PDA

View Full Version : New Vehicle Marketing (Import vs. Domestic)

Breadfan
01-14-2008, 02:22 PM
So the other day I was watching TV, and I started thinking about something I've pondered in the past. It's in regards to new car commercials, and the big difference between import vs. domestic commericals.

In a way, you can almost draw lines between the types of commercials a car company runs and how their sales are doing.

I think it's a valid statement to say that in some ways the marketing department (and perhaps to more of an extent the upper management) is responsible for many of the slow sales domestic makers are seeing. I mean really, we've got some great cars that stack up well against imports...

I think a big disparity in terms of marketing approach is between Ford and many import makers.

Most import car makers feature adds that do one of the following:

1.) Show close up artsy shots with "smooth" music to show how beuatiful their cars are

2.) Show big time action shots of cars doing burnouts, racing around a track, or powering through a city to show the performance and "fun to drive aspect"

3.) Show ball bearings rolling on the body seams, crash avoidance, or tout reliability ratings, to show the quality of the car.

On the other hand, some of Ford's recent commericals include:

1.) Corporate guy puts his suit on a scarecrow, and acts like he's cool. Fake peel out noises then ensue in addition to a sped up tape to make it look like his MK-Z is a hot rod.

2.) Lady talks about how she hasn't run a marathon, then gets out of her MK-Z with a prosthetic leg and starts running. Much kudos to her for overcoming her disabilities and her struggle, but is this an inspirational commerical or a car commercial?

3.) "Family" drives around in their Freestyle all day having fun and then they drop Dad off at his apartment, because he's divorced. I learned more about this dudes visitation rights than I did about the Freestyle.

Ford isn't the only domestic maker doing this. Other types of domestic ads focus on marketing statements that sound like "Hey look we actaully made a good car this time!"

For instance...

Chevy: New Malibu ads go on and on about how "Hey you might actually want to look at this one!"

Chrysler: OK fine you won't look at me, well, LIFETIME WARRANTY!!! HAHA HOW ABOUT THAT???

One of the few domestic car makers who is getting it right is Cadillac, who's new ads are finally getting away from "Look at us now please forget the Cimmaron!" and featuring some speed scenes and artsy shots.

But even they fall short, as they are letting the drivers in the cars talk. It's quite annoying to have to listen to someone go on about how they were annoyed that their last gifts were a pool table, hot tub, and big screen TV and thank God my significant other got it right and bought me an Escalade!

Seriously the average Joe isn't going to be connecting with that statement. The average Joe might like the Escalade though and your fancy financing arrangments might appeal to Joe.

'Course, that sounds like a BMW or Audi ad, "Our cars are fast and pretty, you'll look cool, and we offer good financing. Come and get it!"

So, perhaps if domestic makers took a page from these marketing ideas for selling cars, rather than featuring folk's life stories, perhaps they'd sell more cars...

BUCKWHEAT
01-14-2008, 02:46 PM
You are burdened with way too much common sense and good judgement to make it in marketing.

Raudermaster
01-14-2008, 02:54 PM
I think most of the average American's just see, "Hey! That's a really cool looking car and has some decent power, maybe I'll go test drive one." No one other than people who actually care about cars and how they work, would ever make a connection.

Joe Walsh
01-14-2008, 03:05 PM
So the other day I was watching TV, and I started thinking about something I've pondered in the past. It's in regards to new car commercials, and the big difference between import vs. domestic commericals.

2.) Lady talks about how she hasn't run a marathon, then gets out of her MK-Z with a prosthetic leg and starts running. Much kudos to her for overcoming her disabilities and her struggle, but is this an inspirational commerical or a car commercial?

I was in a Ford Dealers Service department and saw a brochure for the Ford Explorer that showed a woman 'climber' 'rapelling' (being lowered) down a cliff face in her wheelchair!
My first thought was WTF!?
Nothing against the handicapped, but WHO is Ford trying to sell to???
There are a LOT more non-handicapped buyers than there are handicapped buyers.

3.) "Family" drives around in their Freestyle all day having fun and then they drop Dad off at his apartment, because he's divorced. I learned more about this dudes visitation rights than I did about the Freestyle.

I remember that stupid commercial...Let's make everyone feel uncomfortable & sad while watching a Ford commercial.
Pure Genius!

Bluerauder
01-14-2008, 03:05 PM

That was the most depressing advertisement for a car that I have ever seen. :( I am glad that commercial didn't come out until AFTER I bought our '06 Freestyle Limited. I love the Freestyle and bought it DESPITE FoMoCo lack of marketing and lame advertising.

I thought that a better ending to that commercial would be for Dad to hit the garage opener as the Freestyle turned the corner. Inside the garage would be a Shelby GT500 Mustang convertible with a 20-something blonde sitting in it. Much happier ending. :rofl:

Breadfan
01-14-2008, 03:11 PM

I thought that a better ending to that commercial would be for Dad to hit the garage opener as the Freestyle turned the corner. Inside the garage would be a Shelby 500 Mustang convertible with a 20-something blonde sitting in it. Much happier ending. :rofl:

Now that would be a great commercial!

On the same note, I just remembered seeing the newest Fusion ad during the playoff games this weekend. It featured the three types of Fusion drivers - of note was the first one who makes it to work on time every day by speeding recklessly through a residential neighborhood and nearly t-boning a garbage truck!

Maybe the sequel will show him coming home, using a street hockey game as a slalom course...

Joe Walsh
01-14-2008, 03:24 PM
On the same note, I just remembered seeing the newest Fusion ad during the playoff games this weekend. It featured the three types of Fusion drivers - of note was the first one who makes it to work on time every day by speeding recklessly through a residential neighborhood and nearly t-boning a garbage truck!
Maybe the sequel will show him coming home, using a street hockey game as a slalom course...

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw that commercial...What a great representation of a Ford Fusion driver:

Johnny Ricer driving like a friggin' maniac!

That ranks up there with the Lexus commercial where the two Lexus cars try to beat each other out of Manahattan while using the streets of New York as their own private rally course.

Aren Jay
01-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Ford does not sell cars.

They sell F150's.

Leadfoot281
01-14-2008, 05:18 PM
I couldn't agree more. These Ford ads really suck.

How about the one where that guy is taking his daughter to school, (or soccer practice.. whatever), and she asks him to drop her off a block away because she's embarrassed to be seen in an SUV?

He goes on to explain that it's an Escape Hybrid.

Had I told my Dad that I was embarrassed to be seen in his car/truck I would have been riding bike to school (after a very thorough a$$ chewing).

Peter
01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Still not as bad as the chevrolet aveo ads...

Raudermaster
01-14-2008, 06:12 PM
I'd rather watch the Ford commercials than ANY more of those lame Malibu ads. Those were pretty stupid and didn't have any good thoughts put into them. The one where they rob the bank. I thought, "Sweet! I can buy a Malibu and rob a bank and get away scott free." Do you know how many people probably tried that and failed? How about that STUPID woman who runs directly into the friggin car. Yea, that was hilarious the first time, but the 1842783th time it was pretty dumb.

Joe Walsh
01-14-2008, 06:19 PM
If they had any truth in advertising; all the actors in Toyota and Honda commercials would immediately fall asleep as soon as they saw the cars.

....:sleepy:.......:sleepy:... .....:sleepy:.........:sleepy: ..........:sleepy:

Aren Jay
01-14-2008, 11:14 PM
So how many of you saw the Tribeca (Subaru) ad. It had a Tribeca driving aorund and everything it passed shrivelled up and died. Turned to stone or rusted into nothing. The song Dust in the wind as it passes some SUV they turn to stone then dust blowing in the wind. It would have been a great ad except that the Tribeca was so ugly all I thought about was the Medusa. So I renamed it Medusa and the Nasioc Mods banned me.

I saw one recently in a parking lot and almost crashed my Marauder.