PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun shipping

Motorhead350
02-12-2008, 11:28 PM
I was given a shotgun this weekend by an uncle of mine and I have no way to get it back to Chicago. I know a few of you are into these things and I was wondering how you get a shotgun to your house. UPS might do it because it is about 50 years old and FedEx said no way, but I could pack it up and not tell them what it is. I do not have a case for it, a permit or anything. The last resort would be boxing it up and telling FedEx it is metal for the steering of my truck...

How is this done the right way? :help:

Marauderjack
02-13-2008, 04:07 AM
Only "Legal" way is to have a FFL dealer ship it via UPS to a FFL dealer in Chicago and you pick it from them.....probably $50.00 on each end!!:argue:

Otherwise get someone to drive it to you??:confused:

Good Luck!

Marauderjack:burnout:

Mike Poore
02-13-2008, 04:32 AM
You can send it by USPS with no worries, I do it all the time. It is NOT a sale transaction and there has been no dealer involved. It's your property and you can ship it to yourself anywhere in the USA. Trap shooters and hunters do it all the time when they want to avoid hassles at airports, or don't want to worry with packing gun cases. Don't use UPS because those idiots at the Mail Room places don't know what the hell they're talking about. Have him properly pack it, in a cardboard container, or two, if the gun can be broken down, such as a Remington 870, and make two trips to the post office if he has concern about it, because then, you haven't shipped a complete firearm. Don't make a fuss about there being a gun in the box, or say anything about it to the clerk behind the counter. Just go about your business quietly, and you'll have no worries. PM me if you need a proper shipping box, and I'll send one to your uncle. Tell him to properly insure it.

The big thing here is, IT'S YOUR PROPERTY, AND HE'S SENDING/RETURNING IT TO YOU.

Dragcity
02-13-2008, 07:56 AM
I am not sure of IL gun laws, but most of the funky gun laws are for handguns. Long guns, Shotguns and rifles, are a different breed. Usually don't even need a permit to own them....? Check your local laws. If you need a permit for it, then it will have to go through a licenced fire arms dealer from where it is, to your area.

I had my Brother in California send 8 handguns to me here in NY. I had to have him drop them off to a dealer in CA and have them shipped to a dealer in my town. Cost a few bucks, but was leagal, safe, insured and properly registered. Any other way in NYS with handguns is a crime.

Check out DHL as well. USPS doesn't want to touch it, I can guarantee that.

UncleLar
02-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Do you have an Illinois FOID card?(Firearms Owners ID).
If not,you better get one first and leave the scattergun where it's at until you've got one.

A simple call to ATF should get you the info you need to get the gun to you legally,ask them if they'd be so kind as to send you a copy of the ATF rules/laws and if possible with sections concerning the transfer you'd like to make highlighted if possible.If you talk nice to them they're usually pretty decent people who would like to help you do things legally.You don't want any Federal felony charges brought down on you for a "simple mistake"!
Don't ask your local cops as the vast majority of them really don't know what the laws are,no offense to them,but it's the truth.Example,my attorney was a former Superintendant of the Chicago Police and I had to show him the gun laws and regs in print!

Motorhead350
02-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Looks like the only choice is to wrap it up myself and ship it. Handguns are totally illegal in Chicago, except the cops can have them. I need to get this done today so I better find a few boxes and wrap this myself. I will not mention it's a gun reguardless of it's age. I'll look into USPS too. Thanks everyone.

Ralph Sr.
02-13-2008, 11:33 AM
best place for this transaction,is a police station. first go in buyer,seller,no weapsons,.they will run serial numbers, and both ids, when this is done ,exchange will take place,legally!!! another place is a home. you do not want to know, how i know this. will tell the rest of the story at carlisle june 7, my brother tom, daughter,etc. what a nice group, we had there last year. miss handling mm, have 2008 ss impala v8. not a bad car. ralph sr.

PSG
02-13-2008, 03:39 PM
just throw it over your shoulder and walk right in to the post office and ask, i bet you wont even have to wait in line lol.

DJCV
02-13-2008, 03:44 PM
You can send it by USPS with no worries, I do it all the time. It is NOT a sale transaction and there has been no dealer involved. It's your property and you can ship it to yourself anywhere in the USA. Trap shooters and hunters do it all the time when they want to avoid hassles at airports, or don't want to worry with packing gun cases. Don't use UPS because those idiots at the Mail Room places don't know what the hell they're talking about. Have him properly pack it, in a cardboard container, or two, if the gun can be broken down, such as a Remington 870, and make two trips to the post office if he has concern about it, because then, you haven't shipped a complete firearm. Don't make a fuss about there being a gun in the box, or say anything about it to the clerk behind the counter. Just go about your business quietly, and you'll have no worries. PM me if you need a proper shipping box, and I'll send one to your uncle. Tell him to properly insure it.

The big thing here is, IT'S YOUR PROPERTY, AND HE'S SENDING/RETURNING IT TO YOU.

This is correct.

shawn.criswell
02-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Follow link for IL state laws

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/ILSL.pdf

POSSESSION
It is unlawful to possess any firearm or ammunition without a valid FOID.
It is unlawful to possess any rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

sailsmen
02-13-2008, 07:19 PM
The Founding Fathers are turning in their graves.

Hard to believe when I was a child I could buy guns thru the mail and I brought guns to school on several occasions.

I know so many people in New Orleans who were staunch anti-gun before Katrina and are now pro gun.

When resources are stretched the line between civilization and anarchy is thin.

Here is a new photo of the Mayor and Police Chief of N.O. This is the Mayor that ordered police to go into peoples homes and steal their guns after Katrina. Then refused a court order to return the guns, including contempt of court.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/6/7/2/Nakin.jpg

03mara300b
02-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Also Only the police and criminals, dont forget the bad guys, have hand guns in Chicago. The law abiding have been disarmed by the powers that be.You do not need to defend yourself or family. You can use hash language, that might be ok in Chicago.

Motorhead350
02-14-2008, 06:54 PM
haha your right. ;)

Ross
02-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I have a couple of cases going on in Illinois. I'm amazed at the differences in attitude between the liberals in Chicago and the conservatives elsewhere in the state. In southern Illinois I saw a sign in a guy's yard that said:

Criminals are many
Cops are few.
Criminals have guns
Why can't I have one, too?