PDA

View Full Version : Do we need to manually crank the engine?

Motorhead350
01-10-2008, 02:17 AM
My drummer is slowly taking an interest in cars and his dad has a 78 Camaro Z28 that has been sitting for ten years or so. We decided to fire it up in spring after we change some fluids, lines, filters exc. Do we need to manually crank this engine before we start it up? It has been sitting in a garage all it's life protected from the weather, but not from the temperature change. I don't think the pistons will be stuck, but I know if they are it will take more than trying to crank it... I think we have to spray fluid on the pistons and let it sit for a little while.

My dad had a car that was sitting 11 years and it fired up with just an oil change and a jump. Do you think we need to crank this thing and if so, is there a special tool we must buy? Thank you.

Zack
01-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Pull the distributor and prime the oil pump first.

Paul T. Casey
01-10-2008, 06:12 AM
To answer your question, yes. Here's the way I'd go about it.
1) Drain the old oil and replace.
2) Prime oil pump (as per Zach's instruction).
3) Pull all the spark plugs.
4) Fill cylinders with oil from a squirt can (I'd use something cheap, like Wal-Mart 5W-30).
5) Remove Valve covers.
6) Remove fan belts.
7) Place transmission in Neutral, block wheels.
8) Have lunch (to let the oil wet the rings where you put it into spark plug holes.
9) With a good socket (that fits snug) and a long breaker bar, slowly turn the engine in proper direction. Watch rocker assembly to assure it's not binding.
10) Wouldn't hurt to put some oil in pushrods prior to step 9.
11) Drain all fluids from motor, re-fill, change oil filter, and try to start.
12) Run for 15 to 30 minutes, then repeat step 11. Use water in cooling system for now.
13) Re- start. If all is good, flush cooling system, then refill to spec.

mtenderenda
01-10-2008, 06:14 AM
I concur as to what Paul says:banana2:

Zack
01-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Yep, what Paul said is the gospel!

BigCars4Ever
01-10-2008, 10:18 AM
I agree with everything except
4) Fill cylinders with oil from a squirt can (I'd use something cheap, like Wal-Mart 5W-30).

Use sea foam deep creep or similar fogging spray. It will fill the cylinder with an oil foam that will coat the entire cylinder. Before I moved to Florida that was part of my winterizing process for putting toys into and out of winter storage.

Bobmiddle
01-10-2008, 10:53 AM
I have a 63 VW Convertable that has been sitting for about 2yrs. I was thinking I might not need to do the manual turn over. What do you guys think????

ImpalaSlayer
01-10-2008, 11:24 AM
yeah vdub! i also have a 69 bug almost finished!

ImpalaSlayer
01-10-2008, 11:26 AM
doh! this thing went retarted.

Motorhead350
01-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks Zack and Paul, but what does priming the oil pump mean? Also where do we place the break bar? I would imagine somewhere by one of the front pullys. Also I forgot to ask what should we do about the gas that has been sitting for ten years? Do we get it out somehow? Do we need to replace the fuel lines?

Joe Walsh
01-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I have a 63 VW Convertable that has been sitting for about 2yrs. I was thinking I might not need to do the manual turn over. What do you guys think????

Probably not.....as the clearances on those old air-cooled VW engines are so loose that I was convinced my 70 Beetle's pistons swapped bores on each downstroke!!!...:D

J/K...I'd follow the previously mentioned start up procedure on anything that had sat for over a year. 'Priming' the oil system is a must in my opinion.

Bobmiddle
01-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the info

TooManyFords
01-10-2008, 05:22 PM
While Paul lists a very thorough regiment of procedures, it looks like an awful lot of work for the car.

Me? I'd dump some gas down the carb and jump it. The motor is probably so loose that doing anything else short of checking that there really is oil in the pan is overkill.

Be sure to have a video camera rolling as you hit the key!

John

sailsmen
01-10-2008, 06:02 PM
My wife's brotherinlaw gave her a '71 Bug that had sat in the drive for 3+ years. I drained the oil, cleaned the carb, changed the plugs, points and condensor.

Charged the batt and it ran on the 3rd try. Back then fuel seemed to hold up a lot better than today.

He parked it because it couldn't get a brake tag. The left rear cylinder went bad. I broke a lot of tools trying to get the axle nut off. A retired plumber across the street said use a monkey wrench and pipe, it came right off.

She drove it for 2 years then gave it to brother inlaws father. He restored it and drove it in the Shriner's Parades during MArdi Gras!:D

FordNut
01-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Sounds like an extensive process.

What I've done in the past is:

1. Pull plugs
2. Squirt cylinder lube in the plug holes (Marvel Mystery Oil)
3. Change oil and filter
4. Put in a new battery, connect to a charger
5. Turn over the engine with no plugs installed, turn it over long enough to prime the oil pump and get oil up to the lifters
6. Install plugs
7. Try to start it

There may be problems with the fuel system, either old gas or gummed up parts.

Motorhead350
01-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Still what does priming the oil pump mean? :o

sailsmen
01-10-2008, 08:48 PM
displacing the air with oil. When the engine fires up there is pressure getting oil to the bearings quicker.

same as filling a new filter w/ oil.

Motorhead350
01-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Got it thank you!

gohogs
01-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Priming the oil pump usually means pulling the distributor noting the direction of rotation. On the bottom of the distributor shaft there is a slotted projection. Find a long screwdriver extension that can be fitted into a drill. Insert the screwdriver end down the distributor receiver and engage the oil pump. Crank up the drill in the proper rotation, and voila!, you are pressurizing the oiling system.

Aren Jay
01-12-2008, 07:11 PM
or you could just try and start it.

Motorhead350
01-13-2008, 03:54 PM
or you could just try and start it.

We want it to stay running. ;)

TooManyFords
01-13-2008, 04:45 PM
We want it to stay running. ;)
Dom, there is no guarantee that it will stay running even if you pour a ton of time and money into it... It's a used motor that has been sitting!

Motorhead350
01-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Dom, there is no guarantee that it will stay running even if you pour a ton of time and money into it... It's a used motor that has been sitting!

Won't be my money into it, but it will be my time. ;)

TooManyFords
01-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Won't be my money into it, but it will be my time. ;)

Knock yourself out!

:D