PDA

View Full Version : Need new engine

Motorhead350
02-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Not the Marauder, the 65 Chevy. Just had someone look at it and it has water in the oil, something I should have noticed before the purchase. :shake: I have two options... I found someone who wants it or I can look for a new engine. Do you guys know of a site where I can find a good junkyard engine? A 350 or 305 will do, I don't care how much horsepower is has or lacks... just something that runs with a carb.

Raudermaster
02-05-2008, 12:41 PM
www.car-part.com (http://www.car-part.com)

Drop a 6.0l in it! Or find a wrecked Vette.

UncleLar
02-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Forget the 305,go with a 350 and try for one with a 4bbl carb.The older vans and trucks had them and they were 4 bolt mains,good for building up the motor in the future when it's time for a rebuild.Try to find one that's still in the vehicle and running so you can hear it run and if possible do a compression check. Water in the oil will make the oil look like a milkshake.That could be caused by anything from a leaking head gasket to a cracked head or block. BEFORE you replace your motor pull your plugs one at a time and mark which cylinder they came out of and have someone who can read plugs look at them,also do a compression test while the plugs are out.Between the two they should give you a decent idea what shape your engine is in and if it's worth repairing.But get an experienced guy to give you a hand,not Joe Butt Scratcher from down the street who thinks putting an R decal on his ricer gives it twenty more horsepower.
You're in for a real learning experience with your truck,a lot of us out here learned by throwing wrenches at our old beaters 'cause we couldn't afford anything else or to pay a real mechanic to work on them.
Do yourself a favor though,only tear apart and repair one system at a time,if you rip apart the whole truck odds are you'll soon lose track of what you're doing and be in over your head eventually becoming disgusted and frustrated and finally scrapping the truck. Being organized as you start working on it and disassembling things will help you immensely.
You've got friends out here who are willing to offer you tips and advise and probably a helping hand so don't be afraid to ask us.There's nothing to be ashamed of by asking questions,not one single one of us was born a top fuel or NASCAR or certified mechanic.

Zack
02-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Change the oil and re-evaluate after 3000 miles.
If it is still doing it, pour some Stop leak in there and it may very well go away.

Breadfan
02-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Change the oil and re-evaluate after 3000 miles.
If it is still doing it, pour some Stop leak in there and it may very well go away.

Not a bad suggestion, you never know how long it's been sitting or what the previous owner may have done.

If it's bad why not get a rebuild kit and do the motor yourself? Worst case you blow it up and you're out the rebuild kit, a few tools, and a rebuild book.

Chevy small blocks are everywhere, you'll probably want to nab the #'s off the block and see if you can find one in a junkyard that'll fit the intake/carb you have.

Betcha you can get a running motor dirt cheap.

Don't bother with a 305, not a bad engine but down on power and they don't make much up with performance upgrades. 350's are gonna be easy (if not easier) to find so stick with those unless someone gives you a free 305 that bolts up.

dreydin
02-05-2008, 01:05 PM
go with a LS1 hehehe

Motorhead350
02-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I cannot afford an LS1 or wrecked Vette engine, but that would be cool. On the other hand it would be a mess because I would need to do a few more upgrades to make a 400hp engine function without breaking anything. If I had to dump more money into the Marauder after adding a blower imagine what I'll have to do to something 43 years old that probably never had more than 200hp in it's life. Just checking the gaskets might not be such a bad idea and replacing them is cheap too.

What I am really worried about is that water might have been in the engine for a while and the internals might be rusted by now. The owner before me told me he bought it last aug with intention to restore, but never did anything with it. So it sat for months with water in it, this is where I see the need for a replacement engine, but hey might as well check it out first.

Vortech347
02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
That dosn't mean you need a new engine.

It could be something as simple an an intake gasket leak. Even head gaskets would be cake on an old school pushrod car. Fix it yourself. Pushrods are so easy a caveman can do it.

Egon Spengler
02-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Rip the motor out and rebuild a 427 big block and do it up right... bore it out, have it balanced and bluprinted.. etc... make it bad a$$

Zack
02-05-2008, 01:45 PM
That dosn't mean you need a new engine.

It could be something as simple an an intake gasket leak. Even head gaskets would be cake on an old school pushrod car. Fix it yourself. Pushrods are so easy a caveman can do it.

God its been 10 years since I last changed an old school intake.

Dominick, this is sound advice.
They leak at the corners. Spend the 20 bucks on gaskets and silicone and Id bet the problem will be solved.

Motorhead350
02-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Ok sounds good, might as well check the plugs too.