Alright this is what I am doing right now/did already:

1. Changed the spark plugs
2. Changed the spark plug wires
3. Changed the valve cover gaskets
4. Changing the intake gaskets
5. Changing the head gaskets
6. Changing the distributer cap
7. Changing the oil and filter

When I was removing an exhaust manifold I broke one of the heads off the a bolt and now the exhaust manifold is stuck on there. I was told I need to remove the exhaust manifold in order to get the heads off to change the head gaskets. Now how do I get this off? I know this happened to more than 3 people so there has to be a way. My buddy just said forget about it and just change the intake gaskets. I disagree because of finding water in the oil I know the head gaskets must be changed to save this engine and as long as I bought all of these parts I might as well finish my work.

When I took out the old spark plugs they had a ton of oil on the tips as to a point where it almost looked like black sand... what does this mean? Is the engine still worth saving? Should I just change the other gaskets and oil and call it a day? What do I do about that bolt I broke the head off of? :help:

Motorhead350
02-18-2008, 03:28 AM
Anyone?????????

Mike Poore
02-18-2008, 04:34 AM
You need to remove the head(s) to change the gasket, so take them to a machine shop and get the valves done while you're at it. Removing the bolt is a piece of cake for those guys. Just a suggestion, but why not pull the engine, get it cooked out, and overhauled, if it's sound? You're not building a racing engine, here, and a simple overhaul is an affordable option, because, in the end, you know what you've got, when it's done. You can go the junk yard route for a replacement, but how do you know what you're gonna end up with? :twocents:

Remember, it's the stingy man who pays the most. ;)

Blackmobile
02-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Alright this is what I am doing right now/did already:

1. Changed the spark plugs
2. Changed the spark plug wires
3. Changed the valve cover gaskets
4. Changing the intake gaskets
5. Changing the head gaskets
6. Changing the distributer cap
7. Changing the oil and filter

When I was removing an exhaust manifold I broke one of the heads off the a bolt and now the exhaust manifold is stuck on there. I was told I need to remove the exhaust manifold in order to get the heads off to change the head gaskets. Now how do I get this off? I know this happened to more than 3 people so there has to be a way. My buddy just said forget about it and just change the intake gaskets. I disagree because of finding water in the oil I know the head gaskets must be changed to save this engine and as long as I bought all of these parts I might as well finish my work.

When I took out the old spark plugs they had a ton of oil on the tips as to a point where it almost looked like black sand... what does this mean? Is the engine still worth saving? Should I just change the other gaskets and oil and call it a day? What do I do about that bolt I broke the head off of? :help:

If I understand you correctly you need to separate the manifold from the exhaust pipe.Then you should be able to remove the head with the manifold. After you do that you can address the broken bolt in the head that was holding on the manifold.

Dragcity
02-18-2008, 06:35 AM
That Exhaust Manifold bolt shouldn't be tooooo bad. You will have to remove all the other manifold bolts. The one(s) the heads broke off of will be like studs, and the manifold will slide off those without heads on them.

Once you have the manifod off the heads, you should have enough of the 'stud' to grab with vice grips. It will take some time to remove them, as you should soak the threads with penetrating oil several times for a couple days. Then, heat the head with a torch and get a really good grip on the stud and remove.

If it broke off really low, you are reserved to drilling and extracting, but still have to penetrate and heat.

If all that fails, it will have to be drilled out very accurately and re-tap the threads.

In other word, have fun.!

High-C
02-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Dom, You forgot step #8... Buy a Ford...:P

Breadfan
02-18-2008, 09:28 AM
That Exhaust Manifold bolt shouldn't be tooooo bad. You will have to remove all the other manifold bolts. The one(s) the heads broke off of will be like studs, and the manifold will slide off those without heads on them.

Once you have the manifod off the heads, you should have enough of the 'stud' to grab with vice grips. It will take some time to remove them, as you should soak the threads with penetrating oil several times for a couple days. Then, heat the head with a torch and get a really good grip on the stud and remove.

If it broke off really low, you are reserved to drilling and extracting, but still have to penetrate and heat.

If all that fails, it will have to be drilled out very accurately and re-tap the threads.

In other word, have fun.!

^^^ ^^^
Good advice!

Try some PB Blaster let it sit overnight give it several applications before you pull it and give it heat. May help when you extract it as mentioned above.

Also as mentioned you should be able to remove the head with the manifold attached and be able to work on the broken manifold bolt on the bench which will be easier than leaning over a fender to do it.

Motorhead350
02-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Dom, You forgot step #8... Buy a Ford...:P

I like all car companies, but my favorite is older Chevy. ;)

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I'll have to see if I can fit a drill in that bolt, but I might have to remove a wheel well first.

Dragcity
02-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Nah, Like Btreadfan said, get the head off the block first. You are taking them off anyway. It will be ten times easier on the bench. I doubt you will be able to get it at all while on the block.

Even if all eight of them break off, it will be easier when the head is on the bench... Trust me...............

By the way, I listened to your CD in my car again today. I find I drive too fast if I turn it up too loud. Sweet!

Motorhead350
02-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Actually I had a buddy come over and I missed removing one bolt and that manifold came right off. I still broke a head off, but we didn't find any bolt stuck in the head so I don't know what the deal is. We will change the head gaskets in a day or so when we are both free from school and work.

Joe I really appreciate that. There was one problem though... today we had band practice and played Speed Addict about 50 beats faster like Reverend Horton Heat if he was on crack and it sounded sooooo much better played fasssst! We might have to re-record that one again sometime.

Dragcity
02-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Keep Rockin'

Wags
02-19-2008, 07:44 AM
When I was running an extremely heavy clutch in my '68, I snapped off the pivot stud on the bellcrank assembly. I could not get a drill in the space to drill out (unless removing inner fender, or pulling motor), so what I did was get a right angle drill. Worked like a charm. Have since used it in many other hard to get to places. Also, you said you replaced the distributor cap. If it is a true '65, you will have the points and condenser to replace also. I would suggest updating to a HEI distributor. This would eliminate the points and condenser, as well as the ballast resistor. PerTronix make a nice, low cost conversion kit for this. The stock GM HEI distributor is nice also. You can then also inspect the gear on the distributor for wear, and replace as needed. If you do upgrade to HEI, and are using the stock tack, you will have to get an adapter before using it again, or you will cash it out.

Wags