PDA

View Full Version : I need glue

Motorhead350
01-13-2008, 10:33 PM
What us a good glue to use on carpet that is supposed to be attached to my roof? My trucks carpet is now falling on my greasy head. Should I look for a spray, stick or what? I don't want any glue lines. What should I use here?

knine
01-14-2008, 04:32 AM
I'm thinking shampoo. That will solve at least half the problem. That'a a good start.:lol:

magindat
01-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Dom,
Use rubber cement sprayed from an HVLP gun. If you don't have an old or cheap sprayer you can dedicate to rubber cement, use 3M 90. Coat BOTH SIDES let dry to a high tack and 'stick it'!!!
Rich

Haggis
01-14-2008, 06:01 AM
What us a good glue to use on carpet that is supposed to be attached to my roof? My trucks carpet is now falling on my greasy head. Should I look for a spray, stick or what? I don't want any glue lines. What should I use here?

Is your car upside down? How does the trunk carpet fall on your 'greasy' head?

O's Fan Rich
01-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Once a headliner starts falling down, you need to pull it out, strip the hard liner to clean, the reattach all new liner material.
You can get the kits on line.

Smoking in the car is one of the biggest causes of the adhesive letting go I understand. At least it use to be.

magindat
01-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Once a headliner starts falling down, you need to pull it out, strip the hard liner to clean, the reattach all new liner material.
You can get the kits on line.

Smoking in the car is one of the biggest causes of the adhesive letting go I understand. At least it use to be.

I agree with Rich. My procedure assumes headliner is out of the car.

Paul T. Casey
01-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Back in the day when I was broke I had the headliner come down in an old wagon. I bought about 50 thumb tacks, and re-attached it that way. If you're artsy, you could make some sort of design with them.

Paul T. Casey
01-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Just remembered, the wagon was a Cougar Wagon (1977 I think). Car had the best a/c of any I ever owned.

SC Cheesehead
01-14-2008, 11:04 AM
How 'bout a real tall hat?:rolleyes:

SCCh

Pops
01-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Rich has it right!

Breadfan
01-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Agreed. Since that truck has a rear gate, getting the headliner out will be easy. Remove it from the truck then strip it and re-upholster it. You don't need to know how to sew just cut and glue. I've even seen headliner material at the local autoparts store.

Headliner material will have a foam backing (about 1/4" with fabric over that. That's what give the headliner the "soft" touch feel.

You can get cheap and hit your local fabric store but beware of two things:

1.) the cheap fabrics there probably aren't UV protected and may fade over time, plus they won't have the foam already on it.

2.) The simulated leopard skin fabrics you'll end up finding there may be too hard to resist and you'll end up with a leapord skinned headliner.

ImpalaSlayer
01-14-2008, 11:15 AM
thumb tacks :rofl:

hot-rauder
01-14-2008, 11:16 AM
go to a local upholstery company to find the material you need. i use Misty Spray Adhesive to do all my upholstery needs. bu i do home uphiolstery more than auto.... if you want the pro's stuff i can help you get it from my good friend who owns an auto upholstery shop

Motorhead350
01-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks Magindat and everyone else. Gordon is says truck carpet not trunk. :bop: I do not need to take the whole thing out because it is only coming out on my drivers side is it is totally out. I can out glue on the other side of the carpet and even if the other carpet goes down it will not go down enough to annoy me because the truck has dual moon roofs.... so there isn't a lot of carpet to move down, plus the rear top just comes off and has no carpet on it at all.

When I repaint it later this year I'll have it all taken care of, right now I just wanna get by without the tacks. :)

Breadfan
01-14-2008, 11:32 AM
It may be hard to repair becuase it'll most likely need to stretch to reglue without creases. In addition the foam underneath is most likely dry rotted and will crumble away from the board - which is why the fabric fell in the first place.

What hasn't fallen yet is probably just about too so even if you refoam the fallen portion when you pull it you may pull the non-fallen part loose.

It's probably worth a shot if you're gonna redo it later, just beware it may be tough to get it right, if you don't mind a few creases you can probably cut a small access hole in the fallen portion, spray some glue and carefully clue to the headliner panel.

The materials cost should be well under $100, maybe less than $50. The labor to repair it is probably just a few minutes less than re-doing it with new fabric. So...you may find it's just easier to slap new fabric up on the whole thing!

Honestly this is one of those jobs that isn't too hard and you feel good about when it's done, plus you'll learn how the interior of your truck is assembled. Could be a fun learning experience with nice looking results!

Pops
01-14-2008, 11:32 AM
You can get the Leopard shin from your girl friends drawer!

fastblackmerc
01-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Or maybe just her drawers!

Breadfan
01-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Well...it's a full size truck, keep that in mind!

Haggis
01-14-2008, 11:46 AM

Or maybe just her drawers!

Well...it's a full size truck, keep that in mind!

Dominic has a big g/f.

Motorhead350
01-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Dominic has a big g/f.

Never had one.

hot-rauder
01-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Never had one.

:up:Good for you:up:

lmao:rofl:

Dragcity
01-14-2008, 12:38 PM
C'mon you guys...

What ever happened to Duct Tape ??

Reminds me of a Buzzcocks song "Whatever Happend To"

Haggis
01-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Never had one.

Now that I believe.

Breadfan
01-14-2008, 12:50 PM
C'mon you guys...

What ever happened to Duct Tape ??

Reminds me of a Buzzcocks song "Whatever Happend To"

The Handy-Man's secret weapon

Cordoba1
01-14-2008, 01:28 PM
3M Spray-able "90" WILL work. http://www.3mestore.com/3m-hi-strength-90-spray-adhesive.html Their other product, "77", would probably work.

Both should be easily obtainable at any big-box hardware or supply store

TCBO1
01-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks Magindat and everyone else. Gordon is says truck carpet not trunk. :bop: I do not need to take the whole thing out because it is only coming out on my drivers side is it is totally out. I can out glue on the other side of the carpet and even if the other carpet goes down it will not go down enough to annoy me because the truck has dual moon roofs.... so there isn't a lot of carpet to move down, plus the rear top just comes off and has no carpet on it at all.

When I repaint it later this year I'll have it all taken care of, right now I just wanna get by without the tacks. :)

Try taking super glue and a hypodermic needle? shoot the glue in thru the needle and smooth out as you apply it? Might work? Never tried it...

Natalie

Breadfan
01-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Try taking super glue and a hypodermic needle? shoot the glue in thru the needle and smooth out as you apply it? Might work? Never tried it...

Natalie

The problem will be the fabric in this case. It would hold but the fabric is porous and therefore the glue would seep through the material leaving nasty glue marks on the visible side.

Thats why you use the 3M spray adhesive letting it get nice and tacky (partially dry) before adhering the fabric that way the glue doesn't seep through the fabric.

Motorhead350
01-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Great advice and thank you for the info on the spray and hey Gordon believes me! Joe I prefer "What Do I Get?" but I must look into that other song!

magindat
01-15-2008, 05:57 AM
3M Spray-able "90" WILL work. http://www.3mestore.com/3m-hi-strength-90-spray-adhesive.html Their other product, "77", would probably work.

Both should be easily obtainable at any big-box hardware or supply store

77 won't last past the first 3 sunny and hot days of summer.

Been doin this 20 years....

magindat
01-15-2008, 05:59 AM

Natalie

Cyanoacrylate will soak through the liner and wit will 'wick the glue away from the substrate resulting in no bond and a hard spot on the outside of the liner.

A rubber-based cement is needed.

magindat
01-15-2008, 05:59 AM
Thats why you use the 3M spray adhesive letting it get nice and tacky (partially dry) before adhering the fabric that way the glue doesn't seep through the fabric.

Bingo 7890

Motorhead350
01-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Cool. Luckly I haven't got anything yet. Thanks for catching that!