PDA

View Full Version : New Job Opportunity

NATEHAWK
01-23-2008, 06:06 PM
This is the situation. Im working for a good company i just started this job in Nov...I old manager from a former job works for another company that is a real good company as well. I have pretty much made my mind up that im going with the new offer from the company that my old boss works for they are giving me a $4 raise plus more vacation and benefits are pretty much the same. Im just trying to figure out how should i brake it to my new boss because he in a pretty good guy but I cant pass up this opportunity to do a job i really want to do plus get paid more and with all the perks. So how should I break it to him? I think im going to just tell him i appreciate the opportunity to work here but prior to applying to your company i had applied at another where I really want to work for what they had to offer me and it just took longer than aspected for the job to open up. I just got the offer the other day and I had to made a decision. Any thing else i should add, delete, or wha?

KillJoy
01-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Turn in your 2 week notice.

If he asks any Q's, tell him you got an offer elsewhere for $4 / hr, + more vacay and benefits. Ask if he will match. If not.....

BUH BYE!

:up:

KillJoy

NATEHAWK
01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm going to just tell him Feb 1st will be my last day that's almost 2 weeks. I don't even want them to offer me anything I work harder there I'm going somewhere I won't get dirty anymore nor work as hard.

KillJoy
01-23-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm going to just tell him Feb 1st will be my last day that's almost 2 weeks. I don't even want them to offer me anything I work harder there I'm going somewhere I won't get dirty anymore nor work as hard.

Then why bother????

If he asks, tell him you were offered a better position with more $$$.

< / conversation >
</CONVERSATION>

KillJoy

NATEHAWK
01-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Yup you right

DOOM
01-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey nate congrats on the new job. More money for modding. As if you REALLY need it :D

NATEHAWK
01-23-2008, 07:54 PM
hell yea gotta few more hp's to get lol

Mad1
01-24-2008, 05:58 AM
I waited until I had an offer letter in hand, BEFORE I turned in my notice. I still gave them exactly 2 weeks and finished my current project, because it never hurts to leave them with a smile. (i.e. Burning bridges is never a good idea.)

I was up front with the current boss that it was an opportunity I was not able to turn down. ($10,000 raise, more benefits, pension, etc.) He was disappointed, but understanding of my position. I did not use it as a bargaining tool, but that's just me.

Don't feel bad about it either. If you haven't been there more than 6 months, you're probably still a probationary employee. That "break-in" period works both ways ... you and the employer are trying to decide if the job is right for "BOTH" of you.

Jeremy
Mad1

magindat
01-24-2008, 05:58 AM
Nate,
Always be as professional as possible when leaving any employer. You never know what the future holds. You could run across this guy 10 years from now and REALLY need a job. Best to never burn any bridges if at all possible.
If it were me, I'd write a short sweet resignation letter thanking the Co. and the boss for the opportunity. State you liked it there. State you received an offer that better suits your lifestyle/family/career goals. Thank again. Sign it.
That letter will end up in your personnel file. No matter then, how anyone feels personally about it, your professionalism is on record.
Good luck, dude...
Wish I was having that trouble right now!!!
Rich

Bigdogjim
01-24-2008, 06:02 AM
Turn in your 2 week notice.

If he asks any Q's, tell him you got an offer elsewhere for $4 / hr, + more vacay and benefits. Ask if he will match. If not.....

BUH BYE!

:up:

KillJoy
This will do nothing. If you want to leave a job then go! More money and vacation will not help. It will only anger the Boss. Once you make up your mind to leave a job then give notice and walk. The fewer words said the better for all.

Haggis
01-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Look him in the face say, "See Ya!!!", and kick him square in the nuts. :eek:

jimlam56
01-24-2008, 07:15 AM
Nate,
Always be as professional as possible when leaving any employer. You never know what the future holds. You could run across this guy 10 years from now and REALLY need a job. Best to never burn any bridges if at all possible.
If it were me, I'd write a short sweet resignation letter thanking the Co. and the boss for the opportunity. State you liked it there. State you received an offer that better suits your lifestyle/family/career goals. Thank again. Sign it.
That letter will end up in your personnel file. No matter then, how anyone feels personally about it, your professionalism is on record.
Good luck, dude...
Wish I was having that trouble right now!!!
Rich

Still nothing happening eh Rich?
i just started looking myself and so far the pickins are slim...

Breadfan
01-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Rich gives some good advice.

I would not just turn in my two weeks notice and say bye bye. Especially if that job has been good to you. I do not recommend burning bridges. Even walking away from a bridge can cause it to fall, and as Rich states you never know what the future will hold. What if this new gig turns out to be a dud? Leave yourself a path back to where you are if you're happy.

Explain to your boss you've had a great time at your current gig, that you've enjoyed the oppurtunity and challenges it's provided. Let him know that another opportunity has presented itself and you've had to make a tough decision but you feel for your career and life you need to explore this new challenge.

In the end he may be upset to lose you but should understand where you're coming from, a good boss will be upset but happy for you at the same time.

And that door isn't shut should you need (or want) to go back someday.

arejayesss
01-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Hopefully he's not a member of MM.net, although then I guess you wouldn't have to say anything else;)

Paul T. Casey
01-24-2008, 08:49 AM

I like this idea.

jdando
01-24-2008, 09:00 AM
congratulations on the job offer.

What to tell the old boss. Give him two weeks. (take any extra time for yourself, it might be nice to have a few days to do errands). Thank him for the opportunity. Tell him you are moving to a position that better meets your career needs/goals. Offer him your cell/home phone if he needs to get a hold of you.

If your industry is anything like mine you will work with him or someone that knows him in the future. No need to leave him with a bad taste in his mouth.

NATEHAWK
01-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Rich gives some good advice.

I would not just turn in my two weeks notice and say bye bye. Especially if that job has been good to you. I do not recommend burning bridges. Even walking away from a bridge can cause it to fall, and as Rich states you never know what the future will hold. What if this new gig turns out to be a dud? Leave yourself a path back to where you are if you're happy.

Explain to your boss you've had a great time at your current gig, that you've enjoyed the oppurtunity and challenges it's provided. Let him know that another opportunity has presented itself and you've had to make a tough decision but you feel for your career and life you need to explore this new challenge.

In the end he may be upset to lose you but should understand where you're coming from, a good boss will be upset but happy for you at the same time.

And that door isn't shut should you need (or want) to go back someday.

You and Rich made a good point. I always give a resignation letter. I won't beable to hang around to finish this project it won't be complete till march. I'm going to call him today I'm a fire alarm tech I never really go to the main office. Then I will follow up with a email with my resignation letter.

NATEHAWK
01-24-2008, 09:19 AM
congratulations on the job offer.

What to tell the old boss. Give him two weeks. (take any extra time for yourself, it might be nice to have a few days to do errands). Thank him for the opportunity. Tell him you are moving to a position that better meets your career needs/goals. Offer him your cell/home phone if he needs to get a hold of you.

If your industry is anything like mine you will work with him or someone that knows him in the future. No need to leave him with a bad taste in his mouth.

Only thing the other job needs me to start right away so they need me to start Feb 4th so the best I can do is give him my notice today. I just came to my conclusion yesterday.

Bluerauder
01-24-2008, 09:26 AM
I do not recommend burning bridges.
In the US Army, I sometimes had to build bridges. Sometimes I had to blow them up. Blowing them up was more fun !!! :D

NATEHAWK -- whatever you decide in this -- remember to keep the "Long Term" in mind. The instant $4 raise now ... may not outweigh advancement potential in your current job. But the bottomline is that you have to be able to enjoy what you do.

As I was once told a long time ago .... the Key to Success is to find something that you REALLY LIKE to do, then find somebody to PAY YOU TO DO IT.

Mad1
01-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Is that the Scottish version of the "severance package?"

:hijack:

Remind me to fire you via text message. ;)

Jeremy
Mad1

NATEHAWK
01-24-2008, 12:53 PM
You are 100% right you gotta enjoy your job to be happy and im a service tech who is use to doing service not brand new construction at the new National Harbor site. I got thrown on this job and lied to about what I was going to be doing at the job. I only been at this company for 2 months and that left a bad taste in my mouth. Also I don't see advancement guys that been here for 10 years still were they are but the new company I will be working indoors and doing only the work I like service and programming of fire alarm systems. I wanted to give them a 2 week notice but work conditions are unbarable for me lol too damn cold outside to be working in new construction. Im calling my manager soon as i leave to tell him. Its not a full 2 weeks but 9 days thou. I have a great situation im going into. Plus tye people there im friends with alot of them. Thanks foe the support guys.

Haggis
01-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Is that the Scottish version of the "severance package?"

:hijack:

Remind me to fire you via text message. ;)

Jeremy
Mad1

No, that is my version of; "Don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya."

NATEHAWK
01-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks everyone for your input my manager even tried to offer me more money for me to stay. He was very encouraging about my outlook on things but still told me if things dont work out even 9 months down the road i can come back and work there no problem.

KillJoy
01-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks everyone for your input my manager even tried to offer me more money for me to stay. He was very encouraging about my outlook on things but still told me if things dont work out even 9 months down the road i can come back and work there no problem.

That's good to hear!

:beer:

KillJoy

Haggis
01-28-2008, 05:49 AM

DAMN!!! No nut kicking this time. :alone:

jgc61sr2002
01-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Nate - Congrats and Good luck with your new position.:D

NATEHAWK
01-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Nate - Congrats and Good luck with your new position.:D

Thanks man