PDA

View Full Version : Where to retire?

JonW
01-27-2008, 09:23 PM
The SO and I are starting to talk about retirement, which will be coming up in a few years. She wants to move to Albuquerque, and that's not bad, I suppose. My requirements are:

1) Low humidity
2) Lots of car stuff
3) No snow or ice

Does such a place exist?

RCSignals
01-27-2008, 11:08 PM
the list sounds good to me.

What about somewhere in Nevada?

Aren Jay
01-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Las Vegas is a great place. Cars Cars Cars and something new to go and see everyday. Plus all the shows of the Big Cities, without the big city traffic problems.

Shopping
cars
no humidity
Secret agents and stuff, in real.
UFO's.
etc...

New mexico is good but Nevada is better.

ROB502
01-28-2008, 04:55 AM
Nevada is a good choice. No bugs either. :cool4:

Mike Poore
01-28-2008, 05:00 AM
Also, consider taxes.

Is there a state income tax on retirement income?
Do seniors get exemptions on real estate taxes, especially school taxes?
Is it a rapidly growing area (read higher school taxes, expanding infrastructure)
Be careful about choosing an area where you may not be able to afford to live in the future.
Is there a rapidly expanding illegal immigrant population?
Is there a Wal-Mart near by?
Is there a good trap range near by? ;)
I know folks from this area who chose Arizona.

SID210SA
01-28-2008, 06:18 AM
The SO and I are starting to talk about retirement, which will be coming up in a few years. She wants to move to Albuquerque, and that's not bad, I suppose. My requirements are:

1) Low humidity
2) Lots of car stuff
3) No snow or ice

Does such a place exist?

San Antonio, Tx

1) Not too bad....only 2 1/2 hours away from the coast...1 hour or less from a beautiful lake...
2) We have car shows every weekend!! (as long as it doesnt rain too much)
3) No Snow and if there is ice it happens once every 8 years or so and even then maybe only 2 or 3 days out of the season.....

Also, consider taxes.

Is there a state income tax on retirement income? No State Income Tax
Do seniors get exemptions on real estate taxes, especially school taxes? Dont Know
Is it a rapidly growing area (read higher school taxes, expanding infrastructure) Every place is Growing!!!
Be careful about choosing an area where you may not be able to afford to live in the future. Cost of living has not risen very much in several years...only the price of Gas!!!
Is there a rapidly expanding illegal immigrant population? Under Control.....
Is there a Wal-Mart near by? We must have about 60 Here!!
Is there a good trap range near by? ;) Several Ranges all over town
I know folks from this area who chose Arizona.And we have a hadfull of Marauder owners and a hand full of state wide events thru the year!!!

Cobra25
01-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Well all I can say is Florida. (Humidity) : Well 7-8 months a year are great, Not too bad.( Lot's of car stuff) : Most likely more than anywhere else .( No show or ice) : Well I guess I don't have to say anything about that.

Marylandrauder
01-28-2008, 02:15 PM
;)Ashville, North Carolina.

Tom Doan
01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Nevada= no water
The Wall Street Journal had the very question last week and the map they put together helped some of my friends decide where to get away from me and you. Tom

Pat
01-28-2008, 03:43 PM
My brother just moved to a retirement community in Greenvalley Arizona, that's just above the border town of Nogales. He rides a little motorbike everywhere. Expensive.

As posted above watch for taxes and retirement income exemptions.
NW Louisiana meets all your requirements except humidity, but you can buy those little hats with a tiny battery operated fan. At your age it won't look silly.

ParkRanger
01-28-2008, 05:22 PM

1) Low humidity
2) Lots of car stuff
3) No snow or ice

Does such a place exist?

My doctor said that if you make it to 65 you have a better than 80% chance to make it to 90. What are you going to do for 30 years???
I'm thinking it may be better to keep pumping for a while longer. Buy more cars that way!

PR :burnout:

Tom Doan
01-29-2008, 06:30 AM
Green Valley is the spot, has it's own WATER! that can't be sucked up by Tucson. Wildlife out the rear end, the dangerous types, felt like I was on the inside of a giant zoo. Figured out why Uncle Jack has a gun handy, If you feel like something is watching you, it probability is. Tom

BUCKWHEAT
01-29-2008, 02:41 PM

1) Low humidity
2) Lots of car stuff
3) No snow or ice

Does such a place exist?

Jon, I am considering the same question. We like DFW area of Texas. Not near as humid as Houston or San Antone. Have an active MM group & a decent supporting dealer.

Phoenix is a disaster for 3 to 4 months a year, 114 degrees last July for my son's wedding.

Another choice is Charlottesville, VA. Four mild seasons & beautiful scenery in the Shennendoah valley. Not near as much to do as DFW however.

Keep us informed as to what you pick.

2,4shofast
01-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Arizona or Nevada
1) Low humidity
2) Lots of car stuff
3) No snow or ice

oldekid
01-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Florida will get you 2 out of 3. Humidity is a problem, but you can drink year round.

No snow (extremely rare), and lots of car stuff, but during the summer months (approximately 6 or more), humidity is a big problem.

But, as I said before, you can drink year round.

:beer:

quota
01-29-2008, 08:49 PM
In North America, I would consider Charlestown (SC). Good food, nice people and atmosphere, super roads and fairly nice weather.
In the "world", I would think about Victoria, Seychelles. A far away paradise, but a paradise. I went there twice. I refrained going a third time as I would probably have stayed.

JP

1stMerc
01-29-2008, 09:33 PM
My problem would be finding some place that stayed 75* all year round, but up to 80 when i want to go swimming.

JonW, good luck in your search.

How'd you and Buckwheat like that 58* temperature drop brrrrrr

sailsmen
01-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Try Hawaii.

I plan on working until I can't any more. I like what I do.

SHERIFF
01-30-2008, 06:15 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona.

Get a job at Barrett-Jackson. You'll love it!

Ms. Denmark
02-03-2008, 02:15 PM
California's central coast has great weather,beautiful coastline,vineyards,great college town like San Louis Obispo,and driving distance to the Sierra Navada Mountains for camping, skiing.And there's alot of car stuff to do. Pismo Beach has a big classic car show every Father's Day weekend. No bugs and no humidity. Check it out!

BAD MERC
02-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I am retiring to mexico. I figure there will be a population of 18 by the time I retire.

rumble
02-03-2008, 06:28 PM
T

1) Low humidity
2) Lots of car stuff
3) No snow or ice

Does such a place exist?

Well here's something to think about........

Dallas TX, (North Central Texas)

Humidity is definitely lower than SW. MO

Lots and lots and lots of car stuff
Dragstrips, Nascar, Texas Motor Ranch and on and on

Not much snow or ice, Maybe every few years and then maybe once or so that year.

Low cost of living

Metro area near with every thing to do.....

NO STATE INCOME TAX!!!!

Their ya go.......