PDA

View Full Version : Speed Limiting Question

Dragcity
01-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Any of you Ford Techs know if the equipment available at a dealership, in the hands of a qualified tech, can limit the speed via EEC to say 70 MPH on my Sable?

I know it's a silly Q?, but my Son will be driving soon.

I know we can do it with our tuning software and handhelds, but what can the dealers do with what they have?

arejayesss
01-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Maybe install a dead pedal underneath the go pedal about halfway down;)

Motorhead350
01-23-2008, 12:06 PM
There is a device for this, but I don't think you have to deal with Ford.

Cordoba1
01-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Awww -- Let him learn like we all did! I say: No electronic nannies!

Dragcity
01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I have decided my investment in his development has been to great to jeopordize. Plus, it's my Wife's car. She would kill me if he wrecks it....

Oh, and he ain't gettin' the Marauder - EVER. (unless I croak)

Bluerauder
01-23-2008, 01:18 PM
JMHO. I disagree with the limiter approach altogether. You can still mess up alot of things at 70 MPH including more than JUST a car. Same for 65, 60, 55, 50 .... you get the picture. You gotta trust the boy and lay out some ground rules -- add some known facts and some statistics about the number of young people who end up in cemeteries each year due to foolishness on the highways. Be a Dad -- tell him what you expect ... and then hope that the lessons he's learned from you over the past 16+ years have sunk in. You will worry when he's out late. You'll feel "relieved" when he comes in 10-15 minutes late. Let him know you were worried.

My son can drive my Marauder any time he wants .... as long as he returns it with a full tank of gas. I may be very trusting ... but I'm not a fool. :rofl:

Good luck with your son ..... he won't disappoint you. :up:

magindat
01-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Maybe install a dead pedal underneath the go pedal about halfway down;)

UNSAFE:nono:

arejayesss
01-23-2008, 01:25 PM
UNSAFE:nono:

I wasn't bein' fur real

magindat
01-23-2008, 01:30 PM
I'd go with a throttle stop before anything else. That would limit not only the top speed by limiting RPM in gear, but also would limit hard take off's and mat mashing.

Sometimes, it is necessary to mash it to avoid collision. In a FWD car, often mashing is better than braking in situations. I agree with the above, but from a safety aspect. Governors and restrictors are unsafe IMO.

If you wanna know about his whereabouts and driving, may I suggest getting him a shiny new cell phone with GPS and the service that allows you to track it. OR Put any of a number of satellite tracking devices available on the car.

The above options will not inhibit safety, nor the wife's driving, nor be anything she has to trouble to remove or remember to put back.

I believe after some time of tracking, your mind will be at ease, you will become complacent with his good behavior and you'll let this whole worrisome episode go away....

A quick search turns up this site: http://www.pimall.com/nais/tracking.html

Dragcity
01-24-2008, 11:04 AM
So,

Am I to assume a Ford tech at a dealership does not have the capability of electronically limiting the speed to 70 MPH ????

Egon Spengler
01-24-2008, 03:13 PM
We all have to keep in mind here that we are talking about a sable... Not the most powerful vehicle ever made... I had a car like that when I was 16 and it was hard to get that thing to do stupid things and believe me I tried... I think you are ok with a front wheel drive sable... a rear wheel drive like the marauder is easy to do brake stands etc. with and he might get into trouble like I used to but I never wrecked... If he seems to be a kid that has a good head on his shoulders I wouldn't worry too much... GOODLUCK!!:beer:
(probably not the right character to be using when talking about driving)

Aren Jay
01-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Why not limit him to 30 MPH if you don't trust him.

Come on, you need to trust the kid. If he wrecks the car he gets a job and doesn't drive till he can afford to buy his own car. In a year or two he will be a man, what are you going to do then?

VAmarauder03
01-24-2008, 10:10 PM
no you cannot limit the speed with the equipment at ford dealers....

Dragcity
01-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Thank you.....

vkirkend
01-25-2008, 11:28 AM
If you want to see what he does add the GPS tracking software to the vehicle and them you will know where he goes and how fast he does it....

Stangracer89
01-25-2008, 11:59 AM
My first car was a very worn out 67 Impala w/327. You could not even powerbrake this car. My father, in his infinite wisdom, decided to disconnect the passing gear linkage (w/o my knowledge). While driving home from work on a two lane hi-way I went to pass and amish buggy. I pulled out and floored it expecting to go. I did not, as a result I ran an on coming car into a ditch and almost killed a horse. DO NOT SCREW AROUND WITH A CARS PERFORMANCE! I know you want to keep your kid safe, so do I, but you could do more damage than good. I hope this helps. And I agree, my kid can have my Marauder when he pulls my cold dead fingers from the wheel.