the hood is pinned on its got a 318, not a twin magneto crossrammed 540 inch Hemi. 2) When asked by strangers, it makes 250 HP to the wheels, not per cylinder as is true. 3) The turn signals and rear plate light work, its a STREET car, uppity cops have no sympathy for the 14.5W x 32 Hoosiers and the wheelie bars. Bastards. 4) "Will race for beer" is crudely written on the tail panel in vomit (Common, you guys hear me!!!) 5) We have a crate of ballast resistors, MSD boxes and the other associated $h t we need for keeping it running for more then 10 hrs / 200 mile in the trunk next to the fuel cell, battery and 3/4 case of Bud.

You Marauder guys are great. I have owned a Ford or two. Last December I had a blast at your track meet dispite the police almost arresting me and almost impounding my friends blown Monte SS. Dodge's ugly abortion attempt at a Charger (4 door whor wagon) has got nothing on your proud MUSCLECAR. Be well, and bring cash if you want to race my '68. She's going back together. Mostly Old Parts And Rust, Made Of Plastic And Rot, Fixed Or Repaired Daily, *****ed On Race Day AND LASTLY G arbage M obile but RICE is for BLOWING UP GEESE / not for drivin', so we're all good bros. Peace

dreydin
12-27-2007, 03:31 PM
ahaha! great reads! both threads! :lol:

J D
12-27-2007, 03:47 PM
OUCH!!! Bye bye tranny.
Indeed, I had to replace the trans a year or so later, and now I'm lecturing my parents about down shifting on very steep inclines. But such is youth, and many years from now children shall never touch my baby without close supervision if at all.

P.S. god I sound so old, too much time on this forum.:D

my_rodder
12-27-2007, 05:34 PM
I loved Dodge, growing up in a Dodge family. My husband is Chevy guy, and I have been in them all and choose to drive Fords. I love it when they make a great car, no matter who makes it, as long as it's American!
A car is only as good as the person in the factory who put it together, and the parts they get on the line. After that, it is all about the mods you do and the money you spend. Car companies are after the "all mighty dollar", they don't care who you are as long as you pay the price. It won't be long and the V8 'fun' car will be gone, in its place... a gas sippin' turd.
I would like the Mopar guys to look at my avatar and realize that you have to have a good car to take you to 236,000 and still have the balls to take on any given car when the chance comes along:P:burnout:
Liz

J D
12-27-2007, 06:30 PM
A car is only as good as the person in the factory who put it together, and the parts they get on the line. After that, it is all about the mods you do and the money you spend. Car companies are after the "all mighty dollar", they don't care who you are as long as you pay the price. It won't be long and the V8 'fun' car will be gone, in its place... a gas sippin' turd.
I would like the Mopar guys to look at my avatar and realize that you have to have a good car to take you to 236,000 and still have the balls to take on any given car when the chance comes along:P:burnout:
Liz
I concur, and wow! 236K, thats beautiful :awe:

I'm allowed one immature moment, right?
heh, you said turd :P

sound&security
12-28-2007, 10:38 PM
I didn't bother to tell the durn fool that Chrysler had made ner to impossible to remap the computer on the Hemi Motors. He is obviously new at this, and at one time we were all new at something and probably said something that didn't make anysense. I will cut the guy some slack this time. However I was wonderin if I had brought over a 12pk of brewski how much taller the tale would have grown:beer::beer::beer::D.
hey guy's!!! and you can remap the pcm and the tcm's on the hemis with no problems what so ever. THE DIABLO SPORT'S tuner will put 29 horse to the rear wheels on a 6.1 and around 26 to the rears on a 5.7. and there is a side menu in the tuner for custom tunes as long as you use a dyno to tune it. the timing and the A/F can be adjusted by the tuner. and there is a compressed air [cr02] system for the car. summit racing sells it. theres also may cams/heads and convertors/and race axles for the chargers. the one missed thing about the new chargers when the magazines do their testing is the rhe pcm and tcm take at least A coupe thousnd miles to LEARN the magazine 1/4 mile time's are off. most 5.7 chargers stock [broken in] will run in the high 13's to low 14's and the srt's are seeing high 12's stock will the right track condistion's. but most of the time around 13.20's. the hemis are NOS hungry and love it. ask around over ON www.lxforums.com (http://www.lxforums.com) ad there is plenty of 11 sec 300's and chargers over there and all of them are runing 287 gears in the 5.7's and 306's on the srt's. the stock r/t is 350 hp and 390 fpt. the srt is 425 hp 450 fpt.