PDA

View Full Version : 375 HP Hyundai!!!

CRZYBIKER
02-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Anyone else see this Super B commercial?
http://www.myspace.com/superbowlads#

RUSTY
02-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Yes, I saw. Man Do I feel like we are being left behind.

CRZYBIKER
02-03-2008, 10:13 PM
DAMMIT!!!!.....Well, I guess I will get one since my arm has been twisted.

offroadkarter
02-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Saw that....

Korean car, yawn :sleepy:

DOOM
02-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Which is why i said im getting my TRILOGY and 4.10's. No way in hell would i ever let a hyundai blow my doors off. TRILOGY coming in april and then its on :gunfire: :uzi: fried rice anyone??? :hotrice:

CRZYBIKER
02-03-2008, 10:35 PM
BIG HP...got me.......doh!

Raudermaster
02-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Saw that....

Korean car, yawn :sleepy:

Ha, you laugh at them. My g/f has an '04 Sorento and that thing is built excellent. I used to laugh, but I advise go test drive one. It will smoke my Marauder off the line that's for sure.

crabby125
02-03-2008, 10:57 PM
I give a lot of credit to Hyundai for what they are doing. I like it, I like it alot. here are more pics with some interior shots http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-genesis.html

TiTo35
02-03-2008, 11:12 PM
If you talking about that Genesis...Its a decent car...Saw it at the car show and was interested why Hyundai was still in business...LOL. They made that car to compete with BMWs and Mercedes...Believe it! For the fraction of the price. The practical car....Ahaaaa

UncleLar
02-03-2008, 11:15 PM
The 4.6 V8 is supercharged,not a miracle motor,dohc,4 valve. 375 HP,333ftlbs torque at unstated rpms. Standard engine is a V6. It is RWD though. Engineer states 0-60 in under 6 seconds.
Butt fugly grille and lots of electronics to go haywire and drive you nuts.
Probably $40K or more with the V8 and fancy stereo and what not.
Watch the video on the right side.
http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/

crabby125
02-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Where does it say its supercharged??

I been serching google and that link you posted and I dont see anything stating its Supercharged.

Cordoba1
02-04-2008, 12:05 AM
What Hyundai has done with both their products and image is nothing short of spectacular. Their product quality has gone from miserable (some insurance companies would not insure a Hyundai in the past), to quite good. My brother inherited a Hyundai in a divorce... He hates to drive it, but it gets better mileage than his pickup truck, and it has thus far made zero visits to the dealer for repair.

It'll be worth cross-shopping if you're in the market for a 4 door, rear drive, V8-powered sedan as my sources tell me it'll be priced in the low 30's.

The most recent issue of Autoweek shows a few different front-grill designs -- those issues are still being tweaked..

UncleLar
02-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Look at the link I posted,when the Korean engineer comes on they show a cutaway shot of the engine,pause it and you'll see what sure appears to be a roots type blower atop it.At first I thought it may have been a manifold but if you look closely there sure seems to be a drive pulley for the blower.

Bluerauder
02-04-2008, 04:57 AM
It is still a Hyundai. :rolleyes:

The car is offered with a choice of three powertrains, including 3.3-liter and 3.8-liter V6 engines, and Hyundai's all-new 4.6-liter Tau V8. Tau will produce an estimated 368 horsepower. For the V8 model, the sprint to 60 mph takes less than 6 seconds.

I keep hearing 375 HP; but the quote above ^^^ says 368 HP. I suspect that they will sell mostly 3.3L and 3.8L models. Even if it is fast, it is still a Hyundai and it is still ugly. No thanks. :P

MarauderMark
02-04-2008, 05:46 AM
I thought it looked pretty good and 375 from Hyundai thats something in itself.:up:

gmtech
02-04-2008, 06:09 AM
i work at a hyundai dealer and their vehicles have evolved in the last 3 years..nice cars but still FWD econo boxes..i can say this : the GM dealer i work at has had Hyundai for 12 years now and they aint going nowhere...also i became a Hyundai Gold Technician 1.5 yrs ago and last year i made 50k working on the cars(my 5th year as a tech)...id say my work load is now 85% Hyundai & 15% GM

Wires
02-04-2008, 06:59 AM
i work at a hyundai dealer and their vehicles have evolved in the last 3 years..nice cars but still FWD econo boxes..

This one's correct wheel drive. No manual transmission, though.

I hope Ford offers a manual trans in their Rear Wheel Drive Panther replacement, but I'm not holding my breath.

Marylandrauder
02-04-2008, 08:01 AM
;)I drove the Azera many times-very nice car for not much $ and loaded with features. Then I went to Florida in my wife's Monte Carlo and on the way(doing 78mph) I saw a BMW coming up doing over 100. As he sped off, here comes an Azera doing 110-120 and blows him off the fast lane. The BMW slowed enough to let me catch him-he looked like that "other" team that lost to THE GIANTS !!:beer:

Cordoba1
02-04-2008, 08:31 AM
I hope Ford offers a manual trans in their Rear Wheel Drive Panther replacement, but I'm not holding my breath.

That's good, because you'd suffocate. At the moment, there is no replacement for the Panther platform!

Hyundai filling a product gap, perhaps?

Hotrauder
02-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I think the interior is great looking, they seem to be doing a great job of copying right down to the WTF button on the console:rolleyes: I also have been fooled the past couple of years by cars that looked a lot like higher end cars than the Hyundai they turned out to be. If you cannot innovate at least copy what is perceived to be the best. Bought a $25.00 Rolex lately? Dennis

Leadfoot281
02-04-2008, 02:29 PM
In a couple years you should be able to get a used one for less than $4,000. A year after that they should be just about free.

Hyundai has everything figured out except re-sale value.

not5-0
02-04-2008, 04:32 PM
BUY AMERICAN !!:soap:

Aren Jay
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
It is going to come with a sunroof, I'm not going to fit in it and I'm not going to care.

I do think as we will need to keep up that we should all be Trilogized or Have Dennis Vortech us or have our cars keep F.I.T. Then we will not need to worry about the slow Hyundai that is the blue/black/silver/green speck behind us.

Lexus on the other hand needs to worry.

sailsmen
02-04-2008, 07:26 PM
I rented a Sorento w/ 20K on it. It had the slotted +/- Shifter.

After driving it for 3 days the trans started leaking.

It was ok. Can't compare to the wife's Pilot, but neither does the price.

crabby125
02-05-2008, 12:06 AM
In a couple years you should be able to get a used one for less than $4,000. A year after that they should be just about free.

Hyundai has everything figured out except re-sale value.

So their re-sale values are just like our panthers.

Shora
02-05-2008, 01:23 AM
What does Ford have that competes? Please, don't hold back and feel free to use all three Ford/ Lincoln/ Mercury. My brother who's Marauder was totaled last year was forced to buy a 2008 Sable because he wanted to support the American Auto Workers. It is not a bad car but by no means can compete with this Hyundai. Nothing Ford makes these days competes.

Do not mention the "Interceptor Concept" since that is a no go.

So before you diss this Korean auto maker please explain what your beloved Ford Motor Company produces that competes?

Ford is only making commuter cars that are "trying" to compete with Honda and Toyota.

-Milan/ Fusion: "compete with" Civic/ Corolla

-Sable/ Taurus: "compete with" Accord/ Camry

All of these cars are wrong wheel drive and are basic commuter cars.

Hyundai, on the other hand, is attempting to compete with the rear wheel drive Germans. At least they set their goals high while Ford is going backwards and is making some of the most boring cars (one of the most boring 2008 line up available IMO).

Hyundai is giving a better warranty then any of these auto makers and just introduced a full size, rear wheel drive, luxury sedan that will leave a Marauder in the dust in interior room, power, and warranty. Please visit a Hyundai dealer see the fit and finish first hand before you mention that as an argument.

This post is written by one who has nine (9) Ford currently in the family. I hope they wake up if it's not too late already.

Shora
02-05-2008, 01:33 AM
The 4.6 V8 is supercharged,not a miracle motor,dohc,4 valve. 375 HP,333ftlbs torque at unstated rpms. Standard engine is a V6. It is RWD though. Engineer states 0-60 in under 6 seconds.
Butt fugly grille and lots of electronics to go haywire and drive you nuts.
Probably $40K or more with the V8 and fancy stereo and what not.
Watch the video on the right side.
http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/

Where does it say its supercharged??

I been serching google and that link you posted and I dont see anything stating its Supercharged.

Look at the link I posted,when the Korean engineer comes on they show a cutaway shot of the engine,pause it and you'll see what sure appears to be a roots type blower atop it.At first I thought it may have been a manifold but if you look closely there sure seems to be a drive pulley for the blower.

Under Specs it says:

Engine: 4.6L with dual CVVT

I think it would mention a S/Cer. It is something to be proud of and wouldn't be hidden.

crabby125
02-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Very well said Shora,

It seems that for some people If its not RWD, V8, and FORD, its garbage. I used to be this way until I owned my Mitsubishi eclipse, I had that car for 7 years with no problems whatsoever. I have owned my Crown Vic for 1 year. My battery died, the car is squeaking when i drive down the highway and when im idling the Revs go down as if the car is shut off. Where is the pather reliability I was expecting??

The closest Ford product to the Genesis would be the upcoming MKS. IMO the Genesis looks waay better than the MKS.

Now will the Genesis be Perfect? I personally don't think so but I feel they are on the right track.

I need to correct you on two things Shora,

The Milan/Fusion: "compete with" the Pre 2008 Accord/ and Camry
the Sable and Taurus "Compete with" the Avalon/ 08+ Accord
The Focus "Competes with" the Civic/Corolla

Leadfoot281
02-05-2008, 02:20 AM
So their re-sale values are just like our panthers.

Your car is going down in value?! That's weird, mines actually increasing.

Don't believe me? Try and buy it. Betcha can't do it. :P

Shora
02-05-2008, 02:37 AM
Very well said Shora,

It seems that for some people If its not RWD, V8, and FORD, its garbage. I used to be this way until I owned my Mitsubishi eclipse, I had that car for 7 years with no problems whatsoever. I have owned my Crown Vic for 1 year. My battery died, the car is squeaking when i drive down the highway and when im idling the Revs go down as if the car is shut off. Where is the pather reliability I was expecting??

The closest Ford product to the Genesis would be the upcoming MKS. IMO the Genesis looks waay better than the MKS.

Now will the Genesis be Perfect? I personally don't think so but I feel they are on the right track.

I need to correct you on two things Shora,

The Milan/Fusion: "compete with" the Pre 2008 Accord/ and Camry
the Sable and Taurus "Compete with" the Avalon/ 08+ Accord
The Focus "Competes with" the Civic/Corolla

I too like the MKS but it is just basically a Sable/ Taurus with a few (very few) tweaks and a 15-20K+ price hike. Also, it is a FWD (wrong wheel drive) so again it can never compete with the new Hyundai. Even the AWD is basied on the FWD MKS and will still be a pain in the ass to work on in any manner because the engine and transmission are so packed together.

Also, the MKS starts at 38K and jumps in price greatly with the options. At 38K you will have a LOADED Hyundai with RWD, more HP, that I bet will be faster/ handle better, and comes with a better warranty.

Lastly, you are indeed correct with the corrections you made in my comparisions and I know that Ford intends them to compete how you stated but in my experience, they compete how I stated in the real world.

No Camry buyer will even consider a Milan/ Fusion but a Civic/ Corolla owner would. The size is close and the price is about the same.

sailsmen
02-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Ford owns other brands that will "compete" with the Hyndai.

When the Hyndais first came out my impression was they were using 2 gen old powertrains. All they had to offer was a lower price.

Much like when Datsun and Toyota first became popular in the US. All they had to offer was better fuel economy and that is what the public wanted.

When fuel economy was no longer an issue they offered better quality and that is what the public wanted.

What will Hyndai offer that is better that the consumer wants? I believe price.

The cost of a new car has escalated to the point that the public wants a better price with out giving anything up as in value. If Hyndai is able to do this they will be the next Toyota.

The next mfg to sucessfully implement the TATA concept, design build as a whole and not a spagetti of parts, will then be the next Hyndai.:D

crabby125
02-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Your car is going down in value?! That's weird, mines actually increasing.

Don't believe me? Try and buy it. Betcha can't do it. :P

Well im talking about the majority of panthers.

you can get a $45,000 lincoln for around $20k to $25k used a year later. thats horrible (I still think the LTC is overpriced to begin with but thats another topic)

not5-0
02-05-2008, 05:38 PM
I am one of the few people left that believes in Ford and GM and actually think they are going in the right direction. I have seen quality improve with each subsequent car I've owned, unfortunately it has become fashionable to drive foreign vehicles and that will be the demise of the domestic automakers. I will never buy a foreign car regardless of what argument is presented. I respect a persons right to spend their money how they choose but strongly believe in the need to buy American because it's the right thing to do.

BAD MERC
02-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Ha, you laugh at them. My g/f has an '04 Sorento and that thing is built excellent. I used to laugh, but I advise go test drive one. It will smoke my Marauder off the line that's for sure.

Hey, my Mom has a silver 2004 Sorento too. What a great SUV! Perfect size, tight ride, great seats and feels new even at 58,000 miles. I JUST did struts and shocks and will do a timing belt at the next oil change, 10 year/100,000 mile warranty - I don't laugh at Hyundais and KIA's at all. They are a serious contendor.

ImpalaSlayer
02-05-2008, 08:16 PM
looks alright. definity a sleeper

Leadfoot281
02-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Well im talking about the majority of panthers.

you can get a $45,000 lincoln for around $20k to $25k used a year later. thats horrible (I still think the LTC is overpriced to begin with but thats another topic)

The Lincoln is NOT a panther chassis car.

Resale value on expensive luxury cars is almost always poor. The typical buyer for a high end car wants a new one. They can swing the payments and don't have time to search around for a good used one.

Case in point. My Dad's 1999 Buick Park Avenue sold at aution in 2001 with just 1,700 miles for $20k. He paid 36k. The 20k selling price actually out bid the car dealers that were there. Some one had to go take out a loan for it.

I've seen used 100k mile panther chassis cop cars go for (what I consider to be) huge money. While there are many nice, used CVPI's out there, some have been run through ditches, been in high speed pursuits, have sat idling for hours, and are drilled full of holes, inside and out. They've gotton quicky re-sprays and will still bring $6,000+. This on a car that wasn't much more than $18,000 new.

Show me a Hyundai that can do that. Your average new Hyundai buyer is upside down a month after buying it.

I'd sure like to see any statistics on Panther chassis resale values. I firmly believe that they do really well in comparison to most other cars.

Cordoba1
02-05-2008, 11:25 PM

The Lincoln Town Car most certainly IS a panther chassis car!!!

Vehicles that have used the Panther platform include:

Lincoln Continental Mark VI (1980–1983)
Ford Crown Victoria (1992–Present)
Ford LTD (1979–1982)
Ford LTD Crown Victoria (1983–1991)
Mercury Grand Marquis (1983–Present)
Mercury Marauder (2003–2004)
Mercury Marquis (1979–1982)
Lincoln Town Car (1981–Present)
The Aston Martin Lagonda Vignale concept of 1995 also used a modified Panther platform.

crabby125
02-09-2008, 07:21 AM

Resale value on expensive luxury cars is almost always poor. The typical buyer for a high end car wants a new one. They can swing the payments and don't have time to search around for a good used one.

Case in point. My Dad's 1999 Buick Park Avenue sold at aution in 2001 with just 1,700 miles for $20k. He paid 36k. The 20k selling price actually out bid the car dealers that were there. Some one had to go take out a loan for it.

I've seen used 100k mile panther chassis cop cars go for (what I consider to be) huge money. While there are many nice, used CVPI's out there, some have been run through ditches, been in high speed pursuits, have sat idling for hours, and are drilled full of holes, inside and out. They've gotton quicky re-sprays and will still bring $6,000+. This on a car that wasn't much more than $18,000 new.

Show me a Hyundai that can do that. Your average new Hyundai buyer is upside down a month after buying it.

I'd sure like to see any statistics on Panther chassis resale values. I firmly believe that they do really well in comparison to most other cars.

A new Panther owner is also upside down after buying it too.
Consider this, a CV in LX trim cost anywhere between 26 to 30k new, You can get one a few months to year old for half the cost of new. My LX is a perfect example. In Feb of 07, I bought a 2006LX for $13k with only 10k miles on the odo. THATS A 50% drop in price for a slightly used panther.

A panther used is a great deal its a lot of car for the money. I honestly do not see a Hyundai Flagship model dropping 50% in its first year of being used. Yeah, It is going to be cheaper than the competition, (honda, toyota) but not as low as panthers get.

I Dont have any stats, but if you want just check Autotrader.com and look up the prices on a 2007 panther. and just for laughs, check for prices on Hyundai's current flagship model, the 2007 Azera. The MSRP's are pretty much the same.

03slickvic
02-09-2008, 07:31 AM
ewwww! i got hyundai on my hands! gross!

crabby125
02-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Quick, get the anti bacterial hand sanitizer. LOL