PDA

View Full Version : Titles

TCBO1
01-28-2008, 08:39 AM
I had a 64 1/2 Mustang that did not have a title... pretty much needed a full (body off) new panels etc... restoration. Anyways, if I had decided to keep and work on it, anyone have any ideas on how to get a title for it? A customer of mine told me that because it is so old the mva doesn't care. They will just make one up... don't need anything but a reciept showing that I bought the car from someone. But, how could one "own" or sell a vehicle that doesn't have a title.
I also heard that if it is a track only car that it wouldn't need a title?

I'd like to one day get my basket case back... even if it is just a lawn ornament.. It was built April 28th 1964, had the 289, Auto trans. Not the pretty Hi-Po motor though.would it be worth putting the money into other than just for my happiness in having a 64 1/2 Mustang?

Natalie

Mike Poore
01-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Natalie, it changes from state, but in PA all you need is a clear photo of the door tag and a bill of sale. If you have an old title, transferred, or not, that's a lot of help. Sometimes they issue a re-construction title. My advice is, though, do not spend a single cent on it, until you have a clear title in your hands. Also, keep in mind that anyone can make a new door tag and many titles/cars have been switched along with the stamp under the hood getting changed. I'd guess there are many more "K" serial numbers stamped on that fender flat than were ever produced, especially in the early 65's. ;)

Aren Jay
01-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Is that a Vin #? My guess is that like a Kit Car you can have a new Vin # assigned to you if need be.

UncleLar
01-28-2008, 01:55 PM
There are some outfits in Alabama I believe that specialize in providing legal titles. If you get a copy of Cars and Parts magazine they regularly advertise in there. If you go thru your state DMV you're going to have all kinds of headaches . If you're really cheap or can't find a copy someone here may have a current issue or your local library may have one.

chasrein01
01-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Contact your MVA. Here in Mich., if you have a receipt (incorrect title), they give you a form to fill out, have the police verify VIN and do a records check, if it comes back clear, they issue the title. If you don't have a receipt (incorrect title), you can still get one if you get a court order giving you ownership, a surety bond for "twice the market value" and will be returned if no claims (on the car) are filed during the following 3 year period, or another form showing ownership. The forms are fairly simple, and most police agencies are familiar with the forms. I have had to have a couple titles fixed because of: letters where numbers should be, or even completely wrong sequence. It really is easy.

RCSignals
01-28-2008, 03:36 PM
You can have a search done on the VIN and get the last owners name and last address. (unless you already have this) Send a Registered return receipt letter asking them to sign a transfer paper. When it comes back undeliverable (which it likely will) take it, unopened, to the DMV along with the Bill of Sale from the person you purchased the car.

A 641/2 with a 289 may not have been a Hiperformance version but should have been a 4bbl. The 260 filled the place of the 2bbl V8 until later when it was dropped for a 2bbl 289.