PDA

View Full Version : Can You Make and Leave This World A Better Place?

sailsmen
02-16-2008, 09:57 PM
The answer is yes. I have proof.

My grandmother 99 died. She was the daughter of a legal immigrant and her first language was not english.

Her father was one of three brothers who founded a business that received an award in 2005 as the best in the nation.

In her youth she flew on the first commercial flight from Paris to London. She was the only passenger who did not get air sick.

She founded several charities. One gave scholarships to dental hygenists students. She would review the applications with the Dean. The Dean would call in the student and she would inform them they received a scholarship.

She told the story how one student cried profusly upon recieving the scholarship. The student hadn't paid her tuition and was certain the Dean called her in to tell her she had to leave.

She would take in the difficult orphans from the orphanages to straighten them out. I remember playing with them as a child.

She told us how she took in one girl who was a Native American aged 11 and severely crossed eyed. The orphanage thought she was retarded. My Grand Father operated on her and fixed her eyes. My grandmother worked with her to teach her to read and write. 11 was past what was considered the adoptable age.

This orphan was adopted, then married and had a beautiful family. She would send Christmas cards every year.

My grandmother was a licensed art appraiser and donated a silver Paul Revere porridge bowl to the state museum.

She was given the Order of St. Louis Medallion, the highest award a lay catholic can recieve.

The visitation was for two hours and the line was so long many were unable to visit. The Chapel was full.

Looking at all the people whose lives she had a positive impact on I know you can make this World a better place and leave the World a better place.:)

martyo
02-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for sharing.

JamesHecker
02-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Sounds like an awesome woman. May God continue to bless her and her family for generations to come.

Mike Poore
02-17-2008, 05:32 AM
I'm sure she has an exalted seat with our Lord. God bless her and your family, and above all, thanks for sharing your story.

Now, for god's sake, go put on some clothes and put that axe away. :rofl:

JMan
02-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Wondrous story of a fantastic women. I'm certain her spirit does many blessings everyday!

J

Bluerauder
02-17-2008, 06:27 AM
My grandmother 99 died. She was the daughter of a legal immigrant and her first language was not english.
Sincerest condolences on the loss of your Grandmother. Sounds like she had a very full and rewarding life and had a positive impact on many people.

Leadfoot281
02-17-2008, 05:07 PM
You have my condolences. I believe the world could really use a few more people like your Grandma.

MADRODER
02-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Sounds like she had a incredible life, she's in good hands now...God Bless

jgc61sr2002
02-17-2008, 05:45 PM
A great lady. You have my deepest condolences.

Motorhead350
02-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Wow that's saying a lot. Looks like I have have some catching up to do!

MarauderTJA
02-17-2008, 06:45 PM
An incredible story of a grandmother who had a heart larger than life. More people like her are certainly needed in this world today. She will missed my many people. But memories of her life will go on forever. My prayers are with your grandmother and you my friend.