PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Wrangler as a plow truck?

Leadfoot281
01-30-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm looking at a '99 Jeep Wrangler ( 70k mile. 4.0, auto) It's triple black with hard top, soft top, and bikini top.

The dealer is asking $9,500 but that is negotiable.

The reasons I'm looking at this rig are;

1. Jeep Wranglers have excellent re-sale.
2. Huge aftermarket.
3. The 4.0 six is bullet proof.
4. 4x4 dailly driver for winter.
5. 4x2 convertable for the summer.
6. Possible use as a plow rig.

Would this work OK as a plow truck? I'd prefer a Rubicon but they are way out of my price range.

Raudermaster
01-30-2008, 08:09 PM
I have seen some setup for plows, but I've never seen one plow. I've seen old CJ's plow but those things are tanks.

da'law
01-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Go to this website should help you decide if you want to put a plow on your Jeep

www.snoway.com (http://www.snoway.com)

n00bkiller944
01-30-2008, 08:39 PM
We have a '91 in our auto tech class with a plow on it and it seems to do fine... a little top heavy if you hit the brakes too hard but it does well from what i hear.... Just replaced the carb

Raudermaster
01-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Snoway's are awful..

Rocknthehawk
01-30-2008, 10:37 PM
We put one on a rubicon last year....it's rediculous. It's got the bigger motor in it, and it can barely move out of it's own way. I could only imagine that poor motor pushing the plow. It's scary watching the guy drive it...short wheel base and heavy front? it's like a badly weighted forklift.

Leadfoot281
01-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Snoway's are awful..

Really? Got any experiance with them? I see the only one offered by Snoway (for the Jeep) is made of polycarbonate. I'm not too sure about a poly blade, especially for the areas I need to clean. They claim it weighs 300 lbs.

I guess that rules out my auto-x plans. :depress:

Thanks for the link Da'law! The local dealer for Snoway is also a Jeep dealership. Maybe they have one I can test drive.

Marauderjack
01-31-2008, 04:51 AM
I'm looking at a '99 Jeep Wrangler ( 70k mile. 4.0, auto) It's triple black with hard top, soft top, and bikini top.

The dealer is asking $9,500 but that is negotiable.

The reasons I'm looking at this rig are;

1. Jeep Wranglers have excellent re-sale.
2. Huge aftermarket.
3. The 4.0 six is bullet proof.
4. 4x4 dailly driver for winter.
5. 4x2 convertable for the summer.
6. Possible use as a plow rig.

Would this work OK as a plow truck? I'd prefer a Rubicon but they are way out of my price range.

Whatcha plowin' boy??:confused:

Down here we use tractors!!:eek::cool::D

ROB502
01-31-2008, 05:03 AM
I love my Jeep TJ. But I fear there is not enough weight to be a plow.:cool:

Mike Poore
01-31-2008, 05:13 AM
John, don't you have a bucket on your tractor? I'm no fan of Jeeps, seen too many fools have 'em in 4WD in areas where it's not required and swap ends. Supposedly the front and rear mismatch with gear sets "wind up", and they end up in the median.

ahess77
01-31-2008, 05:27 AM
Snoway's are awful..

<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p>I take exception to that, I have a Snoway model 29 on my GMC 2500HD and it's only problem is that the wireless remote is finicky on batteries. Mine has the polycarbonate blade and I’ve hit rocks, poles, and even plowed gravel driveways in the summer, on purpose, and haven’t cracked or damaged the blade.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If you get a snoway I do not recommend the wireless remote, go with the wired. <o:p></o:p>
As far as plowing with a Wrangler it depends on what you’re doing. If you get a small blade (like a 12”) and don’t plan to push snow drifts as high as your Jeep, it will work. I live in Detroit and we barely get enough snow to plow and I’ve seen a Wrangler with front and back blades make quick work of a parking lot. My truck is terrible for parking lot plow work because it’s way too long. But, if you’re trying to keep a road clear in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/ /><st1:City w:st=<st1:place w:st=" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Wisconsin</st1:State></st1:place>, a Wrangler is way too light to push 30” of snow.
Good Luck. Buy a snowblower and a Corvette.<o:p></o:p>
</o:p>

rayjay
01-31-2008, 09:03 AM
One of my co workers uses his Jeep for plowing. He says the short wheel base works out well for the 4-5 residential driveways he has to do. I believe he also uses the lightweight plastic blade.

Leadfoot281
01-31-2008, 05:22 PM
John, don't you have a bucket on your tractor? I'm no fan of Jeeps, seen too many fools have 'em in 4WD in areas where it's not required and swap ends. Supposedly the front and rear mismatch with gear sets "wind up", and they end up in the median.

I do but I'm just getting whimpy. My loader tractor is a '68 John Deere 4020. There's no cab, it's a diesel and two wheel drive. That makes it hard to start, very cold, and just plain scary on my steep driveway.

I've been driving big a$$ rear wheel drive cars in the winter since I got my licence. I've seen Jeeps and other 4x4s in the ditch many, many times. One thing they never see is me in the ditch!

I drove the Jeep today and LOVED it. The power is excellent. I just don't think I want a black one on this gravel road.

Got to make up my mind fast though, I lost both drive and OD in the CV today. :bigcry:

Aren Jay
02-01-2008, 01:26 AM
This is better:

http://inlinethumb32.webshots.com/37471/1014491810000999477S600x600Q85 .jpg

Leadfoot281
02-01-2008, 04:10 PM
LMAO!

You're giving me ideas now. With the CV down for the count, (I've only got first gear), I have to buy something locally. Very locally. :(

That leaves one of just 14 cars in town. The Jeep is $9,500 and there is a '96 Cadillac Devile for $4,900. The other cars are over priced junk.

I wonder how a NorthStar powered, front drive V8 Caddy will push snow...

This seasons cabin fever is just getting worse.

n00bkiller944
02-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Go for the caddy... do you really need a plow? lol