PDA

View Full Version : Virgin private car sale

Donald
02-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Well, I actually sold a car on eBay. Never fear, NOT my Marauder!!!! First time selling a car to an individual. Always just traded then in on a new car.

I am in California and buyer is in Arizona.

I can create a bill of sale on the DMV website. They also have a form I can use to tell them I don't own the car. I also need to tell my insurance agent I don't own the car.

Do I leave my CA plates on the car? Will I need a notary for anything? Do I have to go to a DMV office for anything? Exactly when do I contact my insurance agent?

Anything else?

TiTo35
02-16-2008, 04:52 PM
The tags are yours...unless yall transfer that. I bought my MM from a private seller...Most he had to do was send me a bill of sales which had to me notarized and talk to his bank...the banks did the rest. Your insurance, well in MD all run together with the tags, no tags, no ins. If you sold the car you shouldnt have any of those things. I hope I could be of some assistance.

MACFORD88
02-16-2008, 04:59 PM
If You Keep The Tags He May Have To Go To The Dmv To Get A Permit. To Drive Back To Az.i Think Once Dmv Knows Its Not Youer Any More It Ok To Leave The Tags.

J D
02-16-2008, 05:16 PM
You should definitely keep the plates. If you have tickets (although I don't think you do), or he gets into some trouble on the way back, it could lead to trouble for the both of you, but that sometimes varies by state, so ask a LEO or someone who knows for sure.

PS Got that from Parking Wars, a tv show on a&e

Donald
02-18-2008, 12:56 PM
If only all car sales went like this. On 2/9 I listed a 1987 TBird LX. 95000 miles. Put a starting bid at $1000 and BIN of $2000. 1st bid on 2/15. Closed at $1525 2/16 at 1:55. At 3:44 I get an email saying the guy wants to pay. Buying it for his nephew. For some reason I could not list it with PayPal as a full payment option. Just the deposit. Guy wants to use PayPal for whole thing as he has a $100 coupon code from PayPal. I suggest he just use the Send Money option on PayPal. He tries and when he points them to the eBay listing it lets him pay the whole $1525. But it only cost him $1425.

Nephew drives to my area from Mesa, AZ on Sat. evening and gets a room. Comes to my place around 9:30 Sun. morning. Has AZ temp plates with him. He is thrilled with car. Better than he expected. Took pics and phoned them to friends in AZ. Seems he has had 5 TBirds, one a 1988 LX. So he knows this one. He has a friend that just got a 1987 LX, too. Same color scheme as mine. Plans to make a race car. My guy will get the interior from the 'race' car. Not really needed but he plans to restore the audio system to factory. Does not want the full Alpine 8 speaker, 3 amplifier, 12 CD changer, cassette tape $3800 system I installed in 1988. :-)

In 24 hours I have my money via a safe method and the new owner has the car back home. :beer:

UncleLar
02-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Donald,if the young guy is that nice of a guy get ahold of him and steer him over to the Thunderbird Cougar Club of America (TCCOA) if he isn't already a member and the guys there should snap up your old system recouping him some of his dough to restore your old Bird and make some other guy real happy. I was a member over there for a while when I had my 96 Cougar. I had the only Cougar Bostonian at the 2002 MN-12 Nationals. I was Uncle Lar over there too.