PDA

View Full Version : Drive In Theater?

J D
02-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Has anyone been to one with their Marauder? Are they extinct, along with the diners w/ roller skate girls, and tailfins on cars? Were it not for the MM I'd say I missed my generation (or was a greaser in a past life :rolleyes:)

There used to be one less than ten minutes away from me, but was torn down 4 yrs before I came to be and is now a multiplex, still has the parking lot (the lot is huge, I leaned to drive there). and the only open one seems to be 40 miles away deep in the heart of NYstate.

One day I hope to encounter one, but till then share the stories.

jonroe
02-17-2008, 05:49 AM
There is a drive-in about 60 miles west of me in the northern Shenandoah valley. It is quite nice and well preserved. We try to go once or twice each summer. I think we took the MM last summer. I'm glad there is one nearby. I do miss them from my youth.

Bluerauder
02-17-2008, 05:56 AM
Has anyone been to one with their Marauder? Are they extinct, along with the diners w/ roller skate girls, and tailfins on cars?
Not many Drive-In Theaters are left. Many were built in what were the suburbs and rural stretches in the 1950's. As towns and cities expanded into those zones, the land became more valuable to sell as the site of a shopping mall, a retail center or even a multiplex theater.

There is one in Lexington, VA >>>> http://www.hullsdrivein.com/ that was bought by the community in May 2001 and is now run as a "non-profit" organization.

Here's a link where you can find listings for each state >>>> http://www.driveinmovie.com/

I have never been to a Drive-In movie in the Marauder .... but growing up in the 1950's and 1960's, I did have many opportunities to enjoy trips to the drive-in. Sometimes, I even watched the movie. :D The last movie that I saw at a Drive-In was "Ghostbusters" back in the mid-80s or so. Coincidentally, it was located on MD Route 210 where the recent "incident" took place. Saw "Smokey and the Bandit" at a drive-in on Sunrise Highway on Long Island in the late '70s. Saw "Patton" at the Ritchie Drive-In, Route 2 in Maryland in the early '70s.

Watched "Woodstock" from a parking lot next door (no sound) to the Shore Drive-In on Mountain Road in Pasadena, MD on the night that I met my wife, August 1971.

mrjones
02-17-2008, 06:15 AM
I don't know what it's like in NY, but here in TX we've had several NEW ones open up in the last few years, and there are still quite a few of the older ones in operation.

Pat
02-17-2008, 06:27 AM
I fondly,or is it fondle, remember $1.00 a car load.

We could get ten kids in my old 48 chevy 4 door sedan.

We watched the movie mostly from outside the car. Double feature, ten cartoons, shorts plus previews. Home by curfew.

FordNut
02-17-2008, 07:38 AM
There are a couple near me, it's nice to go in a big comfy car like the MM.

There is one near Bristol Speedway, maybe in conjunction with FFW (or maybe MV) we can have a group trip to the movies.

shawn.criswell
02-17-2008, 08:09 AM
We had one near my last duty station in Lemoore, CA. The drive-in is in Armona, CA. 6 bucks for a max of 6 persons per vehicle for two movies. Averages out to 50 cents a person.

PRCARGUY
02-17-2008, 08:10 AM
:D Yes, I have. There's one that reopened called the "Desea Drive-In" theatre on Rt 47 in vineland in south jersey. I even gone there in my 71'monte carlo.:cool:Took the kids to see shrek and others of same type stuff.There is also one called the "Warwick Drive-In"theatre by NJ/NY state line in warwick ny.This one has 3 movie screens.:popcorn:I think this is on Rt 94. I have not been there since before I move out nyc back in 91'. Both will reopen in the spring.

Mike Poore
02-17-2008, 08:18 AM
There are a few remaining here in PA, one just north of State College, PA, and I passed another just the other day, but can't recall where. The cool thing about going in a Marauder is all the guys you can get/hide in the trunk, while the air ride keeps the back from drooping, and the rear bumper dragging on the ubiquitous entrance hump, a sure giveaway in the old days. :D

MACFORD88
02-17-2008, 08:22 AM
There Are Two Here By Me.the Are Still Runing.one In La Is Now A Swapmeet.

Blackmobile
02-17-2008, 09:10 AM
I think I can say we have the largest drive-in in t he country. It's the Swap Shop drive-in & flea market. In the day it's a huge swap meet and at night it is a 14 screen drive in.

http://www.floridaswapshop.com

If you pick the right screen, you and your family can actually see other movies than the one you're in front of. All you have to do is tune your radio to a assigned frequency and you can hear all the movies but in the SWEET spot you can watch 3 to 4 at one location. The other half and I will watch one movie, while our boy can sit in a lounge chair with a portable radio and watch another movie. Of course we bring our own popcorn and drinks. It only has one draw back. Movies with a lot of CGI aren't as crisp visually as they are on an indoor screen.

Another good thing about the MM. If the kid sits back and keeps quiet, they never see him in the back seat so we just pay for 2. Thank goodness for the limo tint on the back door windows.:D

Go Mifuni
02-17-2008, 10:48 AM
I've got two near me. Hit the packy and the Taco Bell first and you're all set. :beer:

Mike Poore
02-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Watched "Woodstock" from a parking lot next door (no sound) to the Shore Drive-In on Mountain Road in Pasadena, MD on the night that I met my wife, August 1971.

You must have really wow'ed her with your lavish spending on that first date. :rofl:

Black_Noise
02-17-2008, 12:57 PM
this is a good site to find them... i found one that is 1/2 hr away and I never even know it!! Im going this summer

http://www.driveinmovie.com/mainmenu.htm

TiTo35
02-17-2008, 01:36 PM
A friend of mine was trying to get a group of us to go to a drive-in movie last year some where out pass Baltimore...it was a just a summer thing...maybe just that summer, we never made it but they did have a website...if I can dig it up I will post it...MM Meet @ the Drive in???

Bluerauder
02-17-2008, 02:30 PM
A friend of mine was trying to get a group of us to go to a drive-in movie last year some where out pass Baltimore...
That would be "Benjie's Drive-In". It is billed as the largest screen on the East Coast at 120' by 54'.

You must have really wow'ed her with your lavish spending on that first date. :rofl:

I wouldn't classify it as a first date 'cause we had just met ... we just talked ... so "no sound" worked out OK. Can't argue with success though --- 33 years coming up.

BTW --- congrats to you and Barb on the big 40th. That's the "supercharger" anniversary, right? :rofl:

jgc61sr2002
02-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Unfortunitly there are none left on Long Island:(

I can remember at least 6 on Long Island the last one was in Westbury if I remember correctly.

There was also one in the Bronx.

TiTo35
02-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Thank You Bluerauder
Heres the website
http://www.bengies.com/Home.php

88LTDCV351
02-22-2008, 05:14 PM
I recall one from when I was growing up in Indianapolis that my parents took us kids too a few times. Facilities were awful and food was sloppy. Anyway, that one is a patch of cracked concrete with grass growing through in a lot of areas. The screens are still up. But there is one still that I went to a few times a little bit farther up north. There is also a few in Michigan Detroit metro area (I took my ex-girlfriend to one). There is one in San Jose California that doubles as a flea market during the day. Unfortunately, when I went to all of these, I was still driving my 88 Crown Vic ex-cop car as a daily driver. So no drive in time yet in the Marauder.

88LTDCV351
02-22-2008, 05:16 PM
I used to take the spot light on the ex-cop car and shine it on the screen. lol I didn't do it when a lot of people showed up yet though.