PDA

View Full Version : MY Marauders wrecked.. can I take parts from it?

The German
02-14-2008, 03:18 PM
My Marauder is totalled and sitting at the yard right now...I have a friend that wants to buy it for the motor and other parts...Can I do that??? anyone know??

finster101
02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Damn man. What happened?

TiTo35
02-14-2008, 04:13 PM
When my moms totaled her car the yard let me go in a get what I could...But it all depends on the people there, you know.

Blackened300a
02-14-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm pretty sure you can only remove personal belongings and not entire parts of the car since the insurance company bought the car from you. Its kinda like me selling you a car, then I come to your yard and take the engine out. Once the damage is assessed and the check is cut, they own it. You may be charged with stealing.

TooManyFords
02-14-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm pretty sure you can only remove personal belongings and not entire parts of the car since the insurance company bought the car from you. Its kinda like me selling you a car, then I come to your yard and take the engine out. Once the damage is assessed and the check is cut, they own it. You may be charged with stealing.
Unless you can show significant modifications, this is true. My son just totalled my 93 Explorer; lift kit, custom rims 32" tires, 9000lb winch, racing seats, stereo etc. They quoted me a low figure on the truck minus deductible and I explained that didn't even come close to these items. So I get to take all of these out and still got the payment. I did have to come up with replacement wheels though. After it was all said and done, turns out they only wanted $300 for the buy-back so I did that too. Found another IDENTICAL Explorer in the same color in town for $500 so I made out.

Now, this was on a rusted Explorer... The Marauder will have a good bit more value to the parts houses so YMMV.

FordNut
02-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Best bet is to buy-back from the insurance co and part it out yourself...

jaywish
02-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Fordnut is correct.

You ask the insurance company how much they will pay you if you keep the car. Then you still own it and can do what you will.

Jay

larryo340
02-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Best bet is to buy-back from the insurance co and part it out yourself...
^^^^^^+2 when you find out what they want for it post it up for us to see if it is fair.

MENINBLK
02-15-2008, 06:38 AM
+3 on the buy back.
Call your insurance agent and tell them what you want to do.
They can get back to you with a figure in usually a few hours.