PDA

View Full Version : Just finished our 2007 Federal Income Tax return

Mike Poore
02-18-2008, 06:41 PM
I know, it's a hateful job and something we like to complain about, but every year it gets easier. I've been using TURBO TAX for the last 5 or so years, and every year the software gets better, and easier to use. I spent less than three hours from downloading the program ($36.17 at Sam's) to licking the envelope, which goes in the mail tomorrow.

I highly recommend this method of prepairing your return, and using the Turbo Tax software. See y'all at Leavenworth. ;)

Bluerauder
02-18-2008, 06:57 PM
See y'all at Leavenworth. ;)
Don't forget the Soap on a Rope, Mike. :rofl:

I am still in my procrastination period. ;) Maybe next week ... maybe not. :P

Chatam/Marauder
02-18-2008, 08:05 PM
I have been using a web site called Tax Act for the past several years and love it. This year went up a $1 to what is now $16.95 to file both Federal & State electronicaly. I received both refunds right into my checking account in a little over a week. Everything is paperless, no downloads, a very simple site to use. Give it a try, you'll be glad you did. :beer:
Now that I know how to navigate the site well, It only takes about an hour to an hour and a half from start to finsih. Or, you can just log off and finish up the next day or whatever works for your particular schedule!

martyo
02-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Only the little people pay taxes.

HwyCruiser
02-18-2008, 09:12 PM
I used H&R Block TaxCut Online again this year. I thought it was pretty good, although the state adjusted our refund by +$5 because the software didn't split our income right (we have to file two states) due to the prior year's state refund. I could go to the library and pick up the forms and do them myself but I probably would have made the same mistake. I tried looking up the rule and gave up. Even thinking about doing taxes gives me a headache.

Aren Jay
02-18-2008, 10:03 PM
That is a good idea but I have until june to file my taxes.

Takes me two hours I figure stuff out on my fingers Until I need the calculator.

sailsmen
02-18-2008, 10:14 PM
I will never forget the year our state increased the income tax. The bills sponsor said it would be rev nuetral by reducing the state sales tax on food.

As expected he was a liar. It produces 100 of millions every year.

The best part they made it retroactive and subjecto penalty. You auto had a penalty for not with holding the correct amount which is impossible when it is retroactive. I had to pay a $35 penalty.

Much like when the Feds raised the tax retro and dead people were TAXED. Talk about sick.:mad2:

Leadfoot281
02-19-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm gonna do what I do every year; Toss a garbage bag full of receipts on my tax preparers desk on April 12...and run.

BruteForce
02-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Already got my refund. :D

'Course me getting a refund is not a good thing. Means the year's revenue was lower than previous. :mad:

And this refund was big which means the shortfall from 06 to 07 was substantial. :mad2:

Good thing I wrote off the Trilogy parts and install (its a company car!) :cool:

Here take a business card... now I can write off my time on MM.net too. :rolleyes:

magindat
02-19-2008, 05:42 AM
I do turbo Tax online. For the last 5 years. It remembers everything from year to year. Home office, equipment depreciation, even which year I claim my daughter (alternate with the x).

This year a co-worker was using tax cut. As an experiment, I recommended Turbo Tax. She did both. Turbo Tax got her about 12% more money back. She owes me lunch.

LordVader
02-19-2008, 07:36 AM
I tried TaxCut last year and it was okay, but switched back to Turbo Tax. Much easier and seems to ask the right questions to keep me from visiting Mike's favorite vacation spot.

KillJoy
02-19-2008, 07:40 AM
We did Turbo Tax this year. Was pretty easy actually. About 2 hrs, and Fed and Sate were E-Filled.

Already got the Refunds back from each.

:up:

KillJoy

Cheeseheadbob
02-19-2008, 07:53 AM
What's a refund? :confused:

Already got the Refunds back from each.

:up:

KillJoy

Drewstang
02-19-2008, 07:57 AM
I'm spending my way through the federal return now, and state should be here this week. We got back a bunch this year.

MM03MOK
02-19-2008, 08:11 AM
I've used Turbo Tax ever since I started doing our taxes about 15 years ago. First I bought the software annually. For the last five or so years, I've just done it online. If you do a little searching, you might be able to find a discounted link. Last year Fidelity Investments offered clients 50% off Federal returns, but charged full price for State returns. Just checked now and this year's offer is 25% off both Fed. and State. The website says anyone can get the discount. http://personal.fidelity.com/planning/tax/do_your_taxes.shtml.cvsr

The auto-populate from the prior year is a great timesaver and a good reminder too. Your company may also provide your W2 info for downloading too. My company did that last year for the first time....very easy. If you take itemized deductions, the cost of the software is deductible the next year.

mpearce
02-19-2008, 08:34 AM
What's a refund? :confused:

Exactly.

I witheld and additional $60 bucks per paycheck, and I still owed. Time to change things up I guess. I use Turbo Tax as well...except my number in the upper left, was always red.

:bs:

-Mat

RCSignals
02-20-2008, 02:18 AM
Exactly.

I witheld and additional $60 bucks per paycheck, and I still owed. Time to change things up I guess. I use Turbo Tax as well...except my number in the upper left, was always red.

-Mat

Mat, I assume you still contributed as much as allowed to IRAs etc?

Instead of giving an extra $60 per paycheck to Sam, put it in an IRA? Maybe you already do.

Haggis
02-20-2008, 05:21 AM
What are taxes? And you pay what to the govt? It is against my religion to give money to any political entity and to have to pay money from the earnings you make working to support your family is a sin.

ctrlraven
02-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Exactly.

-Mat

Yeah I have extra money withheld for State since my company can never seem to pull enough out each year. From what I am getting back from Federal and owing State, I come out with $30!!!!!! How crappy is that.

I've used Turbo Tax for the past 4-5 years, easy and simple.

crabby125
02-20-2008, 11:29 AM
I use the Chuck Norris Method, I send a picture of Myself, crouching and ready to attack. I havent payed taxes since 1997.:banana: