PDA

View Full Version : New found respect.

Aren Jay
12-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Or maybe it is just fear.

When I was younger, about 20 years ago I had long hair. Really long hair. I would walk through malls and people would jump out of my way. I never thought anything about it and it never became appearant why this was happening until I got a hair cut, completely short haircut. I was still 6'5" in running shoes but suddenly I was being jostled and bumped and nobody would get out of the way. It was like I was 5 feet tall suddenly. I was amazed how long hair and then short hair could make such a difference.

I've had short hair for 20 years now. I found on Boxing day a great sale and bought my long awaited full length leather coat. Black, down to my ankles. I was just walking through the mall and guess what. People are jumping out of my way. Men mostly but some women too. They see me coming towards them and go all wide eyed then edge to the side out of my way. Some stop dead in front of me and then leap back. I smile and say softly and politely excuse me. Then carry on. One older lady in Ikea had her back turned to me and was standing in the way. I said excuse me again softly and politely and she mumbled something then looked over her shoulder at the sheet of black leather and froze, She then backed up several steps and apologized profusely.

Now I mastered the walking through crowds in England with short hair, that is done by looking up at the street signs, in england street signs are about 15 feet above the road on the building sides. When you do this people will not want to bump into you and will move slowly out of your way. You need to walk slowly like this or you risk tripping stepping in a hole or off a curb etc... If you look down or straight ahead people will not move for you. Most poeple walk around either looking blankly forward or at their feet. This looking up technique does not work on mothers with strollers. They will just run right into you.

With my new Leather coat, I look straight ahead. People move, they fidget, they jump and start. It is hard not to burst out laughing. I can move fast they jump faster farther. Even bigger people get out of the way. 500 pound guy leans over the railing so you can walk past untouched. 7 foot guy stops steps to the side waits for me to pass then continues walking.

When I was at College, in England, the vice president of my College - Daryl had and wore his full length leather coat on a trip to Moscow. My College in England, was the only college to have a twice annual trip to Russia during the height of the cold war. Loads of cloaks...

Anyway Daryl was walking down the street in Moscow, this was in 94 or 95 and people would see him coming, stop cross the road, then wait for him to go past, then they would cross back and continue on walking down the sidewalk. I just thought it was paranoia from the KGB and communism for those people back then.

I found out lately that it is not. Everyone fears the black full length leather coat wearing guy. Everyone.

But getting into my Marauder just completes the uniform.
I only wish I could take it off without dragging the bottom in the mud.

BruteForce
12-30-2007, 01:12 AM
Everyone fears the black full length leather coat wearing guy. Everyone.

yawn. :rolleyes:

freakstatus
12-30-2007, 01:19 AM
Maybe its cause they think you have shotgun under there and might snap.

Marauderjack
12-30-2007, 04:03 AM
Maybe they think you're gonna FLASH'em??!!:eek::shake::lol:

Mike Poore
12-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Maybe they think you're gonna FLASH'em??!!:eek::shake::lol:

BWHAAAAAAA :rofl:

finster101
12-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Just imagine if you still had long hair. Biker jacket, beard and leather head wrap has the same effect.

Aren Jay
12-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I Japan it is tatoos that have this effect.

I don't have tatoos, just scars but scars do not worry people over there.

Tatoos are the domain of Yakuza, they are pretty much the only tatooed people.

Hawaiian shirts are also somewhat like tatoos. Most Yakuza types.

Strange watching everyone shut up and look away from the Japanese guy in the Hawaiian shirt and the guy with tatoos standing next to him.

BruteForce
12-30-2007, 01:18 PM
You are confusing fear with respect. They are not the same thing.

Good paper on what respect is and what it isn't (http://eqi.org/respect.htm)

Here is an excerpt that discusses the difference between fear & respect.

A New York City gang member was asked why he carried a gun. He replied: "Before I had this gun, I didn't get no respect. Now I do."

Similarly, teachers and parents often belief that if a child obeys them, or says "Yes, Sir/ No, Sir," it means the child respects them. Several teachers have told me they felt more respected when there was more 'discipline' in the classrooms. When I probed deeper, without fail they made it clear that they were talking about a time when there was more use of corporal punishment in school, and thus more fear of physical pain for disobedience.

There is a danger in mislabeling fear as respect. To use an analogy, consider what would happen if two jars in the medicine cabinet were mislabeled. What if poison ivy lotion were labeled as cough syrup, or chlorine as contact lens cleaner?

Here are some comparisons between fear and respect:

Fear is toxic.
Respect is nurturing.
Fear destroys self-confidence. Respect builds it.
Fear is life-threatening. Respect is life-enhancing.
Fear is forced. Respect is earned.
Fear is learned. Respect is earned.

To confuse the two creates serious problems for society.

re·spect [ri-spekt]
–noun
1. a particular, detail, or point (usually prec. by in): to differ in some respect.
2. relation or reference: inquiries with respect to a route.
3. esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment.
4. deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly.
5. the condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.
6. respects, a formal expression or gesture of greeting, esteem, or friendship: Give my respects to your parents.
7. favor or partiality.
8. Archaic. a consideration.
–verb (used with object) 9. to hold in esteem or honor: I cannot respect a cheat.
10. to show regard or consideration for: to respect someone's rights.
11. to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with: to respect a person's privacy.
12. to relate or have reference to.

finster101
12-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Another harmless thread corrected so as to not offend anyone. Sorry for our lack of "correctnes".

hdwrenchtx
12-30-2007, 10:44 PM
trenchcoat mafia? not again

Aren Jay
12-30-2007, 11:07 PM
1. If you want to know what is correct please go to the test forum and sound your ideas out.

2. Money is good.
3. Poverty is Evil.

4. Full Length Black Leather Coat, not a trench coat.

Who said Mafia and coats. I said tatoos and Mafia and Hawaiian shirts.

Next your going to tell me what loyalty is:

Loyalty the lively expectation of favours to come.

Leadfoot281
12-31-2007, 12:10 AM
eh... I suppose it all depends on what your deffinition of the word 'is' is. :burnout:

Haggis
12-31-2007, 05:22 AM
Respect through fear.

Respect my authority.

Peace through superior firepower.

Bluerauder
12-31-2007, 05:36 AM
R-E-S-P-E-C-T >>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xALiBgzPzE

ckadiddle
12-31-2007, 08:11 AM
Years ago, I wore my halloween outfit to the office when we were allowed to on the day of halloween. Parking lot was several blocks away from the building. I still had on my dorky thick eyeglasses, but the black jeans, biker boots, black leather biker jacket with pins and chains, spiked hat and spiked shorty gloves had an interesting effect on passers-by. They actually crossed the street to get away from me. I was maybe six two in the boots and weighed about 350 at the time. :) Some of those people actually KNEW me from work. I thought it was hi-freakin-larious!

dreydin
12-31-2007, 11:04 AM
haha! great post! :cool:

Pat
12-31-2007, 05:40 PM
I experienced a similar reaction from my co-workers and customers.

I knew these people when I was clean shaven but I felt I wasn't being treated with enough respect. I was 40+ and they were twenty somethings.

So I grew a full face beard, neatly trimmed and the effect was immediate.
I was treated with more deference by co-workers, good. But my customers were more "distant", bad.

I found that when people know you clean shaven then have to relate to you after growing a full beard the relationship changes to a more deferrenial or distant nature.

If people encounter you first with a beard the relationship is normal. If you shave off the beard they become more "familiar" with you.

Human nature, predictable.

RCSignals
01-02-2008, 02:02 AM
do you have big black boots to go with that coat?

BruteForce
01-02-2008, 10:50 AM

These boots are made for walkin'...

Aren Jay
01-03-2008, 12:09 AM

My Big black boots are one and a half sizes too small.

so no.

I need size 12 and a half. Ever try and find size 12 and a half? You can't they only make size 12 or size 13.

Then I found out size 12 in England is Canadian size 12 and a half so when I moved there I thought woo hoo I can get shoes and boots that fit.

Only in England they don't sell boots or shoes larger than size 10. (10.5 over here).

So I wear 13's.

I do have some nice dark brown Merrell shoes though.

RCSignals
01-04-2008, 01:32 AM
In England you could have had a pair made for you.

Did you try Sanders shoes?

Motorhead350
01-04-2008, 02:06 AM
I usually walk around my yuppie area in a black biker jacket, jeans and converse shoes... I seem to have the same effect on people, but wouldn't know what to call it. Either way I'm happy with my style and would never pay 70 bucks for a sweatshirt that looks like it was stolen from a painter like some would in my area. :rolleyes:

Haggis
01-04-2008, 04:33 AM
I usually walk around my yuppie area in a black biker jacket, jeans and converse shoes... I seem to have the same effect on people, but wouldn't know what to call it. Either way I'm happy with my style and would never pay 70 bucks for a sweatshirt that looks like it was stolen from a painter like some would in my area. :rolleyes:

That's the reaction one gets when one doesn't bathe regularly.

Local Boy
01-04-2008, 04:18 PM
It's the Hawaiian shirt!!! lol

ALOHA
<!-- / message -->

Motorhead350
01-04-2008, 04:27 PM
That's the reaction one gets when one doesn't bathe regularly.

That is your area. :D When I don't shower I have a hat on because my hair is a mess. Remember when I almost got kicked outta the Texas Roadhouse? That was a day without a shower. I know you have those pictures of me cleaning the floor with my tow truck hat. ;)

Aren Jay
01-06-2008, 12:55 AM
A better reaction is the skunk that rolled in your jacket. I didn't see the skunk but after putting the jacket on, well I soon figured it out. Service wasn't very good in the record shop but the line where I was was very short.

My eyes were watering so badly that I had to go home and have a shower. Washed the jacket for a major improvement but it took 5 or so washings before the smell went away.

Motorhead350
01-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Wait I am confused... who are you talk to or are you talking about? :confused: