PDA

View Full Version : A Real Car Movie

Motorhead350
02-18-2008, 03:17 AM
With the talk about Knight Rider and no original stories anymore here's a movie you should see if you are into great car movies. I recently purchased The Driver and it's gotta be one of the best out there and I have a list of reasons.

1. NO PRODUCT PLACEMENT. You will not find the newest cars of that time being put all over the screen. A few cars are ugly especially the Ford in the first chase. Nothing is mentioned like how much power the car has or any special features that no one could afford... just cars the way they are.

2. No stupid new music or other promotions.

3. Real Stunts!!! You will see cars crashing and burnouts. No computer bull and actual damage to the cars. This isn't all Hollywrong where no one hits anything and the cars are perfect, it's as close to reality as you can get because it was filmed when reality still existed.

4. Actors driving the cars. You'll see the characters in the movie actually driving the cars which is a plus in my book.

5. The story is pretty cool and I wouldn't be surprized if this movie was based upon a news artice of some sort.

If you want to see a real car movie and sick of car movies exploding into commercials check this out, you'll be glad you did. Also it was filmed in the 70s and most of us know that was the peak for great car films. :burnout:

03blackvegas
02-18-2008, 06:55 AM
I'ts one of my favorites.

larryo340
02-18-2008, 07:09 AM
:banana2:I agree Dom, the Driver is a great movie. You cost me money though, after reading your post I had to go and buy the DVD. I do miss the real car movies. You guys know the ones with real sounds and wrecks no computer CGI crap.

Big House
02-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Is this the movie with the guy in the supercharged Charger or challenger lighting up the desert highways running from the police?

Blackmobile
02-18-2008, 10:29 AM
If you want to talk about real car movies you have to include DeathRace 2000 which was more funny than anything else, and Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry, which had a down right brutal ending.

Motorhead350
02-18-2008, 12:43 PM
If you want to talk about real car movies you have to include DeathRace 2000 which was more funny than anything else, and Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry, which had a down right brutal ending.

I own both of those too, but I liked The Driver more. Big House the movie you are thinking of is Vanishing Point. Go rent The Driver if you can find it. :burnout:

SC Cheesehead
02-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Is this the movie with the guy in the supercharged Charger or challenger lighting up the desert highways running from the police?

If was a white Challenger, the movie was "Vanishing Point." He crashes big-time at the end of the movie, right?

SCCH

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Here's some movies, which I can think of off the top of my head which have some pretty decent car chases..

To Live and Die in LA
Ronin
The Bourne Identity,
Supremacy,
Ultimatum,
Shooter
The Island
The Transporter
Tomorrow Never Dies
Bullitt
Risky Business
Fled..

Theres more just can't think of anything else right now.

da'law
02-18-2008, 02:50 PM
I saw The Driver when it first came out and then went out in my 71 Chrysler Newport 4 dr. sedan and proceeded to try driving like that in the theater parking lot.......until the police rolled in for thier usual midnight security check then hide out routine behind the theater.

I have the Driver as well as Vanishing Point and Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry.
If anyone picked up DM,CL recently they have an interview portion with Peter Fonda and Susan George where they describe one of the chase scenes in which They were actually in the car. IIRC it was the scene where the police are attempting to run them off the road after the switched to the Charger. Peter said that scene they were running at about 90-100 mph while it was being filmed. No stunt drivers, just the actors, now that is acting!!

Blk Mamba
02-18-2008, 04:26 PM
The original "Gone in 60 Seconds",

2003 MIB
02-18-2008, 04:32 PM
The Italian Job (either one)

Blk Mamba
02-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Gone in 60 Seconds, 1974
Written, Directed, and Starring, H B Halicki, also with J C Agajanian.

Blackmobile
02-18-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the one movie all SC owners should know.
Mad MAX

2003 MIB
02-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Gone in 60 Seconds, 1974
Written, Directed, and Starring, H B Halicki, also with J C Agajanian.

Have you seen "The Junkman"?

Blk Mamba
02-18-2008, 05:24 PM
No, but I'll look for it. The reason I keep going on about Gone, is that i lived in Cal. while it was being made, and am driving by on the freeway, when all hell breaks loose at the Caddy store. Everyone around knew when it was filmed, and tried to get in the movie one way or another, a lot of the police were real, just trying to keep onlookers away.

2003 MIB
02-18-2008, 05:41 PM
No, but I'll look for it. The reason I keep going on about Gone, is that i lived in Cal. while it was being made, and am driving by on the freeway, when all hell breaks loose at the Caddy store. Everyone around knew when it was filmed, and tried to get in the movie one way or another, a lot of the police were real, just trying to keep onlookers away.

Long Beach, right?

FreddieH
02-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Besides Smokey and the Bandit, Burt Reynolds played in "White Lightning" , he drove a souped up early 70's Ford Galaxy.

Blackmobile
02-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Besides Smokey and the Bandit, Burt Reynolds played in "White Lightning" , he drove a souped up early 70's Ford Galaxy.

That reminds me of anothe Burt movie...Hooper.

mpearce
02-18-2008, 06:15 PM
My fav's

Vanishing Point, and Dirty Mary...Crazy Larry.

Both are good. However...

If anyone saw "Grindhouse" last year...part two was called "Deathproof".

So far..."Deathproof" is my favorite car movie.

Absolutely awesome if you haven't seen it.

Part 1 of Grindhouse was just...O.K.

-Mat

Blk Mamba
02-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Long Beach, Signal Hill, & Torrance, Signal Hill is in almost every car scene, in every movie, and TV show. ( there is a large dirt parking area, with oil wells, and the paved road to it is really curvy, it's only about two miles, but the way they film it you would think it's 10).

larryo340
02-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Don't forget "The Seven Ups"

Blk Mamba
02-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Never heard of it!

Leadfoot281
02-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Agreed 100%. The Driver is awesome!

It's further proof there has never been a bad Bruce Dern movie. I've got it on a really washed out VHS copy I made using a rented tape and two crappy VCR's.

Where are you finding these on DVD Dom?

RCSignals
02-19-2008, 12:28 AM
The Italian Job (either one)

yes. I like the original best though

Motorhead350
02-19-2008, 01:19 AM
So far..."Deathproof" is my favorite car movie.

Absolutely awesome if you haven't seen it.

Part 1 of Grindhouse was just...O.K.

-Mat

HECK YA!!! I love Death Proof and I have it on DVD also. I love how it pokes fun at modern car movies and actually has stunts like movies used to. I love the overall old school feel of the movie with the long dialogue too! Probably the best movie to come out in a while in my book!

John if you are interested I can PM you the info on a store that sells nothing, but car DVDs. Some are movies like we mentioned and some are just drag racing, crashes... whatever you wanna watch. :cool:

larryo340
02-19-2008, 07:26 AM

larryo340
02-19-2008, 07:28 AM
Never heard of it!
It was a long time ago in the early '70s,
man I'm getting old :(
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/22001080/Images/49/01-0111634.jpg

Motorhead350
02-19-2008, 02:20 PM
I'll have to check that one out!

Blk Mamba
02-19-2008, 04:22 PM
How about the "Wraith" made by Chrysler Corp, to help advertise the new mid engine proto-type they never made, a Dodge Turbo-Interceptor M4S.

bob6364
02-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Wraith was good, for a B movie it had some big names..Charlie Sheen ,Randy Quaid,clint Howard

Redline 7000
Return to Macon County was the bomb :D

N40GL
02-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Since you've seen The Driver, you might get a kick outta this.

One night I'm driving home from Law School (I think it was 2d year, so that makes it 1977-1978). I lived in La Habra at the time, and went to school at Whittier College - the law school campus was, at that time, at 3d and Highland in LA. It was late and, because my usual commute was on the Santa Ana Freeway, I usually drove city streets home for variety. Whittier Blvd. took me all the way home, so that's where I was driving. Actually, I was on 6th Street right about where it turns into Whittier Blvd. (at Santa Fe). It's about 2:00 AM.

So I'm driving home and get to the intersection when a motor cop waves me off the street. I ask what's happening and he says they're shooting a movie. So I decide to watch.

What I witness is three or four takes where the Driver is tearing down westbound on Whittier Blvd., chased my to motor cops that are firing at him. Then the trunk of his car flies off as they are firing. As I recall, the parade turns southbound on Santa Fe and travels out of the shot.

What I found interesting in the world of pyrotechnics was the pathetic little sounds made by the motor cops shooting at the Driver's car - clearly blanks. But what was even more interesting was that the truck flies off because a giant leaf spring is under it, causing it to 'boing!' into the air. Watching three or four takes, I remember when the SFX guys had to pick up the trunk lid and put it back on the car for another take. They were jumping up and down on it on the car to get it to latch closed. Then the car drove down the bridge again and "boing!' one more time.

You can almost see the spring in the shot.

Ahh - growing up in Hollyweird. Memories . . .

N40GL
02-20-2008, 06:23 AM
And don't forget "Rendezvous"...

Canadasvt
02-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Anyone here remember a movie in the late 60's with Steve McQueen named Bullitt? :)

Great movie but The Italian Job is my favourite. When I was a kid I'd get my father to wake me up (before VCR or DVD remember) late at night when it was airing and I'd watch those Mini's do their thing, then I'd go back to bed.

I'll have to check out The Driver....I've played the game on Playstation already.

As for Smokey & The Bandit, me and a buddy were 10 and lined up for a couple of hours to see it at the theatre in '77. When we finally got to the ticket booth, "Sorry, sold out" the old hag told us. Didn't see the movie until it came on TV years later.

Motorhead350
02-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Since you've seen The Driver, you might get a kick outta this.

One night I'm driving home from Law School (I think it was 2d year, so that makes it 1977-1978). I lived in La Habra at the time, and went to school at Whittier College - the law school campus was, at that time, at 3d and Highland in LA. It was late and, because my usual commute was on the Santa Ana Freeway, I usually drove city streets home for variety. Whittier Blvd. took me all the way home, so that's where I was driving. Actually, I was on 6th Street right about where it turns into Whittier Blvd. (at Santa Fe). It's about 2:00 AM.

So I'm driving home and get to the intersection when a motor cop waves me off the street. I ask what's happening and he says they're shooting a movie. So I decide to watch.

What I witness is three or four takes where the Driver is tearing down westbound on Whittier Blvd., chased my to motor cops that are firing at him. Then the trunk of his car flies off as they are firing. As I recall, the parade turns southbound on Santa Fe and travels out of the shot.

What I found interesting in the world of pyrotechnics was the pathetic little sounds made by the motor cops shooting at the Driver's car - clearly blanks. But what was even more interesting was that the truck flies off because a giant leaf spring is under it, causing it to 'boing!' into the air. Watching three or four takes, I remember when the SFX guys had to pick up the trunk lid and put it back on the car for another take. They were jumping up and down on it on the car to get it to latch closed. Then the car drove down the bridge again and "boing!' one more time.

You can almost see the spring in the shot.

Ahh - growing up in Hollyweird. Memories . . .

Wow that's really cool man. I'll have to watch that trunk shot again.

252life
02-21-2008, 10:53 PM
If you want to see some real driving i recommend a DVD called
Ghost Rider Goes Undercover.
http://www.dukevideousa.com/Motorcycles/DVD/High%20Performance/Ghost%20Rider%204%20DVD%20NTSC .aspx

It has some insane driving! A BMW Z3 M Coupe being chased by a Yamaha R1.
If you like real driving you won't be disappointed.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/8/3/6/8/2.jpg

(It's also filmed in Stockholm where i live)

Aren Jay
02-21-2008, 11:23 PM
The transporter was pretty good. The second one was too fake though.

Although the first two bourne movies have some great car chases.