PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the Old.

Aren Jay
01-18-2008, 11:36 AM
I was just looking at some pictures of a 1966 Mustang and wondered if it would be possible, given all the safety requirements, to bring back the 1966 Mustang as a new 2009 Mustang?

It would require some crumple zone improvements, new steering wheel, headrests on the seats, airbags. But what else? Could you bring back a striped to the bones look and feel of the 1966 Mustang?

Zack
01-18-2008, 11:54 AM
I believe they brought it back in 2005. Wake up call!

arejayesss
01-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Could you bring back a striped to the bones look and feel of the 1966 Mustang?

Yes, actually you can still order them striped if you want.

O's Fan Rich
01-18-2008, 02:01 PM
there is a 65 FB sitting on a 2003 Cobra out there.
It was done very nice. 65 outside 03 inside.

RCSignals
01-18-2008, 04:44 PM
I believe they brought it back in 2005. Wake up call!

yup that's as close as it comes. No notch back though but who cares about that?

the 2010 Mustang will see a little freshening

SHERIFF
01-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Several years ago I suggested Dodge bring back the Charger in the original 1969/1970 look. It landed on deaf ears. Wasn't long after that though that Dodge did announce the new Challenger would take on the old appearance. Once they hit the market I think they will sell like hotcakes.

Raudermaster
01-18-2008, 05:17 PM
yup that's as close as it comes. No notch back though but who cares about that?

the 2010 Mustang will see a little freshening

Uh, I DO! I'm set on looking for a 'Notch, they're just pure sex.

RCSignals
01-18-2008, 05:54 PM

Yes, you'll have to find an old one.

I shouldn't tell you how many excellent notches I parted out to save convertibles and FBs. No one wanted notches, at least they weren't willing to pay many $ for them.

MADRODER
01-18-2008, 06:00 PM

I couldn't resist.......my other pride and joy, she's asleep till April

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x147/dday0644/90Notchcopy.png

Aren Jay
01-19-2008, 11:36 AM
A 2005 mustang is not a 1966 mustang. Not even close. It might have a plastic body that looks a little bit like a Boss but it is not.

I mean make an inexpensive, say $10K, Mustang. Interior like the 1966 Mustang. No electronic things. Radio, include FM and a ipod jack. a switch for your wipers, lights, key in dash, Lighter element and 12volt socket, Heater. No need for AC with the front a pillar windows, roll down windows with handles that crank the window up or down. Rear window the same. Headrest on the seats added. Interia locks added. No console. Just the Stick or Automatic gear selector poking through the carpet. Medal dash material. Metal glove box with cup holders, not meant to use when moving, although it might not be too hard to make it possible for moving use.

Fuel Oil Speedo amps and Temperture gauges. Blinkers and the floor parking brake. maybe add a hood release and gas cap lock release. The gas cap on the back in the centre, one that works. Or if safety mandates it have the centre cap act as a release for the side panel no cap gas thingy.

Bring back the magic, leave out the plastic and sell another million Mustangs.

RCSignals
01-20-2008, 03:00 AM
I couldn't resist.......my other pride and joy, she's asleep till April

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x147/dday0644/90Notchcopy.png

Except in the context of the thread I was referring to '65/'66 notch back coupes

RCSignals
01-20-2008, 03:06 AM
A 2005 mustang is not a 1966 mustang. Not even close. It might have a plastic body that looks a little bit like a Boss but it is not.

I mean make an inexpensive, say $10K, Mustang. Interior like the 1966 Mustang. No electronic things. Radio, include FM and a ipod jack. a switch for your wipers, lights, key in dash, Lighter element and 12volt socket, Heater. No need for AC with the front a pillar windows, roll down windows with handles that crank the window up or down. Rear window the same. Headrest on the seats added. Interia locks added. No console. Just the Stick or Automatic gear selector poking through the carpet. Medal dash material. Metal glove box with cup holders, not meant to use when moving, although it might not be too hard to make it possible for moving use.

Fuel Oil Speedo amps and Temperture gauges. Blinkers and the floor parking brake. maybe add a hood release and gas cap lock release. The gas cap on the back in the centre, one that works. Or if safety mandates it have the centre cap act as a release for the side panel no cap gas thingy.

Bring back the magic, leave out the plastic and sell another million Mustangs.

Government regulation would pretty much prevent manufacturers from building the '65/'66 Mustang today.

The base '65 Mustang was a little inline 6 3spd std, fixed front passenger seat, no radio, no hood springs, 13" wheels and skinny tires, and the convertible version had a manual top.
I've only ever seen one absolute bare bone '65 Mustang convertible.
Few were sold like that, but they were cheap.
I doubt anyone would buy a Mustang stripped like that today