PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to redo a seat?

Motorhead350
02-02-2008, 02:54 PM
My 65 Chevy is almost ready to hit the road locally and the bench seat is just a mess. It has a seat cover on it and it's all there, but it needs new padding and new apholstry too. I have found a direct replacement for both from LMC Truck, but my question is how hard is this to do? Do I need to sew anything in place, do I need to glue the padding, is this going to get messy?

I'd rather find a seat outta a Suburban from a junkyard, but the original seat fits like a charm and I don't think I wanna replace it anymore. Has anyone ever had to restore a bench seat? :help:

Aren Jay
02-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Pull it out and take it to an Upholstery place.

Get it done right the first time around.

Tell them how much you want to spend and either have them sell you the stuff to do it yourself or have them do it right.

Motorhead350
02-02-2008, 03:10 PM
I want to build the truck myself with no help from labor costs unless it's brakes. I'll redo this one or replace it with a junkyard special. I wanna know how hard it is to redo this one.

jgc61sr2002
02-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Pull it out and take it to an Upholstery place.

Get it done right the first time around.

Tell them how much you want to spend and either have them sell you the stuff to do it yourself or have them do it right.

What he said.^^^^^^

Aren Jay
02-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Go buy the foam and the fabric, cut and sew it up in the right way and you are set. If you can't sew and still don't want anyone else to do it for you, you can try a seat cover with a few blocks of foam. Doesn't look nice and will not be complimented. But you say you did it yourself.

UncleLar
02-02-2008, 07:51 PM
"I have found a direct replacement for both from LMC Truck, but my question is how hard is this to do? Do I need to sew anything in place, do I need to glue the padding, is this going to get messy?"
If you haven't ordered the stuff yet give then a call first and ask if they include instructions on how to R&R the covers and padding. Most likely they'll supply foam padding and should include instructions or will be able to direct you to a site that'll tell you how to do the job.