PDA

View Full Version : Should I build this truck?

Motorhead350
01-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Today I found a 1965 Chevy C10 Pickup Shortbed Stepside. The asking price is $3,500, but I bet I could get it down to $2,700. It's a southern ride with no rust except for the floors and new floors are included in the purchase.

I just wanna make it a Rat Rod, so very little money will go into this thing. Paint it primer black, take the hubcaps off and paint the wheels and lower it to be 2 inches off the ground and done! I don't care about the radio, a/c or even carpet... just a cruiser.

Does anyone know what a fair condition 65 Chevy pickup would go for? Keep in mind it already has a 350, but I'm not too sure of the details. I will call the owner wed when he comes back to town. Also what is the correct term for what I wanna build? A friend of mine told me "Rat Rod" is actually an offencive term for the style... so what is the correct one?

Aren Jay
01-08-2008, 12:46 AM
You could buy a little model, no rust much cheaper.

1/18th scale. Works for car shows and everything.

magindat
01-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Those trucks drop so easy with the trailing arm rear supension!!!

Perhaps use redline tires and chrome dome caps on the black painted wheels. Classic.

I have no idea what a truck like that is worth, but if it can be made a reliable and low maintenance ride for under 5K, I'd do it.

KillJoy
01-08-2008, 06:09 AM
Today I found a 1965 Chevy C10 Pickup Shortbed Stepside. The asking price is $3,500, but I bet I could get it down to $2,700. It's a southern ride with no rust except for the floors and new floors are included in the purchase.

I just wanna make it a Rat Rod, so very little money will go into this thing. Paint it primer black, take the hubcaps off and paint the wheels and lower it to be 2 inches off the ground and done! I don't care about the radio, a/c or even carpet... just a cruiser.

Does anyone know what a fair condition 65 Chevy pickup would go for? Keep in mind it already has a 350, but I'm not too sure of the details. I will call the owner wed when he comes back to town. Also what is the correct term for what I wanna build? A friend of mine told me "Rat Rod" is actually an offencive term for the style... so what is the correct one?

Who would do the work?

Where would the work be done?

For that price, in good condition, for that make / model, I am guessing something is being left out.

High-C
01-08-2008, 06:30 AM
I had a 72 long bed with a 500+ hp 454... I needed some dough 3 yrs ago and sold it. I wish that I had kept it... It had long tubes and 3" Flowmasters that dumped underneath the cab along with mini-tubs out back. If it's solid, get it... They're really easy to work on and parts are readily available. It would look cool ratted-out as well. I'll post some pics tomorrow. - C

Egon Spengler
01-08-2008, 10:28 AM
I want to do a rat rod myself... I've never heard of the term as being offensive... I want to build up a ford flat head and do a true old school rat rod... Make a "hot rod lincoln"

Motorhead350
01-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Steve I would actually be doing most of the work with a few friends. I wanna learn a little more about building something up. The only thing I am really worried about is the floors because I do not know how to weld.

jonas1022
01-12-2008, 08:21 PM
I had a 66 C10 short bed with the wide rear window. Aztec Aqua paint with white roof. Thing managed 8 mpg. What a POS...:o

Aren Jay
01-12-2008, 10:44 PM
If you can't weld, and are not going to be learning, then you might want to start with something newer and just learn to take it apart and put it back together with new aftermarket parts.

Motorhead350
01-13-2008, 03:53 PM
If you can't weld, and are not going to be learning, then you might want to start with something newer and just learn to take it apart and put it back together with new aftermarket parts.

I have one of those, it's my daily driver currently and it's my signature. :D