PDA

View Full Version : I miss Fry's!!

N40GL
02-15-2008, 06:24 AM
Although this may seem more appropriate in the C.A.M. forum, I think I'll put this here. So many people move in and out of Washington DC, maybe there's some historical memory I can access.

I moved away from California in 1999 to Chicago. When in Northern California, my 'electronics parts and tinkering' needs were met quite nicely by Fry's Electronics. Geez, they had EVERYTHING! I built several computers by what they had in stock in chips, motherboards, memory, drives and whatnot. Lots of software, lots of other stuff. After moving, I went into serious Fry's withdrawal and needed therapy, 'cause I was starting to like Radio Shack.
:bigcry:
After a couple years in Chicago, VIOLA! They opened a Fry's in Downers Grove! Rejoice, rejoice. Happy day. Access to parts, toys, things to tinker with, fun stuff. And the best part, unknowledgeable help that doesn't know a cr@p about anything in the building. I'm happy again.
:banana2:
A year or so ago I moved to Northern Virginia. Radio Shack's starting to look pretty good again.
:depress:
Is there any local cure for my affliction? Do I have to hang around alleys to score deals on CPUs? Am I doomed to a life of ordering from Tiger Direct?
:shake:
Help!

Mark

Breadfan
02-15-2008, 06:52 AM
Well your options:

Microcenter in Fairfax : http://www.microcenter.com/

Market pro computer show and sale (usually once a month in Chantilly) : http://www.marketproshows.com/computershows/showschedule.php

The market pro show has a lot of local vendors, we have a lot of local small computers shops.

My experience is that the local guys are good if you need something quick but Newegg almost always has better prices and of course a better selection. Mileage varies greatly between local vendors.

I build all my pc's too I'd say 80-90% newegg parts 10-20% local stuff. A lot of that had to do with being picky about exactly what part I wanted which made newegg a nice one stop shop for a picky buyer.

MENINBLK
02-15-2008, 06:53 AM
www.shopper.com (http://www.shopper.com)

Use the SEARCH function and it will bring up just about anyone selling what you are looking for.

88LTDCV351
02-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I think I'll miss Fry's if I ever end up back in my home of Indiana. But good news is, there is a Fry's now in Fishers, IN. :)

fastblackmerc
02-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Gee... we have a Tiger Direct store in Raleigh. Try www.geeks.com also.

Egon Spengler
02-15-2008, 09:59 AM
:nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Bluerauder
02-15-2008, 01:11 PM
So ... what you are really saying is that "You would like to have Fry's with that." ;)

N40GL
02-15-2008, 01:12 PM
So ... what you are really saying is that "You would like to have Fry's with that." ;)

Not quite. What I am saying is that I'd like to have that with Fry's.

Mike Poore
02-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Is there any local cure for my affliction? Do I have to hang around alleys to score deals on CPUs? Am I doomed to a life of ordering from Tiger Direct?
:shake:
Help!

Mark

The local hamfest scene might offer a temporary fix, Mark. There's spring Timmonium, at the fairgrounds, a very large affair. Howard County and Frederick offer enough boat anchors on the parts tables to keep the most bored kid happy. :D

....DE W3CAR