PDA

View Full Version : The Lord Almost Called Another One

Egon Spengler
02-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Going down 290 through worcester ma... there is a pothole I always try to avoid but today I had the jersey barrier to the left of me and a car I was passing to the right of me... the raid was really coming down and I was in the left lane doing 65-70 MPH... I started to hydroplane as I was coming up on the pothole and the hydroplaning allong with the left side of my car going into the pothole and the 200 lbs of weight in the trunk for winter traction... the rear end kicked out to the left close to the guardrail so I countersteered and the weight in the trunk helped to swing the rear end out to the right next almost into the middle lane and then I was able to regain it again and get in the straight and narrow... very scary moment, don't care about my life... wanted to make sure my baby would make it through it ok... don't need any dings, scratched, or dents on her!!! Maybe I should have taken presidents day off from work!!! ALMOST CASHED IN THE CHIPS!!!:bigcry:

cyclopsram
02-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Isn't that a 55 zone thru Worcester? And in bad weather is more like 45 as I remember from 20 years of commuting to Norton Co.

Blackmobile
02-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Glad to see you kept it under control. This thread should really read, "Saved another MM today". You may now push your heart down outta your throat and back into your chest where it belongs. Good Job!

arejayesss
02-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Whether its your life or your car you're concerned about, going 55+ when its wet, let alone 'coming down hard' is asking for hydroplane. Anytime its wet with whatever vehichle you may be steering, once you hit 55 hydroplaning is VERY likely, due mostly to weight distribution and loss of friction from the water on the pavement. DO NOT EXCEED 55 WHEN WET IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE CAR LIVE

Blackmobile
02-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Whether its your life or your car you're concerned about, going 55+ when its wet, let alone 'coming down hard' is asking for hydroplane. Anytime its wet with whatever vehichle you may be steering, once you hit 55 hydroplaning is VERY likely, due mostly to weight distribution and loss of friction from the water on the pavement. DO NOT EXCEED 55 WHEN WET IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE CAR LIVE

You're beginning to sound like an old man dude. You going racing Sunday?

arejayesss
02-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Yes sirree bob!!!

DOOM
02-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Glad to hear you and the car made it through ok.

Egon Spengler
02-18-2008, 12:56 PM
it was a monday morning... need I say more... I must've been daydreaming!! I got my heart out of my throat... need a change of underwear though!

Blk Mamba
02-18-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm glad both of you made it OK.

ImpalaSlayer
02-18-2008, 05:48 PM
i couldnt get my old truck to hydroplain, and i tried going through a field into a big ass puddle. but the mm is totaly different and likes to hydropail very easly

Hotrauder
02-18-2008, 05:49 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif The Lord Almost Called Another One

Perhaps a more accurate statement might be stupidity almost gave up another one. Glad you saved it and yourself. Respect the conditions, every time, but you know that. Dennis

Bluerauder
02-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Glad that everything worked out for you. That 200 pound counterweight in the trunk could have aggravated the situation if the rear end started to sway.

In heavy rain, I will always back it down to a comfortable speed and watch for "puddling" or standing water where the drainage isn't so good.

Aren Jay
02-18-2008, 07:29 PM
One hydroplane on the Blizzak WS60 now noted.

Rocknthehawk
02-18-2008, 08:04 PM
i'm pretty sure i know which pothole you're talking about....290 going into worcester, not far after getting off 190? Nailed that huge m-f'er once and about peed myself.

Taemian
02-18-2008, 08:29 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif The Lord Almost Called Another One

Perhaps a more accurate statement might be stupidity almost gave up another one. Glad you saved it and yourself. Respect the conditions, every time, but you know that. Dennis

^^^^^^^+1; drive to the conditions.

Egon Spengler
02-19-2008, 06:22 AM
i'm pretty sure i know which pothole you're talking about....290 going into worcester, not far after getting off 190? Nailed that huge m-f'er once and about peed myself.

That's the one... and yes I know I was driving dumb for the conditions!!! It was a monday morning and I was late to work and I was also really tired... you'd figure a firefighter would know better!!

Taemian
02-19-2008, 06:41 AM
Still, we're all glad you're safe. Now stay that way!;)

Egon Spengler
02-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the support guys!!... Don't want to see any marauders get taken out or their great owners... you guys on this site are something else!!... helpful, informative, caring, etc... Makes me that much more proud to own a marauder to know that I am in good company! CHEERS