PDA

View Full Version : Quit trying to be cool!!!

Motorhead350
02-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't know how many of you will understand this, but here it goes. There is a band called The Foo Fighters who are actually pretty cool to me, but they did something a few months ago that really ticks me off. They covered a song by a band called Dead Kennedys a few months ago and I finally found footage. The singer is the guy from System Of A Down who stepped in for this cover and not only did they mess up on how long to wait for another verse or screwing up the intro by cutting out the mean opening guitar riff, but everyone in the audience is just trying to dig it.

If they were music fans (the audience) they would know the song by heart and probably be lip singing. Dave seems to know the song better than anyone and is leading the band (because it's his band dua) but seems to be the only one who knows what to do. It's a shame that these are the guys who get the deals and screw everything up and some group of teenagers are trying to be cool or as they call it hip, by pretending to dig a song they never heard before. If they knew what the song was about, it's nothing to smile about.

Frickin' people! :mad2: Ok I'm done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUJrt6E6ki0&feature=related

P.S. notice the sheet music! No one knows how to remember how to play a song or take on the responsibility!!!!

freakstatus
02-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Wow, that song brings me back (Holiday in Cambodia). Jello Biafra. I think I was 14. Lux Interior and the Cramps too...Do you remember a band called Suicidal Tendencies? Yes, I was a skater in high school....1984-88.

Motorhead350
02-10-2008, 11:32 PM
I love The CRAMPS!!! Suicidal Tendencies had an awesome first album and a few other cool songs too. I can skate, but can't do any tricks... just ride like Marty McFly. :D

offroadkarter
02-10-2008, 11:46 PM
So your pissed at the audience or at serj?

Mike Poore
02-11-2008, 04:37 AM
Good lord! You mean there are actually "musicians" these days who read sheet music? All those guys needed was four cords. BTW, the only lyric I heard was Pol Pot, Pol Pot, Pol Pot, which one might assume was reference to a huge doober, somewhere, and not the murderer of 1,000,000 + innocents.

John, you need this trip to Loosville!

magindat
02-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Luckily, My 14 yr old daughter discovered my music when she was very young and has really gotten into it. DK made some cool songs that are still anthem worthy today (wish someone would do a good cover of B!tchin' Camaro).

I haven't herad the Foo Fighters version and probly never will since I don't really care for them.

BTW, what's a Foo and why are they Fighting it?

bob6364
02-11-2008, 06:05 AM
heh, I thought they did a nice job of playing the song in their OWN way,if you are looking at the girls in the audience they are out of it,most of the guys diggit .Finding a true freeky girl that digs that kinda music and isn't just playing a game to find a wild man to bring home to mom and dad is tuff I remember sitting in my car just outside of the crowd at UCONN campass listening to the Ramones playing KKK (Al Sharpton edit) when a pretty girl all sweaty from "dancing her ass" off says "can we go for a ride I need to cool off " well what could I say :D the rest is history 28 years later shes upstairs rallying the kids for school.
I'm not sure how these folks are "supposed to act" I'm not sure I know how I'm supposed to act and at 22 I'm not sure how you know your supposed to act,Dead Kennedy's,Sex Pistols, Ramones,oh yeah a True actor of songs loves all song so when I didn't goto see them I saw...hehe.. Fleetwood Mac ,ELO and many others,my only regreat was being born 10 years to late to truely enjoy the 60's but the 70's where fun to,...now where did I place my Purple Cords :P

TooManyFords
02-11-2008, 07:04 AM
Covers by successful bands are not meant to sound exactly like the original, they leave that up to start-up bands so the crowds will think they know how to play music.

Look at Pinball Wizard by the Who. I would argue that Elton John did it much better for the movie than the Who ever did, but that is my opinion.

What was the song Guns-n-Roses covered? That was better too!

John

sailsmen
02-11-2008, 07:55 AM
It's entertainment. Try and pretend its somethingelse and you will always be disappointed.

ParkRanger
02-11-2008, 10:56 AM
There is a band called The Foo Fighters who are actually pretty cool to me,
Frickin' people! :mad2: Ok I'm done.

They sounded terrible at the Grammies!

RF Overlord
02-11-2008, 11:04 AM
BTW, what's a Foo and why are they Fighting it?The term foo fighter was used by Allied aircraft pilots in World War II to describe various UFOs or mysterious aerial phenomena seen in the skies over Europe and the Pacific theatre. Contemporary witnesses often assumed that the foo fighters were secret weapons employed by the enemy, and it was not until after the war that it was discovered neither side had anything to do with them. Despite these fears, foo fighters (whatever they might have been) were apparently never reported to have harmed or tried to harm anyone. Though usually thought of as blobs of light or fire, several different types of reported phenomena were classified as "foo fighters".

SID210SA
02-11-2008, 11:16 AM
and it a pretty hard song to play for me on GH3!!!

bob6364
02-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Look at Pinball Wizard by the Who. I would argue that Elton John did it much better for the movie than the Who ever did, but that is my opinion.

John
I was a WHO junkie for the longest time but I absolutely agree with you that Elton's version is better,just like Chili Peppers's version of Higher Ground is better then Steve's and Steve ain't no slouch :D IMHO

Motorhead350
02-12-2008, 11:07 AM
DK made some cool songs that are still anthem worthy today (wish someone would do a good cover of B!tchin' Camaro).

That was the Dead Milkmen, not the Dead Kennedys. Still an awesome song though. Dead Kennedys are a good band to listen to for this day and age if you ask me.

CRUZTAKER
02-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Dom....when you get as big, popular, and rich as Serge or any of the Foo Fighters...you may have a complaint.

Their many many other superb accomplishments outway and blur a one time cover funny.

You should not critique others that may critue you some day. ;)

Motorhead350
02-12-2008, 11:06 PM
You should not critique others that may critue you some day. ;)

So be it, I can learn from it. ;)