PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Mark VIII

Blanco_Diablo
02-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi all! I'm new here. Don't own a Marauder but my dad (Jimlam56) does. Currently I have a 2000 SVT Contour that I'm trying to sell so I can buy myself a Lincoln Mark VIII. I'm thinking I want a 1997, or possibly earlier, but not past '97. Where's a good place to look for one? I've been watching Ebay and it seems like the prices stay around $3500-4000, but it's kinda hard to find just what I want. (May be kinda dumb, but the only color that I'm interested in is black). Also, what kind of things should I look for when looking at Mark VIII's? I've heard some of them had problems with the air ride suspension? Is there anything else to look for that is particular to Mark VIII's?

Thanks in advance and any pointers/tips are greatly appreciated!

-Jeff

ts-pa
02-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Might want to send Dennis Reinhart (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=46)a PM or email. He is pretty big on the Mark VIII's at one time. Still owns one too.

magindat
02-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi all! I'm new here. Don't own a Marauder but my dad (Jimlam56) does. Currently I have a 2000 SVT Contour that I'm trying to sell so I can buy myself a Lincoln Mark VIII. I'm thinking I want a 1997, or possibly earlier, but not past '97. Where's a good place to look for one? I've been watching Ebay and it seems like the prices stay around $3500-4000, but it's kinda hard to find just what I want. (May be kinda dumb, but the only color that I'm interested in is black). Also, what kind of things should I look for when looking at Mark VIII's? I've heard some of them had problems with the air ride suspension? Is there anything else to look for that is particular to Mark VIII's?

Thanks in advance and any pointers/tips are greatly appreciated!

-Jeff

Hey Jeff. Who cares what color it is? Take it to Mills_Marauder and get it painted!

BLACKMARAUDER04
02-14-2008, 02:30 PM
I Had A 2004 Black Mark Viii. I Had One Recurring Problem. The Camshaft Sensor( Pick One ) Would Go Bad Causing A $125+ Repair
Everytime It Happend. This Must Have Happened 8 Different Times
In My Ownership.

Blanco_Diablo
02-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey Jeff. Who cares what color it is? Take it to Mills_Marauder and get it painted!
How much would that be, though? I've heard a quality paintjob is quite expensive.

I Had A 2004 Black Mark Viii. I Had One Recurring Problem. The Camshaft Sensor( Pick One ) Would Go Bad Causing A $125+ Repair
Everytime It Happend. This Must Have Happened 8 Different Times
In My Ownership.
Did you ever figure out what caused this?

offroadkarter
02-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I Had A 2004 Black Mark Viii.

Err, didnt they stop making them in 98? :confused:

I was looking at 97's and 98's today. Whats wrong with the 98's? :confused:

JMan
02-15-2008, 06:06 AM
Welcome aboard "White-devil"! Nice to hear from you! I hope everything's going well. Are you sure you want a black car up there? You want to make sure a Mark with a digital dash is in working order. Those were expensive when they were available. Air suspensions do fail but are available at least and really don't require a small ransom. The ones with HID lamps may be tough to get parts for as well.

Mark VIII's get the most unbelievable fuel economy on the highway. I know several people that get well in the thirties in miles per gallon on the highway. Best luck on your quest!

JMan

Aren Jay
02-15-2008, 02:31 PM
I found a great red LSC 98 locally and then I found out I don't fit inside of Mark VIII's.

I'm too Tall.

But then I have a Marauder so that is ok.

97 and 98 were basically the same. They were the improved version of the Mark VIII. Great cars with Marauder like Engines and 4 wheel independant suspensions. If I find one without a sunroof I might have another look but with the sunroof I just do not fit inside.

Blanco_Diablo
02-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Very sure I want black. I know it'll be harder to keep clean, but there's just nothing like a black car. My brother has a black Marauder and I just cant wait to see it sitting next to a black Mark VIII :D

So far, I should look to make sure the digital dash is working, and the air suspension?

Aren Jay
02-15-2008, 08:03 PM
You have sat in a Mark VIII have you?

They are not big cars, on the inside.

I think they were a great car and a real bargin if you can find the right one. The frist version had the great front end, but the second version was much improved.

Aren Jay
02-15-2008, 08:30 PM
On the other hand, why don't you just bite the bullet and get a Marauder.

A Mark VIII will be a high mileage car and you could just get a high Mileage Marauder instead.

This one: http://www.automart.com/vehicledetail/adid-78839996/?CMP+CAC-Vast&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=Vast/?CMP=AFC-VASTAtlanta&vst_cid=2031321611807082588668 4

Carfax checks out a good one owner Marauder.

This one I haven't checked out but others here can do that for you.

http://nissan.greggisaacsautopark.com/vehicle.asp?v=280666

Has been advertised for 167 days. That is almost half a year, they will be desperate to sell it. Offer them $8-9K and maybe they will jump at the chance to move the inventory.

Costs more but hey, you get a Marauder.

Two Marauders would look alot better sitting side by side than a Marauder and a Mark VIII.

Blanco_Diablo
02-16-2008, 05:44 AM
I'm about 5'10. I fit pretty well in a Contour, and I fit in my brother's 1997 Thunderbird, which I've been told has an interior very similar to the Mark VIII. I've looked inside a few Mark's but never sat in one, but I figure I'll fit pretty nicely.

And don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE a black Marauder, but after I sell my Contour, I'm gonna have about $4k. Would take me quite a while to save up another $4-5k. But it is definitely something to think about...

Blanco_Diablo
02-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Anything else, guys?

Aren Jay
02-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Didn't I respond with advice on a loan for improving your credit or something?

Maybe I posted it somewhere else.

hmmm....

SilverSport
02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Anything else, guys?

Go and lurk for a while at www.markviii.org (http://www.markviii.org) and learn of the many problems and expensive fixes of these cars before you buy one. I had a 98 for 9 months and dumped it before I had to spend the big bucks on it. For me, the two best days I had with the Mark was the day I bought it and the day I sold it. Sorry, I like my Crown Vic Sport much better.

djv5150
02-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Welcome aboard Jeff, I will keep an eye open in my travels. I almost bought one for Alex (Marauderboi) it was a 1997 Mark VIII 47K on the clock.

Aren Jay
02-25-2008, 11:42 PM
If you want good coupe alternatives these are nice and in your area.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=&search_lang=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Ais psearchform&search_type=both&distance=100&address=32063&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=PONT&model=TRANSAM&make2=SUB&model2=SVX&make3=&start_year=1992&end_year=1999&min_price=&max_price=&sfy=false&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=

I have had a 94 Firebird and other than the lack of front seat travel it was a great car. Backseat is nothing to get excited about but it does have the looks of the batmobile.

The SVX is the best and worst car Subaru has ever made. Best because it is just so perfect, worst because it is the heaviest car they made and really didn't know how to make them when they did. There are fixes for everything that went wrong with them, tranmission cooling, wheel bearings, and other minor problems. easy fixes if they havn't already been done. The SVX is a car that can be and has been driven hundred of thousands of miles without fear of them breaking down. True drivers car. With Squire Turbo's, they really move.

If black and 97 V8 automatic are needed by you have a look at this.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=239737070&dealer_id=6490747&car_year=1997&model=TRANSAM&num_records=&systime=&make3=&make2=SUB&sfy=false&start_year=1992&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=100&marketZipError=false&model2=SVX&search_lang=&make=PONT&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Ais psearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=32063&advanced=&end_year=1999&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=30

but check it out before you buy.